• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris anniversary dinner

mogsob

My wife and I are traveling to Paris this weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.  Having just moved to London from New York, and on the heels of a two week holiday in Sonoma/Napa, I neglected to make the all-important dinner reservation.

We spent the last 10 days of our honeymoon in Paris and had dinner at Guy Savoy, Pre Catalan, Michel Rostang and Jacques Cagna (and numerous bistros).  Of these, Rostang was the clear winner (the truffles may have had something to do with that).

Any suggestions on a similarly brilliant restaurant that I could secure on such short notice?

Thanks in advance.

It would be easy to list the two and three star restaurants or GualtMillau's top list, but hard to say which one might have an open table. Are you staying at a hotel in Paris? Top concierges often have a bit of pull at one place or another. Restaurants often keep a table open for last minute VIPs and a request from one of their favorite concierges might get the table for you. At least that's how I assume it works. If you have pull with a French resturant in New York or London, they might be able to help as well. Finally, You could call Rostang and, after telling them about the fabulous dinner on your honeymoon, say you had to be in Paris unexepctedly on your first anniversary and would love to repeat the experience. The French are not without some sympathy in these matters. I'm not sure any of these would work.  I think my first suggestion is tried and true, the other two I've pulled out of thin air. Good luck although I think I read your message more with envy than sympathy. ;)

We were in Paris a month aga and able to get tables at good small restaurants on a moment's notice. We didn't try that at the top places and I don't recall an empty table at either Ducasse or Petrossian. American tourism is down however and if restaurants are not hurting, they may not be reserved as far in advance.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 years later...

My husband & I will be in France for the month of November. We will be in Paris for our 30th wedding and I am looking for suggestions of a "special" place to have dinner. We want to be assured (or as close as one can get to assurance) that we get a memorable meal A decent wine selection would be a major plus.

I guess our budget would be in the 500 - 600 euro range for the two of us. Will this be enough for a fine dining experience in Paris?

We have spent alot of time in Paris in the past years. However we have not usually gone for fine dining meals, so my experience in these types of establishments in Paris is very limited. We are flexible on the area as transportation is not a problem.

I have heard from friends of friends of a wonderful restaurant in the Bois de Bologne. If anyone would know the name or have a comment on the restaurant I would be most appreciative.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Life is short, eat dessert first

I have heard from friends of friends of a wonderful restaurant in the Bois de Bologne.  If anyone would know the name or have a comment on the restaurant I would be most appreciative.

There may be more than one restaurant in the Bois de Boulogne, but I suspect you are referring to Pre Catelan. My wife and I ate there last September and absolutely loved it. Definitely a grand dining experience with a beautfiul room and formal ambiance. I think it would be about right for the budget you mention and they certainly have a good wine list. The food is interesting without being overly challenging and expertly prepared.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The current Michelin Guide awards two stars to Pré Catalan. Four crossed forks and spoons in red, indicates a relatively elegant and attractive place. According to Michelin it offers prix fixe menus at 120 & 150 €. Ordering à la carte could run a bit less or a bit more. At your top figure you should be able to enjoy a decent wine, and take a taxi. The option to order a cheap wine that's not good is probably not there anyway. On the other hand, wine prices have no upper limits and I don't know what others consider "decent" when perusing a wine list. Michelin notes that it has an intersting wine list, which is something that's not noted for all restaurants or even all two and three star restaurants.

Also in the Bois de Boulogne, is Grande Cascade with one Michelin star, four red forks and spoons and prices that are just a bit higher--prix fixe at 165 € and à la carte at the same or less.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Thanks for the suggestions on Pre Catelan Tighe. I have read several reviews, mostl reporting a fabulous setting, and comments on the food ranging from excellent to uninspired. Has anyone else eaten there recently?

What other restaurants would you suggest in Paris?

Thanks for your help.

My most memorable meal in Paris was at Taillevent. It was 3 years ago but I can't image the food or service has changed much as it has been run the same way for a very long time.

The food was so perfect, not overly creative as to pushing the bounderies, but just perfectly prepared haute cuisine. We had the tasting menu- 8 courses and each one got rave reviews from us.

It is very cozy as you sit next to each other in booths facing forward. Dimly lit and dark panneled walls. Service like nothing I've ever seen. There was someone assigned just to make sure all our glassware stayed aligned on our table. But not overly stuffy, our waiter just about forced me to try a breadstick making a joke that it was his grandmothers recipe.

