• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stomping Through the "Savoy" (2007–2008)

eje

As far as I know, the ingredients of Bénédictine are not known. Some people may think that it has honey flavors, but that doesn't necessarily mean it contains honey as an ingredient.

--

Yeah, as far as I know, too, the ingredients in Benedictine are a closely guarded secret.

You might be thinking of Drambuie, which regularly advertises that it contains honey.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_50084.jpg

Hesitation Cocktail

1 Dash Lemon Juice.

1/4 Canadian Club Whisky. (1/2 oz 40 Creek Barrel Select)

3/4 Swedish Punch. (1 1/2 oz Arrack Punch, homemade)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

As I mentioned when discussing apricot liqueur vs. brandy question with the Havana cocktail, this one is the same proportions. Same amount of liqueur, same amount of spirits, same "1 Dash Lemon Juice".

As with the Havana with apricot liqueur, this is pretty sweet. If you go a bit long on the Lemon and are using the likely less sweet homemade arrack punch, not undrinkably so.

Still, I think both the Boomerang and Havana are more interesting.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Recently, while eje and I were discussing our respective copies of the Savoy book, we happened across a recipe that's in my copy but not his, and he encouraged me to make it. So I hereby present the...

gallery_40563_5997_27207.jpg

Habitant Cocktail

2/3 Rye Whisky (1 oz. 40 Creek Barrel Select)

1/6 Dry Vermouth (1/4 oz. Noilly Prat)

1/6 Maple Syrup

1 dash Angostura bitters

From Wikipedia:

Habitant is the name used to refer to both the French settlers and the inhabitants of French origin who farmed the land along the two shores of the St. Lawrence Gulf and River in what is the present-day Province of Quebec in Canada.

Between the flavours in the drink and the origins of the name, I decided that Canadian whisky would be a better fit than an American straight rye. Also, because I've never used maple syrup in a drink before, I wasn't sure how easily it would dissolve, so I went with shaking rather than stirring. Shoulda fine strained it, though.

The drink was perfectly pleasant, if a little sweet. The whisky choice was a good one, as it allowed all the flavours to come through nicely, where they would have been completely overpowered by straight rye. A flavourful maple syrup is important here, lest it get lost in the mix. (Even with Canadian whisky.) I can see myself making this again, especially if I'm looking for a way to feature maple syrup in a drink. And I'll definitely try it again substituting Sortilege (a whisky-based maple syrup liqueur) for the pure maple syrup.

Oh, and please excuse my poor photography skills! :shock:

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

gallery_27569_3038_28607.jpg

Hoffman House Cocktail

2 Dashes Orange Bitters. (1 dash Fee's Orange Bitters, 1 dash Regan's Orange)

1/3 French Vermouth. (3/4 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth)

2/3 Plymouth Gin. (1 1/2 oz Plymouth Gin)

Shake (stir, please) well and strain into cocktail glass. Squeeze lemon peel on top.

I can't really think of anything interesting to say about the Hoffman House, other than, maybe, if you don't like this you may need to adjust your perception of what constitutes a proper cocktail.

Sorry if that seems harsh, but this is pretty close to the platonic ideal, at least for me, of the Martini type cocktail.

"Slip out of these wet clothes..."

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_11139.jpg

Homestead Cocktail

1 Slice Orange.

2/3 Dry Gin. (1 1/2 oz Broker's Gin)

1/3 Italian Vermouth. (3/4 oz Carpano Antica)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass. (Orange Peel.)

Note: Although this delightful drink is nowadays known as a Cocktail, it was known in the old homesteads of the Southern States long before the name Cocktail was coined.

The whole "1 Slice Orange" is a bit obscure. I just cut a horizontal mid-section out of a valencia orange, quartered it, and threw it in the tin.

I have to admit I kind of preferred it to the usual Bronx.

