• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bangkok's Saochingcha (Giant Swing) Area

If you plan to visit Bangkok, here is a useful guide to street-level vendors in an area known among locals for the food. It's hard to find a vendor here not offering the very best of whatever they specialize in. Many of these guys have been in the same shop for over 20 years and have the Shell Shuan Shim certification. The area is fairly small so once you get there, all of the shops mentioned are within short walking distance.

I prepared the information together with my Thai family. Hope you enjoy it.

http://importfood.com/saochingcha_guide.html

Thanks very much for this, Import.

It's a fun part of town, and I'll try to eat my way through your guide in September.

One question, what's the story with the Golden Pig statue in that part of town?

Cheers,

peter

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks very much for this, Import.

It's a fun part of town, and I'll try to eat my way through your guide in September.

One question, what's the story with the Golden Pig statue in that part of town?

Cheers,

peter

Hi Peter,

Hope you enjoy eating the street food there. Thanks for your note. I am not sure about the Golden Pig statue but this year is the Pee Moo Thong (Year of the Golden Pig). From what I heard, the Year of the Pig comes along every 12 years but the year of the Golden Pig is only 2x in 60 years. Perhaps it's something to do with that but I'm not sure.