• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay to quit the Connaught?

The article said the disagreement was about Room Service. So do the better hotel restaurants generally have another kitchen do room service?

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Tragic, the whole thing. The glorious restaurant(s) at the Connaught should never have been closed like that. There's nothing in that style in London now, and I suppose there never will be, notwithstanding the repellent and untrue comments made by Angela Hartnett on the state of the restaurant before she took over.

In general, and from my own (extremely limited) hotel experience, it's usually another and seperate kitchen.  I am open to correction, though.

From my own equally extremely limited hotel experience, I would agree.

ditto, certainly so at the Marriott Bristol with its Michael Caines resto

From The Irish Independent:
Gordon Ramsay is closing one of the crown jewels in his restaurant empire, prompting fears that his off-screen career may be on the verge of collapsing like a poorly timed souffle.

Link to article.

Interesting Henny Penny spin, considering it seems like a reasonable action on Ramsay's part, but a topical piece from an Irish perspective as Ramsay is due to open his new restaurant in Enniskerry, just outside Dublin in October.

The word is that the chef's table is already booked out for months.

I am just wondering what effect (if any) this closure is going to have on both Pétrus and Gordon Ramsay's at Claridges. After all they are both located in hotels that are also run by the Maybourne hotel group, the same that operates the Connaught. Can you fall out with somebody in one place and be friends and good business partners in another?

Edited by ameiden (log)

I would imagine that the financial benefits and prestige could overcome most disagreements between business partners - particularly when they are ultimately answerable to shareholders, so turning away such high quality business would likely not be viewed as in the interests of the ultimate business.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

The article said the disagreement was about Room Service.

Kinda confusing - my understanding is very clear that prior to the closure of the Connaught for refurbishment earlier this year, Ramsay serviced _all_ the food and beverage requirements for the Connaught. I have since found references to this, including Ramsay's own website, "Gordon Ramsay Holdings Limited took over the whole of the food and beverage operation at The Connaught Hotel": http://www.gordonramsay.com/corporate/theman/biography/.

To me that most certainly includes room service.

Like the closure of Amarylis, I fear we are getting a jackanory dreamt up by Ramsay's PR agency and this is not the genuine reason.

Cheers, Howard

I am just wondering what effect (if any) this closure is going to have on both Pétrus and Gordon Ramsay's at Claridges. After all they are both located in hotels that are also run by the Maybourne hotel group, the same that operates the Connaught. Can you fall out with somebody in one place and be friends and good business partners in another?

excellent point.

you are entirely right, if Gordo has fallen out with them over one group, then he has fallen out. period.

however the other restaurants will have a contract ongoing, but when that is up for renewal...

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

• 2 weeks later...

As far as his ther operations go I'm led to believe that Claridge's has a 25 year lease on it and that Petrus at the Berkely had about a 10 year lease. However for some reason the boxwood lease was a lot shorter and is indeed likely to close next year from what I understand. Although I think this is quite a shame as it has seemed to have built up a good loyal clientele and has quite a good atmosphere for one of the GR group (only maze is better for atmosphere in my opinion).