There's definitely the bitter orange thing from the peel going on.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Recently, while eje and I were discussing our respective copies of the Savoy book, we happened across a recipe that's in my copy but not his, and he encouraged me to make it. So I hereby present the...

Habitant Cocktail

2/3 Rye Whisky (1 oz. 40 Creek Barrel Select)

1/6 Dry Vermouth (1/4 oz. Noilly Prat)

1/6 Maple Syrup

1 dash Angostura bitters

[...]

Thanks for posting, Matt!

Now you have me curious about what version of the Savoy you have and what other cocktails might be in it!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_46473.jpg

Honolulu Cocktail (No. 1)

1 Dash Angostura Bitters.

1 Dash Orange Juice. (1/2 tsp Orange Juice)

1 Dash Pineapple Juice. (1/2 tsp Pineapple Juice)

1 Dash Lemon Juice. (1/2 tsp Lemon Juice)

1 Glass Dry Gin. (2 oz Broker's Gin)

A little Powdered Sugar. (1/4 tsp Caster Sugar)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass. (Orange Peel.)

A bit like the Harrovian, this seems to be a style of cocktail that has not survived to the 21st Century.

Sort of a vaguely exotic tasting glass of cold gin, it's kind of puzzling and enjoyable at the same time.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Honolulu Cocktail (No. 2)

1/3 Maraschino. (3/4 oz Luxardo Maraschino)

1/3 Gin. (3/4 oz Tanqueray)

1/3 Benedictine. (3/4 oz Benedictine)

Shake (stir, please) well and strain into cocktail glass.

I suppose that is what it should be.

I just couldn't quite face that cocktail. Thinking about the Maraschino and Benedictine, Oude Genever occurred to me.

gallery_27569_3038_51781.jpg

Yes, indeed that seems like a good idea!

gallery_27569_3038_18569.jpg

Honolulu Cocktail (No. 2)

1/3 Maraschino. (1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino)

1/3 Gin. (1 oz Van Wees Oude Genever)

1/3 Benedictine. (1/2 oz Benedictine)

Shake (stir, please) well and strain into cocktail glass. (Lemon Peel.)

Tweaked the proportions slightly, but didn't want to just turn it into an Improved Holland Gin Cocktail. Still quite sweet, but really, really tasty. 1 1/2 oz Oude Genever, 1/4 oz Luxardo, 1/4 oz Benedictine, maybe some bitters, and this would rock. Probably have to think up a different name... Kailua Cocktail? Diamond Head Cocktail? Why is this a Hawaii themed Cocktail name anyway? I could see No. 1 being Hawaii-esque, since it had Pineapple juice. But Gin, Maraschino, and Benedictine?

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_50038.jpg

“Hoop La!” Cocktail

1/4 Lemon Juice. (3/4 oz Lemon Juice)

1/4 Kina Lillet. (3/4 oz Cocchi Americano)

1/4 Cointreau. (3/4 oz Cointreau)

1/4 Brandy. (3/4 oz Cerbois VSOP Armangac)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass. (Lemon Peel.)

Well, this is exactly the same as the Frank Sullivan Cocktail, and I'm making it with the same ingredients. Not much too exciting there. Still, an enjoyable cocktail, and I don't mind at all repeating it. Though, my fast dwindling bottle of Cocchi Americano makes me a bit sad...

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_4625.jpg

Hop Toad Cocktail

1/4 Lemon Juice. (1/2 oz Lemon Juice)

3/4 Apricot Brandy. (1 1/2 oz Zwack Barack Palinka)

I have to admit I've always been a bit curious about this cocktail, but never really quite had the courage to make it for myself.

Mr. David Wondrich has pointed out in his books and the esquire drinks database that the proper base spirit for this is absolutely not apricot liqueur, but instead an apricot eau-de-vie, like the fiery Hungarian Zwack Barack Palinka.

To quote Mr. Wondrich from his amusing esquire writeup.

Weighing all the evidence, though, the philosophy of the Hop Toad seems to be to allow the lime juice to fall tart on the tongue, without making the result so sour as to be undrinkable. To create, in other words, a state of dynamic tension by placing the drink in a condition of carefully calibrated imbalance. What that has to do with amphibians, we don't know.

Definitely in the unsweetened school of the Bennett or Bronx Terrace, the Hop Toad is more of a restorative tonic than what folks now consider a cocktail. Make it small, shake it well, and drink it while it is still very cold. It will wake up your taste buds and get the blood flowing to your brain again.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_34004.jpg

Hot Deck Cocktail

1 Dash Jamaica Ginger. (6 drops Eclectic Institute Ginger Herbal Extract)

1/4 Italian Vermouth. (1/2 oz Carpano Antica Vermouth)

3/4 Canadian Club Whisky. (1 1/2 oz 40 Creek Barrel Select Whiskey)

Another use of "Jake", which is quite exciting. You kind of hope some of these cocktails will be on offer at Jake Walk in Brooklyn!

In any case, the Ginger Extract ends up being a bit more subtle in this one. Just a touch of bite in this Manhattan variation.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_30388.jpg

Houla-Houla Cocktail

1 Dash Curacao. (1/2 tsp. Luxardo Triplum)

1/3 Orange Juice. (3/4 oz Orange Juice)

2/3 Dry Gin. (1 1/2 oz Broker's Gin)

A perfectly fine and refreshing beverage, if nothing earth shattering.

I'm lucky to have some particularly tasty early season valencia oranges which are pretty sour around the house, giving this some added zest.

I'm new to Broker's Gin, but so far it seems pretty good to me. Nice strong Juniper flavor and not too harsh base spirit.

Still liking the Triplum as a Curacao substitute. Its strong bitter orange character (it sometimes actually louches in cocktails, it has so much orange oil) and sweetness sort of makes it almost sensible in dash proportions, where many other orange liqueurs just fade into the background.

I sometimes see this cocktail name spelled "Hula-Hula" but am not sure which spelling is correct. According to sources, this cocktail first crops up in one of Harry McElhone's pre-Savoy guides.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_28571.jpg

The Hundred Per Cent Cocktail

1/6 Orange Juice. (1/2 of 3/4 oz Orange Juice)

1/6 Lemon Juice. (1/2 of 3/4 oz Lemon Juice)

2/3 Swedish Punch. (1 1/2 oz Homemade Arrack Punch)

2 Dashes Grenadine. (1/2 teaspoon Fee's American Beauty Grenadine)

I was kind of afraid this would be way too sweet. Fortunately, my oranges are pretty tart, so this sort of works out OK. Pretty intense, though. Reminds me of the sort of balance often struck in modern cocktails, where the sweetness and tartness are both pushed out.

Nice Arrack flavor, though, so you won't be mistaking it for a Cosmo, despite the similar color.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The Hurricane Cocktail

1/3 Whisky.

1/3 Gin.

1/3 Crème de Menthe.

The Juice of 2 Lemons.

Another cocktail ripped from the pages of Judge Jr.'s "Here's How". And like the Crow Cocktail before it, one which makes no sense as transcribed in the Savoy.

Fortunately, the original recipe is a tad more sensible, not to mention the fact that it is across the page from the similarly natural disaster themed "Earthquake" cocktail.

This concoction is all that the name implies and should be mixed in a cyclone cellar: 1/3 pint Johnny Walker; 1/3 pint of Gordon Water; 1/3 pint of Crème de menthe; the juice of two lemons.

Too bad the Savoy transcribers dropped those "pint" measures, eh? So, it's a bottled cocktail, with the juice of two lemons up against a pint of spirits and liqueurs.

gallery_27569_3038_32945.jpg

3/4 oz Famous Grouse.

3/4 oz Broker's Gin.

3/4 oz Brizard Creme de Menthe.

A little less than 3/4 oz Lemon Juice.

Well, it's not, strictly speaking, entirely awful. Kind of refreshing, I suppose.

Still, not anywhere near the top 10, or likely, top 100 Savoy Cocktails.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Hey Erik

Just a thought :smile:

have you tried any of the Canaidian Club 12 year or Wiser's 18 year for your Canadian whiskies. I find them to work very well in the recepies in the Savoy that call for Canadian Whisky.

I came across a couple of bottles of Seagram's V.O. that were from 1959, and I have to say the falvor of these bottles are closer in taste to the above canadians than 40 creek. or the Seagram's VO that is made now. It is amazing how week the flavor of VO is now.

You Can order Wiser's From Binnys in Chicago

where did you get your vanWees from?

thanx again

Kev

[...]

have you tried any of the Canaidian Club 12 year or Wiser's 18 year for your Canadian whiskies.  I find them to work very well in the recepies in the Savoy that call for Canadian Whisky. 

[...]

You Can order Wiser's From Binnys in Chicago

where did you get your vanWees from?

[...]

I toted the Van Wees back from our last trip to England, so Gerry's Wine and Spirits, actually.

Sorry!

I'm getting pretty low on the 40 Creek, so I will have to address a new bottle of Canadian pretty soon. Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, I don't think either are available here in CA. I'll have to see about ordering them from Binny's or Sam's. Could use to pick up a bottle of that tasty new Sirene Absinthe from North Shore Distilling and maybe their Aquavit at the same time.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

"H" was another pretty short letter, with only a few cocktails.

Started with a promising Martinez-like cocktail called the Hakam Cocktail.

Continued with more vermouth discussion and the delicious H&H Cocktail.

There was a bit of Hanky Panky, but nothing too serious.

The H.P.W. Cocktail was yet another Martinez variation, this one made with Malacca thanks to Mike and Jenny.

The Harry's Pick-Me-Up Cocktail was a French 75 type thing with a bit of a blush.

A not surprisingly tasty Harvard Cocktail.

Some discussion of Gum Syrup along with the Hasty Cocktail.

I cheated and used Apricot Eau-de-Vie for the Havana Cocktail and found it strangely appealing.

Met up with Thad Vogler at Beretta, here in San Francisco for a few cocktails.

More discussion of Old-Tom Gin.

Mkayahara contributed the mysterious Habitant Cocktail.

Who can complain about a Hoffman House Cocktail?

Finally braved and sort of enjoyed the Hop Toad.

And that's it.

Of to I-Land.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_13254.jpg

I.B.F. Pick-Me-Up Cocktail

In a wineglass place one lump of Ice, 3 dashes of Fernet Branca (1 tsp. Fernet), 3 dashes of Curacao (1 tsp. Luxardo Triplum), one liqueur glass of Brandy (1 1/2 oz Cerbois VSOP Armangac), fill remainder with Champagne (Louis Bouillot Cremant de Bourgogne Brut). Stir and squeeze lemon peel on cocktail glass.

According to their Blog (!) the...

International Bar Fly (IBF) was founded in 1924 by O. O. McIntyre at Harry's New York Bar in Paris, France. Our members, known as International Bar Flies, have included Ernest Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald, George Gershwin, Sinclair Lewis, Franklin Roosevelt, Gene Kelly, Noel Coward, Burt Lancaster, Thornton Wilder, Marlene Dietrich, Michele Morgan, Elsa Maxwell, and many more. The organization is devoted to the uplift and downfall of serious drinkers. New members are welcome.

In any case, it is a fine, fine cocktail and a proper restorative for the drinker who may have imbibed a bit too seriously the night before. Depending on your feelings about Fernet, the I.B.F. may or may not benefit from a slightly generous hand with the teaspoon of that substance. I kind of thought it needed a little more...

