• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Christian Constant Restaurant

ann

In response to a question a friend recently asked Catherine Comment, Ms. Comment answered: "I can categorically say that none of our restaurants are closed. All three of them, Les Fables de la Fontaine, Le Violon d’Ingres and Le Café Constant are open as usual. I think what might be leading to the confusion is a FOURTH new restaurant that we are in the process of constructing is next door to the Violon d’Ingres.This is due to open around the end of May and will be called Les Cocottes de Christian Constant. (a cocotte is a small casserole dish that we are going to use to serve all the dishes in—its also a word for a girlfiend like ‘a chick’ it’s a bit old fashioned)."

Excuse me if this news has been posted before.

• 2 months later...

Les Cocottes have just opened, it seems -- see Caroline Mignot's report. I look forward to checking it out. The great news is that it is (so far) open every day.

No phone number yet, but it is on the same Rue Saint-Dominique block as the others, and they don't take reservations anyway!

Clotilde.

....a FOURTH new restaurant that we are in the process of constructing is next door to the Violon d’Ingres.This is due to open around the end of May and will be called Les Cocottes de Christian Constant.

Monday, June 25th Les Cocottes opened next door (eg Eastward) to the Violin. It has the same decoration as the new Fables, faux-informal lettering on faux-slate walls, and serves breakfast (at 9 E), tapas (2 E apiece), wines by the glass and bottle and a range of food from salads (9 E), soups (7 E), verrines (8 E), quiche/etc's (7 E), cocottes with daurade, cod, etc. (12 E), desserts (6 E) and a daily special (today's was a contre filet a la plancha with mixed salad for 24 E.)

I did NOT eat at Les Cocottes , having already dejeuned at the Violin with French pals (203 well spent Euros for 4 great meals, Disclosure: we were comp'd the dessert, a souffle, for complicated reasons, including abominable service.) But M. Constant was installed, as it were, at Les Cocottes at the bar by the entrance (as he had at the Cafe Constant in the beginning) eating a "sandwich" of what looked to be very fine Spanish or Basque ham and indicated he still had no cards and reservations were not taken; he wants folks to drop in at all hours.

The place was packed.

I'll be back as soon as I get rid of these pesky friends, pals and Colette.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 4 weeks later...

Yes indeed a great answer to fast food! We had a nice lunch here yesterday dining on two cocottes; one with prawns and greek veggies, the other with cabillaud, crispy pig's foot and rustic veggies. Both were quite tasty, but not outstanding (I am not complaining for 12 Euros!). The wine list had a great selection of incredibly reasonable glasses and bottles. We paid 3 Euros a glass for some crisp rosé (Lillet, which I adore and for some reason is difficult to find here, was also only 3 Euros a glass). The place was packed at 13h30 when we arrived and they told us it was a 20 min wait, but we only waited about 5 min. I would recommend getting a salad or soup in addition to the cocottes, the portions are light. One negative was the noise, it was awfully loud. And I had the feeling at times that I was in a Staub showroom... not only is everything served in Staubs, but there is a huge wall of Staubs for purchase at the front. Overall:Very clever and well-designed space for a tasty quick lunch.