• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saigon R (Formerly Saigon Republic)

Rachel Perlow

A while back we mentioned that Saigon Gourmet, a Vietnamese take-out place in Fort Lee, was going to be opening a new sit-down restaurant in Englewood. They opened today and we couldn't wait to check it out. It is a small dining room (seating for 22), minimally decorated, primarily in red and black. The menu is similar to the one in Fort Lee, with some additions. We sampled a variety of dishes, but considering chef/owner Katey has moved to the new location we were sure the food would be up to her previous standards (now I hope the take-out place doesn't go down hill in the hands of her relatives).

We started with a few appetizers, including Miniature Spring Rolls, Shrimp Summer Rolls and BBQ Ribs with Lemongrass. The fried spring rolls are accompanied by mint, cilantro, cucumber slices, nuoc cham and lettuce to wrap it all up in; an order of 4 rolls for $4.95. The fresh summer rolls can be had vegetarian or with chicken, shrimp or duck; 2 for $5.95. We had the shrimp tonight, but I used to get the duck in Fort Lee and it is really good too. They come with a peanuty nuoc leo for dipping. The ribs are short, but very meaty with a deliciously sweet barbecue sauce. I didn't notice the aroma of lemongrass, but they were excellent, if a little fatty ($7.95).

We also tried a variety of other dishes, including the Rice Noodle Salad with Pork ($8.95), Pho with Sliced Rare Beef ($8.50), Spicy Beef ($12.95) (this also comes in a vegetarian version), and Caramel Chicken ($11.95? I'm guessing, but that is the price for the other sauteed chicken dish on the menu). The Caramel Chicken was a special request by Jason - leave it to him to ask for something off the menu on a restaurant's first night open! However, Katey does have a similar dish on the menu, Grilled Pork Chop in a Caramel Lemongrass Sauce, and she created a version better than the one we recall lovingly from our trip to D.C. Everything was delicious, and the Caramel Chicken was spicier than the Spicy Beef (beef sauteed with onions, ground peanuts, hot pepper in a rich brown cocnut sauce) so if you like things spicy, Joe the waiter says to ask for 5-star (as in 5 alarm chili).

The lunch menu includes a variety of soups, salads, noodle & rice dishes and sandwiches (both a french and vietnamese version), with prices ranging from $6.95-$9.95.

Overall I would say the food is excellent and the service knowledgable and friendly. It is a slightly more expensive than the other Vietnamese restaurants we have frequented in Jersey City and Nutley, but is still a welcome addition to the area. We plan on going back frequently!  :biggrin:

Saigon Republic Vietnamese Cuisine

58 West Palisades Avenue (across from McDonalds)

Englewood, NJ 07632

201-871-4777 phone

201-871-7477 fax

Lunch Hours: Wednesday - Friday: 11:30 AM to 3 PM; Saturday: 12 Noon to 3 PM

Dinner Hours: Tuesday - Thursday: 5 to 9 PM; Friday - Saturday: 5 to 10 PM; Sunday: 4:30 to 8:30 PM

BYOB, closed Mondays

Edit: Adjusted restaurant's hours.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

I said we'd be going back frequently... we returned tonight with jhlurie. We repeated a few of the dishes, but the first-timers were the French Vietnamese Beef Salad, the BBQ Beef Skewers and the Beef Ball Pho. The beef salad was more salad-y than the rice noodle salad. A variety of greens dressed with a simple asian soy vinaigrette with cubes of sauteed marinated beef. Simple and delicious. The beef skewers are like satay, but you wrap them in lettuce leaves with herbs and cucumber like the spring rolls.

BTW - the front of the restaurant really blends into their neighbors as they all share the same awning. They don't have any neon lights and look dimly lit from the street, so remember the address so you don't miss it. Oh, and they had a nice mellow jazz radio station tuned in for some pleasant and unobtrusive background music.

Edit: They now have a neon sign that says "Saigon"

"salad-y"... I've got to remember that one!  Every word can be made bigger and more active with an "y" on the end!

I didn't see this when Rachel wrote it, but let me say that the spring rolls were the highlight for me.  I've had the spring rolls at the older Saigon Gourmet location in Fort Lee, and these seem much better.

Salad-y!

I like Pie!  :raz:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 5 weeks later...

After reading the Perlows' posts about this restaurant my wife and I have gone there twice already and are bringing some family there this coming Sunday evening. (It is located at 58 W. Palisades Ave. in Englewood). Tonight we decided not to have any appetizers and opted for 3 main courses. We started with crispy tofu in a spicey brown sauce accompanied by bok choy and grilled red peppers, onions, string beans and mushrooms that was as good as it gets. Tofu is something I normally don't order but this dish was outstanding. Next we had grilled egg plant that was stuffed with crab meat and came with a very spicey chilli dipping sauce and rice noodles. We loved it. Our third main was salmon in a black pepper sauce. We each had a plate of white rice and we spooned the sauce over the rice and left not a morsel. Wonderful dinner served by the friendliest waiter this side of the GWB by name of Joe. The owners,two sisters and their mother do the cooking. One of the sisters, Mimi, came to speak to us when she heard that my wife and I will be going to Vietnam in January and was an immediate fountain of information of things to do and see.  Worth going to the restaurant just to meet this most charming,sweet and smiling lady.We are also going to go to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat. Very excited. From there a few days both in Bangkok and Hongkong and back home with lots of tee shirts for the the grandchildren. Till now I have not recommended any restaurants in Englewood that to me are worth a longer drive but both these small store front restaurants, Saigon Republic and Bennies (Lebanese specialties) are in MHO worth a detour.

Hank

Yes, Joe asked me if your post on the internet was the reason I had found them and ofcourse I told him that that was correct. I hope that you have a few more of these up your sleaves.

Hank

You are probably right Rosie.They can seat up to 22 and are also byo. Because of the spicey dishes people tend to bring cold beer but it would be interesting to experiment with different wines to see if any would fit in. I would try a gewurtz or a german kabinett or spaetlese. One of your spicey Turleys probably wouldn't be bad either.

Hank

• 1 month later...

Just a friendly reminder that we believe Saigon Republic is about to get incredibly busy, like from this Sunday onward. :wink: :wink: So if you haven't tried it yet, or it's become your favorite place, go now before the maddening hordes "discover" this cute Vietnamese bistro.

Saigon Republic is now officially incredibly busy. The NY Times Corcoran review, which came out last night for the Sunday paper, was a Very Good and now you need reservations. We ate there last night and were lucky to get a table.

If you havent been to Saigon Republic, call in advance and GO NOW. Lunch may be a little less busy.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Nice review, sounds like a fun place.

I like David Corcoran's reviews. I also noticed some tell-tale items which suggest Mr Corcoran has recognized the value of suggestions made on these boards and incorporated them into his work.

Number of visits and whether on the weekend, a good, well detailed conversation with the owner, and exegesis of prior locations, richly documented comments on specific dishes, etc.

For readers without access to the paper copy, it received the first rating above the median (Poor-Fair-Satisfactory-Good-VG-Excellent-Extraordinary)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Considering that its a very small ethnic restaurant, a VG rating is probably the best that that kind of place can get and they should be proud of it. I don't think I've ever seen that kind of restaurant get anything better than a VG.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Saigon Republic is now officially incredibly busy.

Hah, Jason. We know the pattern. This will mean a good weekend crowd from now on, and a busy few months of every day traffic.

Then, as always happens, sanity will return and most nights you'll be able to get back in again. The restaurant will permanently have better attendance, but the wave will peak, at least until the Bergen Record does its inevitable copy-cat thing in four or five months and the cycle starts all over again.