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_6265.jpg

I continue on my bizarrely Wisconsinite struggle to define my ideal Cognac/Brandy. I've discarded some early predilections (Korbel VSOP, E&J, etc.) and tried to move things a bit more cosmopolitan. I can't say my early flirtations with California Brandies have been entirely successful. Germain-Robin's alembic brandy seeming a bit tedious after drinking a whole bottle. The French. There's some sort of French Chortling sound here. Oh, the French. I do like Pierre Ferrand Cognac and Cerbois Armangac. Ah, but the exchange rate. It seems like they go up $5 every month!

So here we are today.

Osocalis have been distilling brandy for about 10 years. They released their first brandy in 2006. I'm just getting around to tasting it now, and it is pretty darn OK. I'm no expert, but I like that there is a bit of the flavor of the wine in the spirit. It's a bit tart and, well, winey. Definitely on the young and feisty side, which is OK by me.

To get around to Savoy Cocktails...

gallery_27569_3038_1218.jpg

Ichbien Cocktail

The Yolk of 1 Egg.

1 Port-wine Glass Milk. (2 oz Half and Half)

1/4 Orange Curacao. (1/4 oz Luxardo Triplum)

3/4 Brandy. (1 1/2 oz Osocalis Brandy)

Shake well and strain into medium size glass, with nutmeg on top.

I'm not normally a big milk cocktail fan, but I liked, and finished, this.

I guess if it were Scotch instead of Brandy, it would be "Auld Man's Milk". Thanks! Old man eje says, "Lovely and perfect."

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Any idea where the name of the cocktail comes from, Erik? Is it just a contraction of pidgin German? Or French?

Not really.

The only references I can google for Ichbien are drink recipes.

"Ich" of course being "I" in Germain.

"Bien" being something like "good" in French?

It could be mis-spelled, I suppose...

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Not really.

The only references I can google for Ichbien are drink recipes.

"Ich" of course being "I" in Germain.

"Bien" being something like "good" in French?

It could be mis-spelled, I suppose...

Oh, Patrick Gavin Duffy, who is more particular about most things like garnish and spelling, does spell the name of this cocktail, "Ichbein" not as the Savoy, "Ichbien".

I kind of wonder if it has something to do with the Knickerbein?

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_35946.jpg

Ideal Cocktail

3 Dashes Maraschino. (1 tsp. Luxardo Maraschino)

1/3 Italian Vermouth. (3/4 oz Carpano Antica)

2/3 Dry Gin. (1 1/2 oz Aviation Gin)

1 Tablespoonful Grapefruit Juice. (1 TBSP Fresh Ruby Grapefruit Juice)

Shake (stir, please) well and strain into cocktail glass. (Grapefruit Peel.) Serve with a small nut.

This is actually rather unexpectedly good! I dunno if I would quite rate it as "Ideal", but certainly above average.

The Aviation Gin, is, of course, a non-traditional choice. Just seemed like it would be an OK in this drink, and, indeed it was.

I did add a quarter of a pickled walnut after I took the picture. Not bad, but it was kind of distracting, blowing away the rest of the drink flavors. I'd recommend sticking with the Grapefruit Peel alone unless you're a real fan of pickled nuts.

edit - I know I'm kind of going against the grain by stirring this drink which has fruit juice in it. But, it has such a small amount of juice and it has vermouth... Just seemed like a stirry kind of drink. Can't wait to see what kind of controversy I generate by stirring the Income Tax in a couple days...

This was a really neat color which the picture doesn't quite capture. Kind of a glowy pink-ish tan.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

gallery_27569_3038_50641.jpg

Imperial Cocktail

1 Dash Maraschino. (1/3 tsp. Luxardo Maraschino)

1 Dash Angostura Bitters.

1/2 French Vermouth. (1 1/2 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth)

1/2 Dry Gin. (1 1/2 oz Junipero Vermouth)

Stir well and serve with olive.

Another cool and tasty Dry Martini variation. Yum!

Kind of a Dry Vermouth version of the Martinez. Who can complain about that?

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA