• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lancaster restaurants 2007

Tom

A group of fiber artists with work in the new juried exhibit at the Lancaster Art Museum are looking for an early dinner. Posted recommendations are now a little dated, so I'm hoping for some current suggestions. (Mike are you still there?)

A place with vegetarian options would be welcome, as would authentic Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine. But good food with local ingredients matters most.

Thanks!

Tom

One place that uses many local products is John Jeffries in the Lancaster Arts Hotel on Harrisburg Pike. Very good things are happening here. Has not proved to be extremely popular here,mostly I think due to pricing, but this may be the best use of local products from Lancaster organic sources.

John Jeffries

Just up the street from the new museum site is the Belvedere. Well prepared food here as well. There specialty is game items. This game is not local in most cases but is presented correctly.

Belvedere

Tim Carr at Carr's Restaurant also makes use of local ingredients. Have always very much liked Carr's. They can also produce a good cocktail.

Carr's

Another new BYO place that uses local ingredients is Effie Ophelia. I must tell you I have NOT dined here, but have heard very good things from folks I know and trust.

Effie Ophelia

For a more casual, but very good experience, we love Characters Pub. The home of Lancaster's best burger they do an excellent job with a pub style menu. There beef and pork entrees feature meats from a local farm.

All the above are within easy walking distance of the museum.

I always hesitate to make any recommendations regarding PA Dutch style eating. The places that Percy talks about are mostly tourist places with low quality product. Most of these places are akin to the seafood buffet places you see at the beach.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

There are a couple PA Dutch buffet places along rt 30 in Lancaster and a few minutes away off Rt 340 in Bird-in-hand and Intercourse.

I always thought that these joints were way too expensive unless you eat like an Amish horse.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. The group of us had a fine meal at John Jeffries in the Lancaster Arts Hotel.

Chef Sean Cavanaugh described their commitment to seasonal, organic and, when possible, local foods. Although we did stray (Fanny Bay oysters, Alaskan halibut), everything was nicely cooked and presented with mostly local meats and produce.

There are a couple PA Dutch buffet places along rt 30 in Lancaster and a few minutes away off Rt 340 in Bird-in-hand and Intercourse.

I always thought that these joints were way too expensive unless you eat like an Amish horse.

We are heading to Lancaster in the morning....If I get a hankering to tie on a feedbag, anyone have an opinion of the best local buffet? I dont want to miss the crispiest chicken, porkiest pork, or sweetest pie....any breakfast ideas this Is a vacation and I plan to eat accordingly :raz:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We are heading to Lancaster in the morning....If I get a hankering to tie on a feedbag, anyone have an opinion of the best local buffet? I dont want to miss the crispiest chicken, porkiest pork, or sweetest pie....any breakfast ideas this Is a vacation and I plan to eat accordingly :raz:

tracey

I am no fan but the king of them all is Shady Maple, an enormous room of food. You can eat till you cannot any longer move if you so desire.

Shady Maple

For a nice breakfast buffet we, on rare occasion, go to Willow Valley, which is not fa from our house. The breakfast buffet is not bad at all.

Willow Valley

I would urge you to avoid Millers. As stated above I am not a real fan of any of these places, but Millers is real bad

For breakfast don't forget one of my favorite Lancaster spots

La Dolce Vita

For a good diner breakfast try the Neptune Diner

Neptune

For some reason they don't have their address on the web page, it is at 924 N.Prince St in Lancaster.

Rachel's Cafe & Creperie at 309 N. Queen St is a nice little place for a breakfast crepe.

Have a nice trip Tracey, let me know were you went.

OK 2 days in Lancaster County

Day 1

Breakfast - 1 peach at home

Lunch - bison and venison sausage sandwiches and fries at Cabellas sporting goods store on Rt 78

Dinner -

Ok here goes - We Ate the Whole thing... Shadey Maple's huge buffet...

some of it was good :biggrin:

buttered thick nubley noodles

baby beets

dried corn - like a corn pudding

apple dumplings swimming in a golden syrup

and the Vat of whipped butter next to the tasty enough dinner rolls

and some was highly edible :hmmm:

it was steak night...all those steaks wanted was a hot grill

ham

broasted chicken

cherry cheesecake-like dessert

and then there were things like :wacko:

the chili (not mine)

BBQ (ketchup) sauced keilbasa

and.....why were there ground up maraschino cherries in the salad bar?? not that I mind but why?

If you choose carefully you can have a good meal here but who is careful when confronted by a sea of food?

$31.90 for 2

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Day 2

Breakfast - cereal, doughnut, and juice at the hotel

Lunch - ummm brownie, pretzles and beverages on the steam train ride in the 1st class car

Dinner -

Carrs Restaurant in downtown Lancaster

:biggrin: OH MY :biggrin:

gallery_23695_426_555741.jpg

My starter was the Hot Crab, Artichoke and Spinach dip served with toasts, crackers, chilled steamed asparagus and broccoli and roasted veg

His was the Bruschetta with sliced herbed tomatoes, prosciutto and mozzerella all toasted together over baby greems and cracked olives

A baby greens with poppy seed citrus dressing and caesar salad up next, then

My main was the Veal Oscar with oh so tender slices of veal topped with proscuitto and mozz in a red wine sauce side by side with 5 huge lumps of crab sectioned with steamed asparagus on a tart creamy white wine sauce

His was grass fed Beef Tenderloin with carmelized onions, local mushrooms, blue cheese and a creamy red wine sauce served with Potato crisp cylindars filled with mashed potatoes

did someone say dessert?

I chose the carmelized banana cake and Karls was the chocolate creme brulee and an espresso

I think I was even more stuffed after this than the buffet

$106.00 plus tip

thank you mike

Tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

Maxine

My Webpage

Tracey - Glad you enjoyed Carr's! Since the original thread started with promoting local ingredients, as you now know, owner chef Tim Carr's great with that (as is Sean at John J Jeffries). In fact, on Market days you can also find Tim behind the counter at his own market stand - where he works with local farmers to provide (when available) things like artisan raw milk cheeses (from an Amish guy's cheese cave) - yum!

So many people coming into Lancaster think *all* we have is the big PA Dutch smorgasbords - and those are fine if that's what you're looking for, but we locals know of all the great fine dining spots!

In addition to Carr's and John J Jeffries, also check out Checkers Bistro on Mulberry and James, the Meritage in Mount Joy, or Annie Bailey's (fun Irish pub)!

Day 2

Breakfast  -  cereal, doughnut, and juice at the hotel

Lunch  -  ummm brownie, pretzles and beverages on the steam train ride in the 1st class car

Dinner  - 

My starter was the Hot Crab, Artichoke and Spinach dip served with toasts, crackers, chilled steamed asparagus and broccoli and roasted veg

His was the Bruschetta with sliced herbed tomatoes, prosciutto and mozzerella all toasted together over baby greems and cracked olives

My main was the Veal Oscar with oh so tender slices of veal topped with proscuitto and mozz in a red wine sauce side by side with 5 huge lumps of crab sectioned with steamed asparagus on a tart creamy white wine sauce

His was grass fed Beef Tenderloin with carmelized onions, local mushrooms, blue cheese and a creamy red wine sauce served with Potato crisp cylindars filled with mashed potatoes

did someone say dessert?

I chose the carmelized banana cake and Karls was the chocolate creme brulee and an espresso

$106.00 plus tip

thank you mike

Tracey

Day 2

Breakfast  -  cereal, doughnut, and juice at the hotel

Lunch  -  ummm brownie, pretzles and beverages on the steam train ride in the 1st class car

Dinner  - 

did someone say dessert?

$106.00 plus tip

thank you mike

Tracey

Tracey,

I'm glad you liked Carr's. Tim can cook and he does a nice job with the local stuff. he is a good guy as well. I am also glad you survived Shady Maple. All I can say is better you than I.

• 1 year later...

Will be visiting Lancaster County for a weekend and looking for a restaurant with great food with an emphasis on local specialties/ingredients. I have only 1 night (Saturday) for dinner and would like to take advantage of it.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by gatilgan (log)

Will be visiting Lancaster County for a weekend and looking for a restaurant with great food with an emphasis on local specialties/ingredients. I have only 1 night (Saturday) for dinner and would like to take advantage of it.

Thanks

Don't have a whole lot to add to my list above from last year. If you have some specific question about were you are staying and how much you may wish to spend I could narrow things down for you.

I can only concur with Mike's wonderful suggestions - Checkers is my new favorite downtown - not necessarily locally grown (Carr's is my favorite there, seconded by JJ Jeffries), but a lovely menu nonetheless (Try the duck tacos - to DIE for). You can't go wrong with Carr's - and owner Tim Carr is top notch - for the focus on the whole buy fresh, buy local angle. Sean at JJ Jeffries is the same - everything (except seafood, obviously) is said to be obtained from local farmers. I haven't been to JJ Jeffries in longer than I'd care to admit (a change in jobs doesn't bring me to downtown Lancaster as frequently in the evenings), but his bison short ribs are a definite highlight.

Also fun for a drink or lighter meal is Fenz - just around the corner from JJ Jeffries and the Lancaster Arts Hotel. Funky bar/restaurant - takes comfort food and gives it a gourmet twist. I didn't love dinner there quite as much as I do at some of the other places, but I have to admit, the pickle fries (I know - sounds gross - but they're delicious) are hard to beat.

Thanks

Don't have a whole lot to add to my list above from last year. If you have some specific question about were you are staying and how much you may wish to spend I could narrow things down for you.

I'll be staying in Lititz but don't mind to travel for great food. My budget is flexible for 1 great restaurant experience.

Edited by gatilgan (log)

Thanks

JJ Jeffries or Carr's remain at the top of my list. Anither top notch spot is Gibraltor. The are mostly a seafood place so the local angle does not come into as much play, but this may be lancaster's best place. My wife took me there for my birthday the other week and it was outstanding.

we also like fenz for a drink and the bar menu. I know some who tout the General Suter Inn in Lititz. I have not been ther in a LONG time so I can't comment. Drive down to Lancaster and I think you will be happy.

I'll be staying in Lititz but don't mind to travel for great food. My budget is flexible for 1 great restaurant experience.

• 1 month later...

Thanks

JJ Jeffries or Carr's remain at the top of my list. Anither top notch spot is Gibraltor. The are mostly a seafood place so the local angle does not come into as much play, but this may be lancaster's best place. My wife took me there for my birthday the other week and it was outstanding.

we also like fenz for a drink and the bar menu. I know some who tout the General Suter Inn in Lititz. I have not been ther in a LONG time so I can't comment. Drive down to Lancaster and I think you will be happy.

We did go to Carr's and we liked very much.

We shared oyster stew. It was a very generous portion with very tasty seasoning. They told me it includes some old bay seasoning, tabasco, butter with very plump oysters.

We had Grilled Medallions of Beef and daily special of striped bass and finished with cobbler. Overall, very good meal and very good value.

Thanks