• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vinaigre de pina

theabroma

There is a discussion going on in Cooking about making vinegar, and of course there are lots of questions about that wonderful Mexican vinaigre de pina, and how it is made: Vinegar in Cooking.

I took my best shot, which isn't saying much. Anyone else? Caroline? Esperanza? Shelora ... who is, I believe, in the Land of Pineapple Vinegar as we speak?

I've had luck making it here, but rotten luck finding it for sale in markets. What other fruit vinegars are made that anyone knows of? There is so much stuff en escabeche, that there has to be several sources for mild, fruity vinegars.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Hi Theabroma,

I've not run across living fruit-vinegar-making traditions in Guanajuato. Nowadays most people use vinegar from the supermarket.

But I am struck by the huge range of delicious Mexican pickles, salpicados, escabeches, etc. They are very little known in the States,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Coloque las cáscaras de la fruta en un pote con tapa. Agregue agua hervida hasta cubrirlas. Añada un poco de azúcar. Deje fermentar por los menos 2 semanas. Filtre y viértalo en un envase previamente esterilizado.

*Put the pineapple peels in a jar with a top. Add enough boiled water to cover the peels. Add a little sugar. Allow to ferment at least two weeks. Strain and pour the vinegar into a previously sterilized jar.*

I've never prepared vinagre de piña, but I'd sure like to hear about it if any of the rest of you use this admittedly sketchy recipe.

Edited by esperanza (log)

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

Diana Kennedy has a recipe in her first book, "The Cuisines of Mexico''.

It calls for peel of 1/2 a pineapple, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and a quart of water. Everything is placed in a glass jar and kept in a warm place. As it begins to ferment some of the peel is removed. She says it should take 2 to 3 weeks,

I'm game to give it a go ... anyone else? But, should the run be successful, what does one do with the mother? How to store it (I understand you can) for future use, and how and where, etc. Sounds like something the cat would find all too interesting.

Theabroma

BTW: apologies for having spelled 'vinagre' as 'vinaigre'. :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

We - myself and another cook - are going to make two big batches of chile pasilla de Oaxaca, carrots, ajo and papas en vinagre this week.

After looking in the Tlacalula market yesterday - with no luck - we have decided to purchase the organic version of vinagre de piña from one Valeria who has an organic farm (Arbol de la Vida). She supplies us with the most wonderful organic lettuces.

I have only made tepache with pineapple and lately I have been chasing down the roasted banana seller who roasts platano over pineapple peels imparting a sweet pineapple flavour. His oven on wheels is fueled by wood.

Sorry, off topic.

s

Not off topic, that's just your source of pina peels! Those platanos sound killer. Roasted over wood or wood charcoal? That's a new one, using pineapple peels like that.

Weren't you able to find vinegar in Tlacolula? And since you said on 12/5 'yesterday' I know that you made the Sunday market there. That place is one major trip.

Want to hear more on your pineapple vinegar search ... or Mx fruit vinegar, in general. There are so many things en escabeche or with vinegar added, that it's got to be a very important subject. My sad guess is that, especially with the spread of Sorianas and Gigantes, and the incursions made by WalMart, that distilled white and cider vinegars are now being used. I was able to find some marvelous sugar cane vinegar in Tabasco, however.

Theabroma

Not off topic, that's just your source of pina peels!  Those platanos sound killer.  Roasted over wood or wood charcoal?  That's a new one, using pineapple peels like that.

Weren't you able to find vinegar in Tlacolula?  And since you said on 12/5 'yesterday' I know that you made the Sunday market there.  That place is one major trip.

Want to hear more on your pineapple vinegar search ... or Mx fruit vinegar, in general.  There are so many things en escabeche or with vinegar added, that it's got to be a very important subject.  My sad guess is that, especially with the spread of Sorianas and Gigantes, and the incursions made by WalMart, that distilled white and cider vinegars are now being used.  I was able to find some marvelous sugar cane vinegar in Tabasco, however.

Theabroma

Hello there,

Just returned from a temascal, transformed.

We did not find the vinagre de piña in Tlacalula, but apparently in the Juarez market at the end of Murgia, someone sells it all the time - I'm trying to make my way there this week. As in most plans in Mexico, everything changes daily if not hourly. Our plans to make chiles en vinagre have been put on hold.

You tiene razon sobre el vinagre de caña y blanco. Es muy popular.

The platanos are roasted over wood. These wonderful wood fired ovens on wheels are probably on their way out. The steam produced by the oven also fires the whistle that announces the presense in your vicinity of the roasted platanos. Sometimes the vendors also have roasted camote.

The bananas become very caramelized and are served either with sugar or sweetened condensed milk drizzled on top.

It's bloody hot here today and I must retire now with mandarin margarita in hand. Mandarin oranges are at their peak right now and anyone worth their weight should be serving them as juice, agua fresca, margaritas or sorbet.

Adios, amigos.

s

A temexcal was the most amazing experience of my life. Followed by a limipa c/huevo, and a soup made of fresh field corn, onions, garlic, flores de calabaza, and the leaves and guias of chilacayote. Javier Mina, Tlaxcala. I remember that soup as being more exquisite than anything I have ever eaten.

Theabroma

I first heard the long blast of the camotero's steam whistle in Mexico City, in 1982. To my mind, the sound became an auditory emblem of city life in Mexico. Tweeeeeeeee, tweeeeeeeee.

One evening shortly after I moved to my house in Guadalajara (a year ago), I was startled to hear the unmistakable steam whistle of the camotero--right here on my street! The sound caused a sensation in my mind similar to an olfactory memory being aroused from slumber by a whiff of vanilla, a passing fragrance of Chanel No. 5, the scent of a steam radiator on a cold winter day. The camotero! The camotero! The caramelized edges of a roasted sweet potato!

That night, I rushed from my warm living room to find him and buy a delicious wood fire roasted camote for my supper.

Oh, I hope he trundles his camote cart by my house this chilly evening. Tweeeeee. Tweeeeeeeeeee.

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

I scored the vinagre de piña this morning. It's the Merced market not the Juarez market on Murgia and a lot of vendors sell their own version of the vinegar.

Very mild and the cost is 10 pesos per litre.

I have added white onions, whole garlic heads, carrots and chile pasilla de Oaxaca, lots of piloncillo (panela), allspice, cloves, oregano and some cinnamon.

I'm going to let the whole mass sit for a while and let the flavours absorb.

s

• Like 1