• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocoa Craziness

Aria B.

I've always used non-Dutch processed cocoa in my baking. I now have some recipes I want to try that call for Dutch processed cocoa specifically. I was reading another topic that said a CI article came out and they didn't find a difference between the two. Many of you chimed in and said you find the flavor to be superior with Dutched.

So, it seems that substituting one for the other isn't a problem (I think?). I'd like to try Dutched now but can't find it in my town. The closest I saw was Hershey's Dark which says it is a mix of Dutch and non-Dutch. Do many of you order yours online (I'm a home baker so don't need a huge quantity)? I live in a medium sized town with a few different grocery store options. What brand would I be looking for? Thanks!

Aria in Oregon

Hello Aria,

I've heard the new Hershey's Dark is inferior, so I'd avoid it. Droste cocoa (this is a differently designed box than the one I linked you to below, and for some reason is more expensive even though it's the same weight), is excellent and can be found in many grocery stores, and specialty stores. Otherwise, you can order it online at Amazon, etc. Pernigotti is another good one, but is more expensive than Droste, and can be found at Williams-Sonoma.

Edited to add: I just checked Amazon, and the Droste at the following link - different design, and more reasonably priced, is currently unavailable, but there are lots of other online sources. Here's what the box looks like, and this is the one you'd be most likely to find in your local stores:

http://www.amazon.com/Droste-DC9727-Cocoa/...601&pf_rd_i=ybh

Here's another site selling Droste:

http://www.shopgourmetsmarket.com/fine_foo...g/droste_cocoa/

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Hello Aria,

I've heard the new Hershey's Dark is inferior, so I'd avoid it. Droste cocoa is excellent and can be found in many grocery stores, and specialty stores. Otherwise, you can order it online at Amazon, etc. Pernigotti is another good one, but is more expensive than Droste, and can be found at Williams-Sonoma.

edited to add: I just checked Amazon, and Droste is currently unavailable, but there are lots of other online sources. here's what the box looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/Droste-DC9727-Cocoa/...601&pf_rd_i=ybh

An excellent source for these things, including Dutch process cocoa is King Arthur Flour. You can get to their web site at King Arthur Flour. Their dutch process cocoa can be found here.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I'd like to try Dutched now but can't find it in my town.  The closest I saw was Hershey's Dark which says it is a mix of Dutch and non-Dutch.    Do many of you order yours online (I'm a home baker so don't need a huge quantity)?  I live in a medium sized town with a few different grocery store options.  What brand would I be looking for?  Thanks!

If you do decide to order online, you can get a 1kg bag of Callebaut for $20 from ChocolateSource.com.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I'd like to try Dutched now but can't find it in my town. 

Welcome to my world! I needed some for a recipe that specifically called for it. I searched high and low and eventually found some at a new grocery discount chain that recently opened in my town. I kept finding regular cocoa and the ocassional imported box of dutch processed cocoa ($11 a box? No thanks!) in most grocery stores.

I wish you luck in finding some in your town!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Let me add a bit to try to elevate this to a national or international crisis!!!! :shock:

In the past week, I've tried to order dutch processed cocoa (Callebaut, Peringotti and Droste) for my store from four different distributors. Not one of my distributors had any of those three brands (or any others) in stock and available. So there is no dp cocoa in southwest New Mexico either...oh the horror of horrors!