• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta Salad for Father's Day

tippingvelvet

Need to bring a Pasta Salad to a Father's Day Celebration.

Anyone have a favorite recipe they'd like to share.

(As a side note, I'm debating whether or not to substitute Whole Whole Pasta. Good or Bad Idea??? :blink: Anyone have any experience with cold Whole Wheat Pasta?)

Need to  bring a Pasta Salad to a Father's Day Celebration.

Anyone have a favorite recipe they'd like to share. 

I have a chickpea salad recipe that is a big favourite with family and friends that I keep intending to add pasta to - I think a short tubular pasta would be best. Here's the basic chickpea and raisin salad recipe.

one can (400 gm) chickpeas, or the equivalent in cooked dried beans

3 tablespoons raisins or sultanas

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

3 green onions, sliced

1 clove of garlic, crushed

the shredded rind and juice of one lemon (or lime)

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar (any vinegar will do, but the raspberry is incredible)

1/2 teaspoon of sugar if you wish.

It is best if it is made a few hours before, and it keeps for a few days in the fridge, the raisins just get softer.

I'd make more of the dressing stuff and add the cooked pasta.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I like to make a salad of tortellini and marinated artichoke hearts. I add other things depending on whim (finely chopped red onion, slivers of bell pepper in red or other shades, sliced pitted black olives, chiffonaded basil, etc.). I dress this in a nice mustardy vinaigrette; depending on the flavor of the brine in which the artichoke hearts were marinated, I sometimes add some of that to the vinaigrette too. Tortellini in different colors are always fun in this too.

The whole-wheat pastas I've used I thought a bit too rough-textured to be enjoyable in a cold salad, but maybe that's just me. I also understand there's some newer whole-wheat pastas out there that have a smoother texture, but I just haven't gotten around to trying them.

There is a terrific seafood pasta salad in the original "Silver Palate" cookbook.

Shrimp, bay scallops, fuselli, peas ... basil puree.

Wonderful & looks good too.

I'll try to post the recipe on my blog later today if I can find the time to type it up.

I have a really good dead simple recipe that I picked up in Italy. It's important to use the freshest, lovliest ingredients.

Tomatoes, just the flesh (peeled and de-seeded), cut into cubes

Basil

Mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes

Parmegiano, grated

Ricotta

Olive oil, the best you can get

Garlic clove (peeled but whole, just slightly crushed with a knife)

You basically mix these and allow to marinate for a while, all uncooked. The flavours mingle and ummm... its lovely. Season only just before serving, otherwise the salt drains the juice from the tomatoes.

When I had it, the pasta was kind of wagon wheel shaped, but I think most would be ok.

I agree with the mizducky about whole wheat being too rough for a salad. I think a smoother texture would be better, for this one anyway.

I agree with the others and wouldn't use 100% whole wheat pasta. However, if you're looking for something a little healthier than the typical pasta, Barilla puts out a line called "Barilla Plus," which is a mixture of semolina and various whole grains. It's excellent, so you might want to check that out.

Here are two recipes that sound good:

ANTIPASTO PASTA SALAD

http://www.recipezaar.com/88585

DELI-STYLE PASTA SALAD

http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/salads/pas...yle-pasta1.html

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

There's a really lovely pasta salad put together by Emeril Lagasse. It's made with grilled chicken breasts and uses penne pasta. These are mixed with yellow and red grape tomatoes, feta, olives and tossed with an arugula/walnut pesto. I really don't see why you couldn't substitute grilled shrimp (maybe some grilled sea scallops too) for the chicken and make it a real showstopper. Here's a link to the recipe:

Emeril's Arugula Pesto Pasta Salad

Good luck.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I agree with the others and wouldn't use 100% whole wheat pasta. However, if you're looking for something a little healthier than the typical pasta, Barilla puts out a line called "Barilla Plus," which is a mixture of semolina and various whole grains. It's excellent, so you might want to check that out.

Here are two recipes that sound good:

ANTIPASTO PASTA SALAD

http://www.recipezaar.com/88585

DELI-STYLE PASTA SALAD

http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/salads/pas...yle-pasta1.html

I have to agree with you on the Barilla Plus. I picked up a box last week and made a pasta salad with dinner. This was way better than any low carb, whole wheat pasta I've tried in the past.

I use both a bag of the Hodson Mill's whole wheat rotini and the tri-color rotini every summer for a July 4th party I attend. I don't tell anyone it's whole wheat pasta and I almost never take any home after the party has ended. Then again, with the low-carb craze, maybe telling people would be a good thing.

Either way, I simply add the ingredients I want into the salad (tomatoes, zucchini, feta/goat cheese, olives, red onion, etc.) and then toss the thing with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette (emulsified with dijon mustard).

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link