The wine list is amazing!!! Many things to choose from. Nicholas the sommelier at the time served us a fantastic half bottle of white and helped us with a full bottle of red. When I emailed them 1 year later about the possibility of guessing what the white was they emailed me back exactly what it was and even offered to help me get some in Seattle. They had a file on us!

Anyway, can't say enough about Taillevent although I know others may not agree. Dinner for 2(tasting menu), champagne, wine, after dinner drinks ran us about 4 hours and $350 3 years ago, I'd say it would be closer to $500-600 now.

Bux - have you eaten recently at either Pre Catelan or Grande Cascade?  Your comments would be appreciated on these - or on any other restaurants you would recomend.  :biggrin:

I have not eaten at either. When we splurge for a high end meal, price is usually not much of a consideration but it's almost always at a chef driven restaurant, that is to say one that is either owned by the chef or that bears his name. Our recent visits to Paris have been brief and as much, or more, social as gastronomic. Few of our meals have been at multistarred restaurants. I guess Arpège, Gagnaire and Ducasse at the Plaza Athenée are our last multistarred meals and probably none of them meet your qualifications, or are what I think you are looking for. I don't think I'd recommend any of these except to someone who already knew something about the styles of the chefs or who had shown a deep interest in very personal high end cuisine. Of these, maybe only Ducasse is guaranteed to offer a memorably pleasing meal to a first time diner. Passard, at Arpège, is a consummate chef, but I believe Jeffrey Steingarten was quoted someplace as saying it took six or seven visits for him to appreciate the food. I think that's a gross exaggeration. I think the first time diner will appreciate it very well. I just don't know that he will appreciate the difference between it and the next level to warrant the price difference. I'd be loathe to suggest my appreciation was better than Jeffrey's either. It's probably outside your budget and too demanding, if you are that interested in food, to take a back seat to your celebration and if you are not that interested in food, it's too great an expense.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Thanks for the suggestions on Pre Catelan Tighe.  I have read several reviews, mostl reporting a fabulous setting, and comments on the food ranging from excellent to uninspired.  Has anyone else eaten there recently?

What other restaurants would you suggest in Paris?

Thanks for your help.

The chef at Pre Catelan, Frederic Anton, is a former pupil of Robuchon and unless he's left, I don't imaging the food has changed significantly. I read many conflicting reviews before my trip and after my meal there concluded that those who panned it were probably looking for food that is more inventive and complex. I'm something of a fan of simple food done very well, so it worked for me. The dish that stands out most clearly for me, maybe out of my whole time in Paris, was a large single, perfect, thick slice of tomato dressed with vanilla caviar, lime zest and walnut oil. The cheese cart at Pre Catelan is epic.

As for other places, people I know who've been to Le Meurice recently are consistent in their praise or you might consider Astrance, though I wouldn't consider it particularly 'romantic'.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thanks for the suggestion, LittleMSFOodie. Taillevent was on my list to have a look at as a possibility, so thanks for the reminder or else I would have forgotten! :biggrin:

Bux - Both my husband and I are sophiticated diners and have a very developed wine palette. We have dined at "starred" restaurants before, just not in Paris. Both of us, as well as the couple that we will be with, have a fair amount of "food" experience. What we are looking for in this dinner is great food, a warm atmosphere and a reasonable wine list. The food does not have to be "cutting edge", but I would like it to have a touch of excitement. I understand the comments that you made about the Passard, at Arpège and appreciate your honesty. I think your comments are correct.

I did notice that Patricia Wells has Pre Catelan on her recommended list from 1998-2001, but it is absent for 2002 and 2003.

I understand the comments that you made ... and appreciate your honesty.

They were made more in my interpretation of what you seemed to be looking for, than in regard to your experience. I'm glad it was taken that way. Any chance you'd consider getting out of town for the night? On a trip that included Gagnaire in Paris, les Magnolias in the suburbs and la Côte St. Jacques in Joigny, the two meals I most remember were in the Loire at a couple of two star restaurants--Hotel du Lion d'Or in Romorantin and Domaine des Hauts de Loire in Onzain. I give the Liion d'Or the edge in food, and the Domaine des Hauts de Loire an edge for it's country wooded grounds and setting, but neither is lacking in comfort or good food. The price of the room would push this to your limit and you've still got to buy breakfast, but food is generally a better buy in the country than it is in Paris and of course you'd still have to get there and back. Lion d'Or also prides itself on its selection of Loire wines. My apologies for thinking out of the box if this is an appealing, but impossible solution.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

I'm glad it was taken that way. Any chance you'd consider getting out of town for the night?