Overall the folks at Saigon are bound to be very happy. As I said, at a minimum, a "Very Good" is assured weekend traffic for quite a long time.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Thank you so much for the inside information, Rachel..........we took your advice and ventured out here on Friday night before the review would hit and really had an enjoyable meal! :wub:

I have to admit that when my husband and I entered the restaurant, after a 45 minute ride from Morris County, we were a little taken back by the small size of the place which was only 1/3 full around 8:15, paper menus, and the air conditioning not running, but I reassured my husband and myself that this restaurant was highly recommended from e-gullet and was about to be written up so now was the time to experience it!

Anyway, we were given a basket of Shrimp chips with a chili dipping sauce which was great. Apps: Mini Spring Rolls and Shrimp Summer Rolls which were also great - light, flavorful & fresh. Dinner: Lemon Grass Chicken - outstanding and Garlic Chicken also excellent. Dessert: Fried Bananas with ice cream - unfortunately out of the Steamed Banana Cake with Coconut & Peanut sauce. On our next visit, we would definately try the fish dishes and soups now that we've tried the basics, yet wonderful basics! The waiter/manager was very personable and helpful in making recommendations and did turn on the a/c! The restaurant remained pretty empty for the remainder of the meal which turned out to be nice change from the usual loud and crowded places we normally visit on the weekends. Luckily, we were able to experience this restaurant and cusine before the mad house begins!

By the way, around 9:15 or so, someone was taking pictures of the restaurant......was that you Rachel and Jason? :biggrin:

Considering that its a very small ethnic restaurant, a VG rating is probably the best that that kind of place can get and they should be proud of it. I don't think I've ever seen that kind of restaurant get anything better than a VG.

I agree with you jason. They are bound to lose points simply for being a BYOB. The Times recognizes this. I wish that others would.

Nick

Hah, Jason.  We know the pattern.  This will mean a good weekend crowd from now on, and a busy few months of every day traffic.

Ain't necessarily so...

Ever since Origin got a "Very Good" from the Times last year, it's been next to impossible to get in even on an early weeknight without a reservation.

And we've still seen lines of people hoping for a cancelled reservation waiting outside on Saturday nights (and sometimes during the week).

Not that Somerville is hurting that much for good restaurants...

• 2 weeks later...

After several attempts to go there for dinner on weeknights (need to remember to call ahead, one time they had just seated a walk-in), we managed to get a table for lunch on Saturday. Even at lunch they are now busier than they used to be on weeknights. An interesting phenomena that Joe has noticed is all the Asian women there every Saturday lunch. Jason proposed it is because their husbands were out playing golf. After striking up a friendly conversation about restaurants and eGullet with our neighboring table, they confirmed that indeed that's what their hubby's were out doing while they shopped and did lunch!

I am very happy for them, although KT sounds like she could use a massaging foot bath for Christmas. This post is mostly a shameless plug so you guys remember to make your reservations.

By the way, the website for Saigon Republic is up at

http://www.saigonrepublic.com

• 1 month later...

Saigon Republic was reviewed by the Star Ledger on September 6, 2002. Once again a three star rating. :smile:

Re: Reservations. Yes, they are pretty much required nowadays. However, they are not that hard to get. Generally for a weeknight we just try to call some time in the afternoon. For Friday or Saturday a day or two in advance is usually enough, unless you are a large party. Phone to call for reservations, 201-871-4777. We were there last night and noticed that Joe did seat a few couples without a reservation, but a party of four would have been impossible. We have been there on other nights when they were unable to seat any walk-ins.

Re: Hours. They have adjusted their hours to give a break between lunch and dinner service, previously they were open 11:30 - 9:30 PM and usually had some customers in there all day. Here are the current hours:

Lunch: Tues - Friday 11:30 - 3:00 PM, Saturday 11:30 - 4:30

Dinner: Tues - Thurs 5:00 - 9:00 PM, Friday - Sat until 10 PM

Sunday Dinner Only: 4:30 - 9:00 PM

Closed Monday, BYOB