• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adesso Bistro and Lounge

New Kits place I haven't seen mentioned on the boards yet called Adesso. Opened 20 days ago sans fanfare al a eGullet. :laugh: I feel foiled!

Seriously, the chef is Travis Williams formerly of Blue Water and Cin Cin. Anyone been? What's it like?

The menus look intruiging...vitello tonnato....ooooohhhhh!!!!! :wub:

Address: 2201 West 1st Avenue.

Here's the website, gimme the skinny.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Well ....

Their valet parking signs out on the street are kinda annoying when you're driving by.....

Oh I bet that's not what you meant :smile: I know nothing about this place except that I sure hope it lasts longer than the previous place. Another Italian restaurant opened very briefly after "Yew First" closed and I believe the chef was someone from Ammacord (sp?) in Yaletown. Wonder what happened there.

Anyhoo.... in the interest of getting the skinny.... one day in the not-too-distant future I will check it out. I live relatively close by.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I worked with Travis at Cin Cin. We had vitello tonnato on the menu then. I was wondering what happended to him. I'll definately drop by to see him. Whoever opended the place has a bit of money behind them. They've been advertising in the Sun & Province.

Derek

It's a very sketchy location indeed..... corner of 1st and Yew as a matter of fact.... just up from Malone's and in close proximity to The King's Head Pub. :wink:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Aha, in the old Saltimbocca location just up the hill and around the corner from Tangerine. No matter how many restaurants have been in there since, I still think of Saltimbocca when referring to that particular spot.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

New Kits place I haven't seen mentioned on the boards yet called Adesso. Opened 20 days ago sans fanfare al a eGullet.  :laugh:  I feel foiled!

Seriously, the chef is Travis Williams formerly of Blue Water and Cin Cin. Anyone been? What's it like?

The menus look intruiging...vitello tonnato....ooooohhhhh!!!!!  :wub:

Address: 2201 West 1st Avenue.

Here's the website, gimme the skinny.

adesso@shaw.caHello and thank you from all of us at Adesso Bistro for your interest in our new venture. We took possession of the former Saltimboca/pastabar/yewfirst on Jan 1 of this year and opened on Jan 15th. If Opening Soon had filmed it they would have had to do it in fast forward with a warning caption. Who are "we"? Luciano Loi and Carol Gadsby, owners and husband and wife; Gianfranco Loi, brother of Luciano and manager of Adesso; Travis Williams, chef and new found friend; Joseph Thomas, sous chef and former wrestler (Chef Pain). Luciano & Carol owned Papis Ristorante Italiano in Steveston for nine years and sold it Jan 2004 and took a year off. Gianfranco left Blue Water to come to Adesso and before that worked at Quattro on 4th for years. Travis, as many of you seen to know, is from Blue Water and Cin Cin but I'll let him tell his own story. Joseph is from Hamilton and what a character! So that's us. Our cuisine is modern Italian, and to us that means we would not be out of place as a bistro in any Italian city. We are open for dinnner, lunch (except Mon lunch) and weekend brunch. We have a cozy lounge with lots of shareable appies and truly great pizza. We will be starting up a wine club soon like the one we had at Papis (300 members when we left). We hope you'll drop by and meet us in person. And thanks to Andrew for starting a little buzz. :biggrin:

Hello Everyone

Thanks for the great response to this forum for Adesso Bistro. My name, for those of you that do not know me is Travis Williams. I am the Executive Chef here at Adesso. Along with my Sous Chef Joseph Thomas, and the rest of our crew, our mandate in the kitchen is simple. We are all like minded culinary professionals striving for perfection in our cuisine, using only the finest quality ingredients available. The goals we have set for ourselves are high, but we all agree it is important to have a good time along the way. I like to keep the kitchen environment a positive place to be, where new learning possibilities are always at hand. Along with the support of Luciano, Carol and Gianfranco, we offer a unique product to our area. If anyone has any other questions, I would be more than happy to answer them. I hope to see some of you foodies here soon.

Ciao

Adesso Chef

Adesso Chef

Travis Williams

Executive Chef

www.adessobistro.com

Nice to see you all on the mighty gullet !

I hope to see you all posting in other areas of the forum as your insight and comments are most welcome - that is after you get over the rush of egulleters at the door.

I will drop by as I would love to see what you have done with the room. You will be able to tell which one I am, the one wearing the "I love egullet" t-shirt

My friend is one of the owners of Da Pasta Bar and I spent lots of time in that location. If I recall, the layout is interesting, with a rather large back prep / dishwasher / storage area. It was a little surprising to see in a restauant that size. It made me jealous - I have such a tiny kitchen. Although , not as small as the Irish Heather's :biggrin::biggrin: but that is another story.

Good luck

Neil

P.S. you must have multiple computers at work as I can see that both you and Luciano Loi are on- line. Major geek alert !

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

If I have time I'll swing by afterwards and bring you some bengay and tums. Oh, and I'll pick up your walker from the shop (got bent on the line during DOV -- damn lowboys!).

PM me any perscriptions you need filled, old man. :biggrin:

Seriously, I need a night off. What better way to spend it than in restaurants?

:cool:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

A warm welcome to all the new Adesso people. I have worked with Travis in the past but I can't possibly give away my real name. Too much fun having him guess :laugh:. How are things Travis?? Good luck to you. I will definately be going by in the near future.

Derek

A warm welcome to all the new Adesso people.  I have worked with Travis in the past but I can't possibly give away my real name.  Too much fun having him guess  :laugh:.  How are things Travis??  Good luck to you.  I will definately be going by in the near future.

Things are great Derek, I hope to see you up here soon!

Ciao

Adesso Chef

Adesso Chef

Travis Williams

Executive Chef

www.adessobistro.com

A warm welcome to all the new Adesso people.  I have worked with Travis in the past but I can't possibly give away my real name.  Too much fun having him guess  :laugh:.  How are things Travis??  Good luck to you.  I will definately be going by in the near future.

Things are great Derek, I hope to see you up here soon!

Ciao

Adesso Chef

Damn! :laugh::laugh:

Derek

Welcome to the board, Luciano.  :smile: Could you give us a bit more info about the wine club? I don't know anything about the wine club at Papi's. Thanks!

Hi Ling

By necessity our wine club was different from those operating in the East, whose primary function is to purchase wine in bulk for their members. Although you can often order by the case from the wine rep present, our functions operate as regional Italian wine dinners with food and wine pairing as well as a discussion on the wines and the wine region. Many times we had the actual wine maker from Italy present (with translator). Joining is very simple in that we need a email address that we can post our wine events to. Thanks for asking.

Ciao

Luciano

ps to anyone who read the great city food article on us, Gianfranco and I are from Teulada, Sardinia; not Sicily.

*Hums the theme song from Jeopardy*

So? Any of last night's diners/cocktailers have reviews on Adesso? Inquiring minds want to know. :huh:

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg