• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clayton's kola tonic

gethin

i've just aquired a bottle of Clayton's Kola Tonic- (now made in Barbados- but apparently first produced in London in 1880).

does anyone know how this compares to the Rose's Kola tonic ?

Other than the Filmograph -which i plan to try asap- any other thoughts on possible uses ?

Gethin

Cool!

I was wondering who Clayton was! Now I know!

Clayton's Special Cocktail

1/2 Bacardi Rum

1/4 Kola Tonic

1/4 Sirop-de-Citron

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

Search for Cola in the cocktaildb, while it currently doesn't seem to differentiate between Coca Cola and Kola/Cola tonic, I think it is pretty easy to tell which recipes ones are calling for which. Kola and Sirop de Citron does seem to be a popular combo.

edit - And, oh, hey, Mr. bostonapothecary seems to have a bottle, and has mentioned it in this topic: The Magic of a Good Mixer

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

i drink a huge amout of kola nut tonic.... and i've given many bottles away to many bars....

i mainly mix it with over proof rum like lemon heart demerara 151 which unfortunately very few people have realized the virtues of....

bat eyes (to represent the sugarcane shanty towns and the back end of the carribiean flavor profile)

1 oz. lemonheart 151

1 oz. kola nut tonic

1/2 oz. cynar

flamed orange twist

swahili cocktail (named by patrons and not by me....)

1/1/2 oz. wray and nephews overproof

1 oz. kola nut tonic

1 oz. granadilla juice (similar acidity to lemonjuice...another name for passion fruit)

1/4 oz. simple syrup (to make the brix a croud pleaser)

closest twist at hand....

grizzly (for the lunch croud)

1 oz. kola nut tonic

1 oz. lime juice

4 oz. ginger beer

its just fun.... because us roughneck cacos can't drink clairin all day long....

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

• 5 months later...
Where can one find Claytons kola tonic?

i'm afraid i drank it all.... it was fun while it lasted.... i'm gonna check in with all the people i gave bottles to and see if they can give whats left back.... else we will have to wait for the reformulation....

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com