• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 1)

Grub

Kristin, my guess would be saury.

you guys are good!

saury pike it was and though it looks a little on the burned side :hmmm: It was one of the best I have eaten.

Chalk up my guess to an episode of the original Iron Chef featuring a Saury Battle as I've never tasted it before. What's the flavour and texture comparable to?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Kristin, my guess would be saury.

you guys are good!

saury pike it was and though it looks a little on the burned side :hmmm: It was one of the best I have eaten.

Chalk up my guess to an episode of the original Iron Chef featuring a Saury Battle as I've never tasted it before. What's the flavour and texture comparable to?

It is one of my favorite fish. When in season (fall) it is wonderfully fatty but without tasting fatty. :hmmm: It is has a bolder flavor than most white fleshed fishes but not at all fishy tasting like mackeral. It takes best to quick cooking over a strong flame with a nice sprinkling of salt. It needs no condiments.

They are quite big one fish is easily a one person serving and they are also very cheap. We picked these up at 3 for 199 yen (about $1.75).

I highly recommend them if you can find them. You should also be able to find them as sashimi or sushi now. In Japanese they are called sanma.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

It is one of my favorite fish. When in season (fall) it is wonderfully fatty but without tasting fatty. :hmmm: It is has a bolder flavor than most white fleshed fishes but not at all fishy tasting like mackeral. It takes best to quick cooking over a strong flame with a nice sprinkling of salt. It needs no condiments.

They are quite big one fish is easily a one person serving and they are also very cheap. We picked these up at 3 for 199 yen (about $1.75).

I highly recommend them if you can find them. You should also be able to find them as sashimi or sushi now. In Japanese they are called sanma.

Mmmmm... sanma sashimi. There are two fairly good Japanese seafood purveyors not too far from me, so I'll be sure to look for it. Would it be at all comparable to the texture/consistency of chi-toro or o-toro, or is it less fatty tasting than that?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

took this this weekend

gallery_6134_1960_23511.jpg

any ideas? :biggrin:

I thought it was supposed to be a Zen-like statement about something - the plate looked like a character from the Japanese alphabet.

Food? It was supposed to be food? :raz:

This needs to be paired with Grub's blackened corn cob, I think. :smile:

And I have to say, that although I uh. . ."enjoyed" those cheese-deadly entries from that book, I still think the posts of regrettable foods made by eG'ers are much better. Much better.

Those photos were deadly. Heavy. Frightening.

"Our" photos have vitality! Grinning fish about to jump out and "give one a kiss"! Corn on the cob that traipsed around the world and looks like it! Odd little fairy tale guys laid out on their backs on plates awaiting a fork! And let us not forget milt.

I am so proud of you all. :smile:

Mmmmm... sanma sashimi. There are two fairly good Japanese seafood purveyors not too far from me, so I'll be sure to look for it. Would it be at all comparable to the texture/consistency of chi-toro or o-toro, or is it less fatty tasting than that?

It is nothing like ootoro or even chutoro as the flesh isn't as soft and it thinner. It looks like this

gallery_6134_184_1097036200.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Okay. Here. I did this on purpose, just for you guys.

Pictures%2F102%5F0284.JPG

C'mon, ask me what that IS.  :biggrin:

Okay, I'll bite. What is it: the dreaded, overcooked red X? :raz:

Joie Alvaro Kent

It is nothing like ootoro or even chutoro as the flesh isn't as soft and it thinner.

Thanks for that, Kristin. I'll be on the lookout!

Joie Alvaro Kent

Okay. Here. I did this on purpose, just for you guys.

Pictures%2F102%5F0284.JPG

C'mon, ask me what that IS.  :biggrin:

Okay, I'll bite. What is it: the dreaded, overcooked red X? :raz:

Heh. I got all excited because I saw an answer and now I see that my photo is only coming up "sometimes" and the rest of the time it just says "user posted image".

Just goes to show how regrettable my photo-posting skills are, too. :cool:

Let me try to figure it out - it may be a little while because I actually have to finish cooking dinner. :huh: Pah. :wink:

Oh my... oh my dear.... You did this on purpose? What did the poor poor food ever do to you? :huh:

What is it? I'm having trouble identifying anything. Is that celery? Okra?

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

That looks like stock simmering at a higher heat before it's been skimmed. Not that this has ever happened to me... :rolleyes:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Oh my... oh my dear.... You did this on purpose? What did the poor poor food ever do to you? :huh:

Oh, my. Carrot Top, you are most certainly redeemed from your earlier photo posting misstep. That is, uh, extraordinary.

Joie Alvaro Kent

Carrot Top was the next step to flush? What is that mess.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well, okay. I'll spill the beans.

Actually, I didn't "spill" the beans. That. . .was split pea soup.

I had to make it for a pot luck thing at the kids school - and as I was dashing back and forth between children and cat and ringing telephone, it started boiling.

Ah, such lovely scum rises from split pea soup! :cool:

Naturally, my thoughts went to this thread. I wanted to join in the halls of fame.

So even though I had started skimming, I hastily threw it all back on.

And went to grab my trusty camera.

And I must say that my photography skills added an undeniably frightful look that did not even exist in real life! Woooo hoooo! :rolleyes:

If I had to title the thing, I would call it "Old Milt on a Massive Scale". Heh.

I feel so. . . .VALIDATED! Sigh. Must do this again some time. :smile:

P.S. Actually, as so many of these things are, it was quite tasty. :wink:

Naturally, my thoughts went to this thread. I wanted to join in the halls of fame.

So even though I had started skimming, I hastily threw it all back on.

And went to grab my trusty camera.

And I must say that my photography skills added an undeniably frightful look that did not even exist in real life! Woooo hoooo!  :rolleyes:

If I had to title the thing, I would call it "Old Milt on a Massive Scale". Heh.

Hey! No fair! Your not allowed to deliberately make food look worse in order to qualify for inclusion into this thread!

Although in the interest of full disclosure, since this thread was started, I have, on occasions been disappointed that the awful colour of some of my dishes in real life wern't reproduced accurately on camera which made my dishes too pretty to present in this thread :(.

PS: I am a guy.

Love this thread.
how can beets combined with anything be made to look nice?

Well, one can certainly try :smile: -

BeetsaladA-vi.jpg

And here's an attempt to demonstrate some lovingly and diligently prepared cioppino (it tasted good, honest! :biggrin:) -

Cioppino-vi.jpg

Both of those look mouthwatering to me. A little green on top of your Cioppino and I would order it in a restaurant.

PS: I am a guy.

Love this thread.
how can beets combined with anything be made to look nice?

Well, one can certainly try :smile: -

BeetsaladA-vi.jpg

And here's an attempt to demonstrate some lovingly and diligently prepared cioppino (it tasted good, honest! :biggrin:) -

Cioppino-vi.jpg

If you think these dishes are regrettable I will send you my address you can mail them to me. They look good to me!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren