• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pucuk Paku

Are people cultivating pucuk paku now? In Merchang, it grew wild in the furthest inland kampung, Durian Pahit, and no-one cultivated it. Are wild plants for sale in your area?

Michael aka "Pan"

I found some "Fiddle Heads" growing in suburban KL in a park with a running stream that actually seemed to have many imported trees and plants that had been growing there for many years. It looked as if it was transplanted from England to the Tropics. We picked a bag full and had it cooked at a friends "Chinese Restaurant" sautéed with Garlic that no one local had ever tried previously [1972].

The Park was near a Freshwater Lake where we caught "Snake Head" Fish on Top Water Bass Lures that were Steamed for Dinner.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Are people cultivating pucuk paku now? In Merchang, it grew wild in the furthest inland kampung, Durian Pahit, and no-one cultivated it. Are wild plants for sale in your area?

Hi Michael

They sell pucuk paku at most wet markets, not sure whether they're wild or cultivated though.

kew - I love kerabu pucuk paku! And pucuk paku masak lemak too!

Looks delicious -- recipe please? Those of us in New England are about to get our own crop of fiddleheads, and I'm always eager to find new ways to cook them for the few weeks they're available. They were a family delicacy on my mother's (Maine) side, blanched then sauteed in butter.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Ooooooo...I love kerabu pucuk paku too! :wub:

Wet markets are, as the name suggests, pretty wet places. It's a building where you can find stalls selling fresh chicken, fish and other meat; they are processed on the spot and so there's a lot of cleaning activity. 'Course there are drains for outlets. Some vegetable stalls can also be found there. If you visited the Msian blog, I posted pix of a typical open air market. I didn't include the wet market which was adjacent to the dry one because one has to tread very carefully in one. I didn't think I could juggle a camera in one hand and a child in the other in such a slippery place. If you've got morning sickness...the smells will kill you :wink: .

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I found some "Fiddle Heads" growing in suburban KL in a park with a running stream that actually seemed to have many imported trees and plants that had been growing there for many years. It looked as if it was transplanted from England to the Tropics.

Irwin, the fiddle head ferns that grow in the wild in Sarawak are slightly different from fiddle heads that I've bought here. The stalks are more slender, and after cooking, they are more tender, and not as "nutty" in flavor. We call them midin, and according to the Sarawak forestry department, the botanical name is Stenochlaena palustris.

As far as I can tell by googling, Stenochlaena palustris is native to India, SE Asia, Australia and Samoa.

I've been told some varieties of wild ferns are poisonous. Did you get lucky or were you with experienced "pickers"? :smile:

I found some "Fiddle Heads" growing in suburban KL in a park with a running stream that actually seemed to have many imported trees and plants that had been growing there for many years. It looked as if it was transplanted from England to the Tropics.

Irwin, the fiddle head ferns that grow in the wild in Sarawak are slightly different from fiddle heads that I've bought here. The stalks are more slender, and after cooking, they are more tender, and not as "nutty" in flavor. We call them midin, and according to the Sarawak forestry department, the botanical name is Stenochlaena palustris.

As far as I can tell by googling, Stenochlaena palustris is native to India, SE Asia, Australia and Samoa.

I've been told some varieties of wild ferns are poisonous. Did you get lucky or were you with experienced "pickers"? :smile:

Laksa:

I didn't get lucky as I was familiar with the Fiddle Head Ferns avalable in Hong Kong and Bagio in the Phillipines. We featured them at several Hong Kong Restaurants when available. I had eaten but not examined or prepared the northwest variations served at the "Four Seasons Restaurant" in NYC. I am not aware of any variety of Fiddle Head Ferns being poisonous, but I appreciate the warning about Ferns in general and will Google for information.

Thanks again,

Irwin

For whatever it's worth, I can't recall anyone in the Malay village I used to live in saying that any ferns growing there were poisonous. Actually, this is the first I've heard that any ferns are poisonous, but I'm no expert.

Michael aka "Pan"

They are still picked from the wild. I am not aware of anyone cultivating them. I'll ask though the next time I go to the market.

.... And pucuk paku masak lemak too!

Oh yes!! Next time I make this, I'll share (a pic) especially with you and Tepee. :raz:

I am not aware of any variety of Fiddle Head Ferns being poisonous, but I appreciate the warning about Ferns in general and will Google for information.

Just like mushrooms and berries, some are indeed poisonous.

What's a wet market?  :unsure:

I will take pictures when I go next. The one I go to is a HUGE one. :biggrin:

Looks delicious -- recipe please? Those of us in New England are about to get our own crop of fiddleheads, and I'm always eager to find new ways to cook them for the few weeks they're available. They were a family delicacy on my mother's (Maine) side, blanched then sauteed in butter.

Actually, a PIF from Maine asked about this since they're starting to get some ... but she said it won't be until a month that they are in season.

I'm not sure if she is brave enough to try this recipe but ..... :biggrin:

I'll post the recipe in a bit.

Laksa:

I didn't get lucky as I was familiar with the Fiddle Head Ferns avalable in Hong Kong and Bagio in the Phillipines. We featured them at several Hong Kong Restaurants when available. I had eaten but not examined or prepared the northwest variations served at the "Four Seasons Restaurant" in NYC. I am not aware of any variety of Fiddle Head Ferns being poisonous, but I appreciate the warning about Ferns in general and will Google for information.

Thanks again,

Irwin

I found out that some of the varieties of the Fiddlehead or very young fern buds may sometimes be mildly toxic if eaten raw or not cooked enough in the domestic varieties. I could not find any information about the Asian Fiddleheads but didn't Google except superficially IE Latin Names, Etc would provide more info. I did know about all mature ferns being bitter and not edible for that reason.

Irwin

an article on the poison in bracken

This botanical pest is considered something of a delicacy in some parts of the world. The Japanese, for instance, often dine on the young bracken sprouts known as fiddleheads (pictured) and it is considered a treat in some areas of Canada and the US too. The trouble is, bracken, while edible, is also highly toxic - especially the fiddleheads - and has been causing bellyache for farmers for centuries where unwary ruminants might graze on the succulent curling shoots.

It was noted - importantly, from the human consumption perspective - that the young fiddleheads, eaten by the Japanese, are actually the most carcinogenic.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

This botanical pest is considered something of a delicacy in some parts of the world.

Older Koreans are very good at identifying edible wild greens. My 97 year old grandmother and her friends climb under a fence in the San Fernando Valley to pick wild greens from a field in the middle of the city. :laugh:

Kerabu Pucuk Paku - A Malay recipe

(Fiddlehead Fern salad)

A bunch of pucuk paku about half a pound, cleaned and cut to 3" length and briefly blanched.

5 shallots, or 1 big onion - sliced

1 torch ginger flower - sliced thinly

2 or 3 kaffir lime leaves - sliced thinly

Juice from 4 calamansi

2T grated coconut - from half a coconut, squeezed lightly so it is not too heavy with the milk

2T grated coconut - slight toasted (or fried over low heat without oil until browned)

1T palm sugar, grated

2t salt or to taste

Sliced fresh chilli for garnish

Pound together :

6 fresh red chillies

1 oz dried shrimp, cleaned, soaked and drained

1-2T belacan - dried shrimp paste

Mix all ingredients and serve immediately.

I would think that if you do not want to use dried shrimp and/or belacan, using fresh cooked shrimp (small) would be good as well, even though the taste would be different. But don't pound the shrimp, just add whole.

Or try with anchovies instead. Some people do use this as substitute.

Malay cooking is usually by estimates, so feel free to adjust any ingredients to suit your tastebud ie hotter, sweeter, tangier.

Edited by kew (log)

Sounds quite similar to a salad we had in Bali with fiddleheads we picked near a lake. Those fiddleheads were larger, similar to the Sarawak fiddleheads described above.

If you can get ahold of some wild (or just oyster) mushrooms, the two are a natural pair for a *wonderful* warm salad (western-style, with olive oil).

kew,

thank you for the recipe!

what is ginger flower?

There is no calamansi here, is there a different citrus I could substitute?

could I rehydrate dried coconut? no fresh coconuts either....

I just picked up some fresh keffir lime leaves and a bunch of red chiles so I am almost there! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

kew,

thank you for the recipe!

what is ginger flower?

Also called wild ginger flower.

picture here

It adds a certain 'zing' to a dish. I can't think of any good subsitutes. Maybe wasabi? Julienned Japanese radish? :unsure:

There is no calamansi here, is there a different citrus I could substitute?

What about limes? Otherwise, I guess you'll have to make do with lemon.

I think the Vietnamese shops would have these things.

could I rehydrate dried coconut? no fresh coconuts either....

It's okay I guess. But the fried/browned coconut adds a nice flavor and aroma.

I just picked up some fresh keffir lime leaves and a bunch of red chiles so I am almost there! :biggrin:

:biggrin:

Go ahead and experiment - torakris Fiddlehead Salad.

Have fun!

Edited by kew (log)