• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jelly Rolls (Swiss Rolls) -- Bake-Off XI

Kerry Beal

I received a PM from Snowangel today suggesting a Bake-Off based on jelly rolls.

The timing was perfect - I've been thinking about working up a recipe for a lemon roll based on the the one made by the Open Window Bakery in Toronto. It makes a wonderful dessert, nice tender sponge, the jelly more like lemon pie filling than lemon curd and rolled in a thin layer of coconut. One of those treats that calls out to you from it's container on the kitchen counter until you've sliced off all the pieces and there is nothing left.

Here is the Jelly Roll topic in eGullet. Check out recipeGullet which contains two recipes for jelly roll sponge from Renee K.

Many cultures seem to have some variation of the jelly or swiss roll. The Buche de Noel is one example. In searching eG I discovered something called a Pandan roll which seems to be popular in both philippine and chinese cuisines.

So, let's get out our jelly roll pans, our parchment, our nice clean linen tea towels and start playing and see what we can make in the way of swiss/jelly rolls.

Can I play????

Does anyone know where I can find a good recipe for one. I don't have one. I looked in ALL my cookbooks....

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Kerry, the Pandan roll, as I know it, is a plain or pandan-flavored jelly roll filled with pandan kaya--for lack of a better translation, coconut curd. I think Yunnermeier put a recipe up on her blog, but it's basically fresh coconut milk (I've never tried it with canned, and I don't think she has either...Tepee, what do you think?), sugar, flavored with pandan juice (blend the leaves), and eggs.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Yep, that's the pandan roll. Variations are plain/pandan-flavoured roll with kaya/pandan-flavoured kaya. To make smooth kaya, one is especially pantang (er...paranoid/superstitious is the closest translation I can think of) about getting steam or any water in it.

Here's a recipe for the roll. I'd omit the food colouring (artificial) and essence (even more artificial). And, here are recipes for pandan-flavoured kaya and palm-sugar flavoured kaya. If you can't get hold of pandan (screwpine) leaves, I don't know whether you should go ahead to make it because the pandan essences I've come across in the process of buying for an american friend all seem to smell too far from the real thing. But that was 3 years ago...perhaps, they've come up with better ones. I've only made kaya twice. I don't have the time any more to stand over the stove and stir it over a double-boiler for 2 hours. But there's nothing like licking off the spoon and pot of hot homemade kaya. Mmmm.....

Here's a great write-up by ecr (our egullet member) on kaya; comes with 2 recipes. Even if you don't have any intention of making it, it's a very good read...at least, it tells you how the real deal is so different from the canned stuff you find on your shelves.

If I go to the pasar malam (night market) this Sunday and get some kaya, I'll jump in this bake-off. I'd spread not only kaya on my roll but also whipped cream. Yum.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Can I play????

Does anyone know where I can find a good recipe for one. I don't have one. I looked in ALL my cookbooks....

Here's the two recipes from recipeGullet, Sponge Roll 1 and Sponge Roll 2 This should give you a place to start, then you need to decide what you want to fill it with.

I wonder if there is someone out there who would be willing to do a jelly/swiss roll demo for this thread?

I almost forgot Brazo de Mercedes.

It's a tasty roll made with a soft meringue sponge and a dulce de leche like filling. A little on the sweet side, but quite delicious.

You've got to try JeanneCake's recipe in the Buche de Noel thread. I've tried both vanilla and chocolate and they are very easy to make. Here's the link: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1498232

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 2 weeks later...

I did buy some kaya, but the family got to it first, eating it with my sourdough wholemeal bread and some butter, toasted. Hubby came home tonight looking very pleased with himself for buying some great durians (the season's here, yay!) for a bargain. I took half of it and made filling (2 durian: 1 whipped cream) for a roll. Decadent! But, I suspect this is not going to be as enthusiastically received here as my family. Everyone took more than one helping each. For the roll, I used this recipe, my go to base recipe for a ton of desserts. I was crossing my fingers, as I didn't have any cornstarch left in the house this evening...so I used tapioca flour...and, happily, it worked. :smile:

OK...hold your noses....

gallery_12248_5494_30443.jpg

Edited for grammatical (sp? now) error.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Beautiful!!

We are finally digging ourselves out here from the storm and another may come. So heaven knows at this point when I will get to a store to buy stuff to make this, I hope this evening. If my camera can get a decent picture I will post it

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Made a buche de noel on Sunday. Fast and easy.

Pretty, and delicious. No pix.

Cake was from Joy of Cooking.

choc genoise, syrup = kahlua, frosting/filling = faux mousse (whipped cream and melted chocolate, well merged). Made a nice rough textured bark, and light but very rich cake. Next time, finessing touches like multi-colored bark!

I finally want a spray bottle for the kitchen, to apply the syrup. Brushing it on was a pain.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 4 months later...

Thanks prasantrin and Kerry Beal,

I didnt make the kaya, bought from store. Over here in my country (Malaysia) kaya is readily available and best of all, they are homemade! That's why you can see the kaya is thick.

The recipe for the cake can be found here

I did a mistake of spreading too much kaya on the cake. The cake end up a bit too sweet :wub:

Nonetheless, the cake is soft and moist!

• 2 years later...

DSCN0787.jpg

In a jelly roll experimenting mood. This is my first successful one - still needs work though. Used the sponge roll number 1 from recipeGullet, but screwed it up a bit - neglected to notice that the eggs should have been separated - beat them to a ribbon with the sugar. I think the recipe is a good starting point though.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

• 2 years later...

Hi, Im clearly not a baker, so I have a question. Is Jelly Roll batter different than regular cake OR cake mix, like white Duncan Hines?

I know this is a stupid question...

No such thing as a stupid question. The cake used for a jelly roll is different from a mix cake; it has no fat except that from the eggs, and no (or little) milk/liquid. It is often called a "sponge."