This is part of a 4 week holiday in France. The other three weeks will be spent in the "country", so the one week that we will be in Paris is meant for Paris only. I know what you mean by the dining dollar stretching further in the country than in Paris, however - you are quite correct.

Maybe I will just have to increase the budget for the night! :laugh:

So far I think we are looking at either Pre Catelan or Taillevent. Will check out Le Meurice - thanks Tighe.

My apologies for thinking out of the box if this is an appealing, but impossible solution.

No need to apologize. All suggestions are welcome and will be considered! :biggrin:

What we are looking for in this dinner is great food, a warm atmosphere and a reasonable wine list. The food does not have to be "cutting edge", but I would like it to have a touch of excitement. .

There are 2 restaurants that meet your req'ts.

-Le meurice.Stunning interiors.modern cuisine with an inventive twist.Good wine list. good value for a 2 star experience.

-Le bristol.Remarkable interiors.Outstanding cuisine.knowlegdable sommelier.

This is another 2 star experience within your budget.

Happy anniversary

My most memorable meal in Paris was at Taillevent. It was 3 years ago but I can't image the food or service has changed much as it has been run the same way for  a very long time.

The food was so perfect, not overly creative as to pushing the bounderies, but just perfectly prepared haute cuisine. We had the tasting menu- 8 courses and each one got rave reviews from us.

It is very cozy as you sit next to each other in booths facing forward. Dimly lit and dark panneled walls. Service like nothing I've ever seen. There was someone assigned just to make sure all our glassware stayed aligned on our table. But not overly stuffy, our waiter just about forced me to try a breadstick making a joke that it was his grandmothers recipe.

The wine list is amazing!!! Many things to choose from. Nicholas the sommelier at the time served us a fantastic half bottle of white and helped us with a full bottle of red. When I emailed them 1 year later about the possibility of guessing what the white was they emailed me back exactly what it was and even offered to help me get some in Seattle. They had a file on us!

Anyway, can't say enough about Taillevent although I know others may not agree. Dinner for 2(tasting menu), champagne, wine, after dinner drinks ran us about 4 hours and $350 3 years ago, I'd say it would be closer to $500-600 now.

I will second the recommendation on this wonderful place. My wife and I ate there on our honeymoon a little over a year ago. We ate a la carte, with a couple of cocktails and an 90E bottle of wine, for a total of about 350E. The food was wonderful (My wife fell in love with a passionfruit souffle for dessert), but the service was the thing I will never forget. They really know how to work as a team -- you are constantly watched and attended to, but never intruded upon and never, ever, forgotten. Everything was anticipated. Great evening.

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

Le meurice.Stunning interiors.modern cuisine with an inventive twist.Good wine list. good value for a 2 star experience

I just looked at the web site for Le Meurice. OH MY GOD - what an interier dining room. The menu looked interesting as well.

Definately added that one to the short list! :biggrin:

I have been at Meurice once and Pre Catelan three times. You will not go wrong with either. I like both of them more than some three stars. But they are very different in style and cooking philosophy.

Last year, in Pre Catelan, when they called for a cab, nobody was available. So they allocated the restaurant's own chauffeur to us and he took us all the way to our hotel on the 5th arrondissement. No charge.

Les Ambassadeurs is as luxurious as Meurice and the chef was the chef de cuisine at Ducasse. It is Ducasse food. Very short menu. Exquisite ingredients.

Bristol is as good as the other 3 mentioned. But their summer room is more beautiful than the winter room.

I also recommend Relais d'Auteuil for a truly French experience. A well kept secret. The wine list there is better than the four I mentioned---although all 4 are good. Relais d'Auteuil is very cozy and stylish without being grand luxury like Meurice and Ambassadeurs or as romantic as Pre Catelan. (It is impressive that after 30 years you still want a romantic place. I will certainly tell my wife that there are very nice women...)

Hope this helps rather than further compounds a difficult problem.

I have been at Meurice once and Pre Catelan three times. You will not go wrong with either. I like both of them more than some three stars. But they are very different in style and cooking philosophy

Could you please comment on the different cooking philosophies - I am interested in this!

Thanks

I think Tighe summarized Pre Catelan well. There is also a report by Lizzie on Pre Catelan if you make a search. I think the philosophy is basically let the ingredients speak and the chef does not like to make big statements or awe the person. Modernized classical cooking. Superb sea urchin appetizer, best Breton turbot and sole, partridge grilled on a spit in season, etc. Unmistakeably French cuisine rooted in the nouvelle cuisine revolution.

