• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Ice cream maker within $60

pimptenshi

Well I'm totally clueless about Ice Cream makers.

I'm tempted to buy either this one or this one, both from Cuisinart.

I have a blender from Cuisinart for 2 years and I love it! IMO, Cuisinart is a nice brand and probably these ice cream machines are at least good and the stainless steel finish makes me want it just to decorate my kitchen, but I'd appreciate any comments from ice cream machine owners. :biggrin:

Thanks in advance!

We have a cuisineart and are happy with it. The avantage with the first one you linked is that it has too bowls, so you can make more than one batch without refreezing the bowl.

Happy Ice Cream making!

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Two bowls is definitely an advantage, they can take a while to freeze completely and if they're not completely frozen your ice cream won't freeze. I have a one-bowl freezer of that type at home and if I couldn't use the freezer at the restaurant I would already have replaced it with one that doesn't require freezing the bowl. It's annoying to me to make a small batch of ice cream and not be able to make more until the next day.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you're anywhere near Williams-Sonoma, you can get this Cuisinart for $60 and it includes an extra bowl. The first one you linked to (the duo) is a refurbished product, so buyer beware and all that. The second one, once shipping is factored in, comes out to more than $60, depending on where you live.

If you're anywhere near Williams-Sonoma, you can get this Cuisinart for $60 and it includes an extra bowl.  The first one you linked to (the duo) is a refurbished product, so buyer beware and all that.  The second one, once shipping is factored in, comes out to more than $60, depending on where you live.

I have this model and have been very happy with it. I keep the bowl in the freezer. 1 1/2 qts homemade ice cream has been more than enough for us (shorter shelf life than commercial).

Hi pimptenshi (welcome to the eGullet forums!)

The Kitchen Consumer topic can be found here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=37816

Good luck! I envy that you have so many options! I saw one today being sold at a deli for about $800 (then again, it had its own compressor, but still...)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

If you're anywhere near Williams-Sonoma, you can get this Cuisinart for $60 and it includes an extra bowl.  The first one you linked to (the duo) is a refurbished product, so buyer beware and all that.  The second one, once shipping is factored in, comes out to more than $60, depending on where you live.

Hi thanks for the link, unfortunately I'm about 4 thousand miles away from there :raz:

I ended up purchasing the single bowl one from ebay. It was one of the few sellers who would ship to my country =( And in the end it will fit much better in my kitchen than the refurb duo one =)

Oh I was in fact taking shipping into account and the the total came to $150, yes I did pay $110 for Express shipping - in fact my wife did, it was her valentine's day gift to me :laugh:

Unfortunately the good stuff are just too expensive in my country, the one you linked for instance costs about $250 with no extra bowl =(

I hope I can have fun once it arrives!

EDIT: @jumanggy oh I also do envy them.

@mods: Sorry if I posted on the wrong section!

Edited by pimptenshi (log)

Your wife's very sweet :smile: I too thought of buying over eBay, but factoring in the cost of shipping, I decided to wait until a relative visits from the States. Till then, my dreams of frozen yoghurt, homemade ice cream, frozen fruit salad, and endless sorbets will remain unrealized..

Happy ice-cream-making!

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.