• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Lakes - where to go?

We are off to the Lake district over the new yaer and was wondering if anyone had anywhere to recommend? we are staying near lake windermere and wanted some pubs/restauarnts to check out while we are there, any help would be very welcome!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I'd second L'enclume if it was open, but I'll chuck Holbeck Ghyll into the mix after a very decent lunch there earlier this year. I was expecting solid, generic 1-star fare but was pleasantly surprised by the standard. It also offers excellent views (rain permitting) across Windermere to the Langdales and, although late summer when we visited, it was virtually empty so we also had the run of the lounges that would, I suspect, be very cosy in January...

went to the lakes last year,

heard good and bad about the drunken duck, tried it, i'm in the don't like camp. Lovely place but no suggestion on the menu you were in the lakes.

sister place the punch bowl we loved, and after having a good nose around all the bedrooms would love to stay, and indeed bought parents a weekend away there.

friend who has house in lakes highly recommends the queens head at troutbeck http://www.queensheadhotel.com/index.php?o...ntpage&Itemid=1

only had a drink there though.

we stayed at gilpin lodge, which was old school charm, cooking by michelin numbers but as we stayed sunday/monday i think it might have been head chefs time off as other menus looked more exciting.

also went to hipping hall earlier this year, again lovely place, great staff but to me cooking was again a bit 'please can we have a star?' without stamping it's own personality on it, again could have been a meal in london quite easily.

you don't win friends with salad

• 2 weeks later...

Drunken Duck and the Punch Bowl seconded.

For fun meals, Jackson's in Bowness and Lucy's on a Plate in Ambleside are good and the latter's puddings are brilliant!

Mason's Arms at Strawberry Bank can be good too.

Want to try L'Enclume but it will be shut over New Year, I think when we are also going up.

Does anyone know if the Porthole has closed?

Sue

• 4 months later...

I've been dining around the Lake District for a couple of years now and have revisited some places plenty of times because they are so good. So, for anyone visiting this summer, here's a few of my recommendations;

L'Enclume - finally beginning to recieve some local support and definately the most innovative menu, book ahead for the Underground for 20 something courses

Gilpin Lodge - Recently lost its michelin star but seriously, this place is modestly priced and is an absolutely beautiful and relaxing place to dine, especially in summer. The food is delicious, the hosts down to earth and friendly.

Holbeck Ghyll - Superb views and complex, reliably good cooking and a nice place to stay.

Jericho's - An upmarket restaurant in Windemere, strikes a nice balance between high end cuisine and down to earth comfort.

The Golden Fortune - Chinese cooking equal to Royal China or Phoenix Palace in London and of course situate in the beautiful town Bowness, which is fantastic in the evening, when the crowds have died down and transforms itself into a village packed with awesome restaurants.

And I must mention The Brown Horse at Winster and The Hare and Hounds are two of the best places for 'pub food', who serve fascinatingly beautiful food far beyond what you'd expect from just any normal pub.

Edited by SaladFingers (log)

I would totally second the Brown Horse. A fantastic pub serving great food. Also try Linthwaite House for lunch, prob the best value lunch in the area, excellent food and lovely surroundings. I can also recommend Rogan and co, see my previous thread!

Gilpin Lodge - Recently lost its michelin star but seriously, this place is modestly priced and is an absolutely beautiful and relaxing place to dine, especially in summer. The food is delicious, the hosts down to earth and friendly.

say whaat. When did that happen? I went a few years ago and it was incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

Not fine dining, but worth a mention from a pure FOOD perspecitve.

Anyone doing some serious walking in the Lake District and has the biggest appetite imaginable can visit the George (Keswick) in the evening and attempt to finish The famous Gigantic Cow Pie.

gallery_60116_6052_14744.jpg

After our 11 hour walk, I was as hungry as I have ever been in my life. This picture doesn't give any sort of indication as to how big it is. Inside it, it is just PURE beef, nothing else and is about 2 1/2 inches deep. I managed just over half of it and had most of the pub watching. Was funny and even more exhausting than the walk.

It was without doubt the biggest plate of food I have ever seen, the only indication of this in the pic is look at the size of the fork and they were big chips.

I'm still full now. Even the staff member who served us warned me. I'd like someone else to try this. You'll be amazed by it's size! Good time.

Edited by SaladFingers (log)

The pie was made with shortcrust pastry and was fine to eat but as you can imagine, quite heavy on the stomach. Maybe it is okay to ask for rarer cooked beef as I'd describe what I had as 'well done' and took some eating. Still it's just decent challenge food, I'd be excited knowing someone could actually finish it.

I was in Keswick in May and we ate at the George. None of has the massive pie but as a recall the food was actually quite good (with the exception of my dish which was dreadful - typical). I had a steak which was bad, overcooked, chewy, but there were 6 of us and I tasted most of the other 5 dishes ranging from sausages to fish and they are all terrific so it may have been a one off.

Service was super and we all had a great time.

I'll leave photos out this time but we went to Linthwaite House for lunch today (£18.95 for 3 courses). What a lovely place, both in the living rooms, terrace and the dining room. Attentive staff and resoundingly good food, even the coleslaw stood out and each course was beautifully presented. Rivals Miller Howe for views, we sat on the ultra comfy couch sipping coffee for over an hour, just taking it all in. Seems to attract rather well to do people also, not sure what room prices are like.

It was my first visit but won't be my last and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I'm sure the dining rooms are even more lovely in the evening when candles are lit.

Glad you liked Linthwaite, it's one of the unsung places in the lakes, their lunch is excellent value, and food always superb, never tried it at night, £48 a head, but they do BOGOFs, so to speak occasionally in the local press.

The place is smart, they always seem to be throwing money at it, new wing being finished to add some more rooms. I think DB&B is about £240 upwards a night, per room. All prices on their website are pppn. I cant't reccommend it highly enough. Lots less chintzy then most places in the lakes.

A fellow Linthwaite House fan here. My review here:http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=40254&hl=linthwaite

Glad to hear the food is still great. We haven't really been able to afford to go back to stay (the deals are always mid-week) but lunch next time we're up that way sounds like a good plan.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a very good lunch at Gilpin Lodge on Sunday. THey have just re-furbed their main lounge, and added a bar, all very smart. I had roe deer, then pigeon for main, then an assiette of things, one having a carrot foam, which was quite daring for Gilpin. There was a couple on the table accross from us commenting on how Gilpin was furlongs behind Sharrow Bay, the food is no where near as good and how welcome they are made there and that they go at least 6 times a year. We were honered for them to slum it with us! !! :raz:

So thumbs up to Gilpin, another privately owned hotel in the lakes not resting on its laurels, every time I go they have spent more money on it. The cooking is quite safe, the clientele is very old money, but everything is first class.

Edited by spanielking (log)