Meurice paints the eye more. He is more attuned to impress the diner and clearly Yannick Alleno, the chef, has been in the most "in" places. His cuisine provides you with a good dose of faddish stuff like foams, infusions, little goodies on a ceramic spoon, etc. Sounds pejorative but NO. Alleno uses restraint. Essentially he is a good and creative student of French classical haute cuisine so the faddish elements makes sense, adds to the overall harmony and with the exception of the desserts his dishes are seriously conceived.

Eric Frechon at Bristol is very interesting too. Esp. if you do not order the relatively tame menu degustation and try his more rustic dishes which stem from his cuisine bourgeoise/bistro origins. I like him.

All three chefs are on the rise and rank somewhere from 6 to 15 among the very best in Paris which IMO is the best place on earth for high level dining.

A word on Taillevent. Many people who rightly praise it have dined there during the reign of Philippe Legendre who is an excellent classical chef, top in handling game (gibier) but he is not chef at the three star Le Cinq which I have not been to. His successor was not too successful and now he is succeeded by Soliveres whom I like very much from Les Elysees. But I read mixed reports about his success at Taillevent and apparently there are some problems in the dining room. Soliveres' cooking makes ample use of Mediterranean and Northern Spanish and Basque ingredients and cooking techniques which do not quite fit into Taillevent's reputation as solid and classical French and perhaps there are transitional problems. I for one is very very curious about how it will work out. I should warn you though they allocate best tables at Taillevent to people who stay in 5 star hotels(and regulars understandably) thinking they are more likely to spend for expensive wine. If you are not staying in Ritz or Plaza Athenee or Bristol, you may want to write a not to the owner of Taillevent, Monsieur Vrinat about the significance of the day. He is a consummate professional. Your dinner will be 20 to 30 percent higher than what you specified in the beginning(with fine wine--let Vrinat choose he speaks English) but I think you will have a memorable dinner in most refined surroundings.

I have been at Meurice once and Pre Catelan three times. You will not go wrong with either. I like both of them more than some three stars. But they are very different in style and cooking philosophy

Could you please comment on the different cooking philosophies - I am interested in this!

Thanks

Eric Frechon at Bristol is very interesting too.  Esp. if you do not order the relatively tame menu degustation and try his more rustic dishes which stem from his cuisine bourgeoise/bistro origins.  I like him.

I had a great meal at the Bristol about a year ago; I did have the degustation; the Crab soup and Turbot were delicious and very memorable. The service was fantastic, and the Winter room is great.

Last time I was in Paris I ate at a 1 star called Braisière in the 17th. There wasn't one on the menu, so we asked if one was possible. The chef came out and spoke to us and asked about our likes and dislikes and put a dego together for us; it was very good. After the meal the chef came out and spoke to us about our meal. The place itself was small and quite nice. The english amongst the staff was minimal though. The menu was 70 euros each for 7 courses. The food is country french; the chef is from the Gascogne.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Eric Frechon at Bristol is very interesting too.  Esp. if you do not order the relatively tame menu degustation and try his more rustic dishes which stem from his cuisine bourgeoise/bistro origins.  I like him.

I had a great meal at the Bristol about a year ago; I did have the degustation; the Crab soup and Turbot were delicious and very memorable. The service was fantastic, and the Winter room is great.

Last time I was in Paris I ate at a 1 star called Braisière in the 17th. There wasn't one on the menu, so we asked if one was possible. The chef came out and spoke to us and asked about our likes and dislikes and put a dego together for us; it was very good. After the meal the chef came out and spoke to us about our meal. The place itself was small and quite nice. The english amongst the staff was minimal though. The menu was 70 euros each for 7 courses. The food is country french; the chef is from the Gascogne.

As I have mentionned earlier Le Meurice and Le Bristol are my favorite 2 star

restaurants in Paris.Among the 1 star restaurants la Braisiere is one of my favorite

for the reasons mentionned above.THe chef and his sister,the hostess go out of their way to please you and the total cost for the experience is a steal.Its also a very french place.Few tourists.But they are made to feel welcome.

restaurants in Paris.Among the 1 star restaurants la Braisiere is one of my favorite

for the reasons mentionned above.THe chef and his sister,the hostess go out of their way to please you and the total cost for the experience is a steal.Its also a very french place.Few tourists.But they are made to feel welcome.