• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Catastrophe

rlibkind

An accident on the Schuylkill Expressway has put a major dent in the availability of high-quality pork in Philadelphia.

About two weeks ago Country Time Farm's owners Paul and Ember Crivellaro were injured when their truck was rammed from behind by a tractor-trailer on the expressway. Both were hospitalized overnight in ICU, but the injuries turned out to be less severe than initially feared. For that, we are all grateful.

The pork they were bringing to town wound up cushioning the blow and may have helped save them from more serious injury or death. But the pork was lost. And there's no word on how soon the Crivellaros will be able to produce, butcher and distribute more product.

In the meantime, stocks are low. At the Fair Food Farmstand at the Reading Terminal Market today only a handful of packages of boneless cutlets and one pack of chops were available.

The Crivellaros also supply a number of restaurants with their pork.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Thank goodness that the Crivellaros are safe-- and I'll refrain from making off-topic comments about the aptly named Schoolkill Expressway.

But to this:

The pork they were bringing to town wound up cushioning the blow and may have helped save them from more serious injury or death. But the pork was lost.

all I can say is: we salute you, hero pork!

or to put it another way:

that's SOME PIG!

Thank goodness that the Crivellaros are safe-- and I'll refrain from making off-topic comments about the aptly named Schoolkill Expressway.

But to this:

The pork they were bringing to town wound up cushioning the blow and may have helped save them from more serious injury or death. But the pork was lost.

all I can say is: we salute you, hero pork!

or to put it another way:

that's SOME PIG!

At least the spirit of 76 now has a cute curly tail.

Dough can sense fear.

• 2 weeks later...

The Crivarellos are expected to begin making deliveries of Country Time pork products shortly after Thanksgiving. That word comes from the Fair Food Farmstand email newsletter. Until then, the other CT products the FFF offers are scrapple, butt roast, loin roast, cutlets and various sausages and hot dogs.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report