• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fine Chocolate Bar Retailer in Chicago

Hello all,

I am interested in doing a chocolate tasting in Chicago, similar to the recent Kansas City one, but geared more towards people who are already professed fine chocolate bar lovers. This being the case, I am trying to find out what the best options would be in Chicago in terms of hosting the event.

Such a retailer should already have a large selection of bars from companies such as Valrhona, Michel Cluizel, Domori, Amedei, Scharffen Berger, Guittard, Pralus, and Bonnat, and should either be chocolate bar-centric, or at least put a major focus on them. Chains such as Whole Foods are not an option.

Any ideas? I have checked some of the sites that index these things such as chocolocate, but to no avail.

Thanks for any tips,

Alan

*Edited to add: I meant "selection," though the misspelling is kind of funny in a Freudian sort of way.

Edited by A Patric (log)

Well, maybe not the best place to host such an event, but a great place to find lots and lots of high-end chocolate bars is Hannah's Bretzel down in the Loop. They've got an entire wall full of chocolate from all different produces (domestic and imported). It's really a stunning selection...and really dangerous for us Loop workers who go in there at lunch.

Hannah's Bretzel

180 W. Washington

312-621-1111

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Fox & Obel? They carry lots of those high-end chocolate bars, as well as truffles from several chocolatiers. Granted, they - like Hannah's Bretzel - are not only a chocolatier. Fox and Obel is instead a complete gourmet grocery store, selling produce, meats, prepared foods, etc, with a cafe in the rear. They also host culinary classes so they have the facilities to host a demonstration/tasting such as you envision. Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Thank you to both of you.

Well, I am not concerned with finding a shop that only sells chocolate; fine foods stores are just as good.

Is Fox & Obel a chain, or is it a small business? Also, am I to assume that Hannah's Bretzel does not have the space for any sort of event?

Having sufficient space is definitely a necessity that I should have mentioned.

Thanks again,

Alan

Fox & Obel is a small chain and is highly respected in the specialty food circle.  I was very impressed when I toured them last summer during the Fancy Food Show.

Actually, Fox and Obel is a single location gourmet grocery store; their only location is on East Illinois Street in River East, near Michigan Avenue. I have heard that they have plans to open a second location in the Loop (Chicago's commercial downtown), about a mile from their main store, but AFAIK it hasn't happened yet.

You can read more about them on their website. I have found that they are very responsive when I have contacted them about various and sundry things; I would expect that they would at least respond to any inquiry (regardless of whether or not they happen to be suitable for your needs). In other words, they act like a small business making personal contact with customers, and not like a faceless corporate bureaucracy - which I suspect is what you're asking.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)