• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lee's Chicken (Burnaby)

Panda

I thought Lee's Chicken on Kingsway had closed down for good. Didn't think it was too much of a loss, except that I no longer had a place for Korean fried chicken relatively close to home. Even when the place first opened it looked like a rundown little shack. Dimly lit with some odd looking plants in inconvenient places, the place looked neglected. There was a huge grill dedicated to teriyaki, except it was never used. The menu was faded and it seemed like it sold a bit of this and that, without much effort or really focusing on anything.

Recently I heard from my dad that Lee's had reopened...and it was good. The man responsible for reopening has been in the restaurant business for years. First he opened the little foodcourt inside of Hannam before moving onto the seafood restaurant "Blue Ocean" across from Han Ah Ruhm, both located on North Road. He's also run and worked in some other places that I can't remember now.

Getting to the point, the place has been renovated and actually looks like a restaurant now. Tables are mostly full at night and it seems to be getting busier. It's understandable with their decent portions and fair prices. With plates of crisp chicken for $13.99 and noodle dishes starting at $6.99. They even have a nice variation on a classic black bean noodle dish where they've added hot peppers to it. In the last 2 weeks I've been there 3 times. It seems they're still working out a few things with the menu. There were 2 items that I've had that I wasn't too happy with but overall the quality of the food is good. It's not fine dining but I'm happy to have a place for some good Korean comfort food so close to home.

Some pictures to look over for anyone interested. I'll probably head back and try some new things when I can.

I thought Lee's Chicken on Kingsway had closed down for good. Didn't think it was too much of a loss, except that I no longer had a place for Korean fried chicken relatively close to home. Even when the place first opened it looked like a rundown little shack. Dimly lit with some odd looking plants in inconvenient places, the place looked neglected. There was a huge grill dedicated to teriyaki, except it was never used. The menu was faded and it seemed like it sold a bit of this and that, without much effort or really focusing on anything.

Recently I heard from my dad that Lee's had reopened...and it was good. The man responsible for reopening has been in the restaurant business for years. First he opened the little foodcourt inside of Hannam before moving onto the seafood restaurant "Blue Ocean" across from Han Ah Ruhm, both located on North Road. He's also run and worked in some other places that I can't remember now.

Getting to the point, the place has been renovated and actually looks like a restaurant now. Tables are mostly full at night and it seems to be getting busier. It's understandable with their decent portions and fair prices. With plates of crisp chicken for $13.99 and noodle dishes starting at $6.99. They even have a nice variation on a classic black bean noodle dish where they've added hot peppers to it. In the last 2 weeks I've been there 3 times. It seems they're still working out a few things with the menu. There were 2 items that I've had that I wasn't too happy with but overall the quality of the food is good. It's not fine dining but I'm happy to have a place for some good Korean comfort food so close to home.

Some pictures to look over for anyone interested. I'll probably head back and try some new things when I can.

Ooh ooh exciting. I was planning to get some Lee's this weekend (yum!)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 2 weeks later...

Have been watching this Korean show that has people eating jjajangmyeon all the time. Will have to get some this week. Wish they had jjajangmyeon delivery at all hours here like they do in Korea *sigh*.