• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dave the Cook's Kitchen Reno On the Cheap

Dave the Cook

For a variety of reasons that I won't go into here, I'm moving from a very nicely equipped space to the undistinguished kitchen you see here:

kitchen_3a.jpg

kitchen_4a.jpg

kitchen_2a.jpg

kitchen_1a.jpg

kitchen_plan.gif

The issues:

- The range and dishwasher (both KitchenAid) are both 24 years old. I have no idea how well they work, but I am not sanguine about the range. It's that raised ceramic disc design that preceded today's flat-glass top ceramic designs. (I have an adequte refrigerator.)

- The counter space next to the refrigerator will be occupied by a toaster and a microwave. This means the only reasonable work space is between the sink and the range. For weeknight dinners, this space is probably adequate for prep. But there's no place to set down hot sheet- or roasting-pans, and if I want to knead bread dough or roll out pie crusts, I'm going to be challenged.

- I have a lot of pans, and a lot of tools and gadgets. Cabinetry is paltry for the former, and drawer space is inadequate for the latter.

- We need room to put a small table (and chairs) in the room -- big enough for two people to have morning coffee, if one is reading the paper.

- The floor (sheet vinyl) is also 24 years old. It's cracking, yellowed and brittle.

-The wallpaper sucks.

- The ceiling is 7-1/2 feet, although the lenticular panels you see actually hide a one-foot-deep recess that contains four four-foot twin-bulb fluorescent fixtures. Regardless, the space seems much smaller than it really is because my head is so close to the ceiling.

- I'm sure there's more, but it escapes me at the moment. I'm sure it will come out in the course of the discussion.

- I am nearly broke. I can spend $1000 on this. OK, maybe, $1500.

Help me increase my work space, raise the roof, solve my equipment storage problems, lay me a new floor, get me new appliances, and leave enough space for informal dining -- and do it all for the same budget that Paige Davis would stick to.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Important questions for you: how soon do you need/want this all to be accomplished? How handy are you in general? Obviously, the more you can do on your own, the cheaper the cost.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

The good thought to hold in your head is that there are many New Yorkers who would die of jealousy to have a kitchen that large....

But having had various experiences myself in moving from a kitchen one was happy with to a kitchen one was not (and sometimes not having the option of renovation) all I can say is, if worst comes to worst, well..."close your eyes and think of England".

It might be helpful to list which (of all these things that need changing), is the most important to you. What bothers you the most? If you have a prioritized list, you can get some things 'just right' at the moment, and make do with the other stuff till later...

I would strongly encourage you to replace that flooring and to redo the wall. This will brighten the kitchen and make it feel a lot more comfortable even though it won't help with the storage and other problems. We replaced our kitchen floor (stick on tiles :wacko: over ancient poorly-maintained crack mosaic-style tiny tiles) this summer with wood laminate. I think it only cost a few hundred and my spouse did all the work--but we've done enough home improvement projects that we had all the tools, we just had to pay for flooring and molding. Wallpaper is easy and cheap to remove--I can do it on my own and I am not at all handy. Primer and a fresh coat of paint will work wonders. Hang a painting or a mirror over the utility door in the middle of the wall. I'm guessing you could do that for under $100. If you feel really fancy you can rag or sponge a second color over the base color for another $30 or so. Painting is easy and cheap.

I don't think you can really replace that range right now, given your budget and your other kitchen concerns. Just for the record, though, is the kitchen hooked up for gas?

To help with the space problem, I am wondering if you can fit a small work table or island of some sort in there in addition to a small dining table. We had one in my kitchen when I was growing up, it was wood and had a drawer for tools, slots on the side for knives, and a little storage space underneath. You could cut directly on the wood top if you wanted and you could place hot pans directly on the surface if needed without warping anything. It had wheels so we could push it into another room if it was in the way.

If you don't get something like this I suspect you will need a dining table on which you can do things like placing your hot pans and maybe even rolling out pie crusts. I have a much larger kitchen than you do and I sometimes use my grandmother's dining room table for food prep and for hot pans. (I have table pads to protect it.) If you're buying the table I would look for something that's mostly a cabinet with leaves that you pull out when you want to sit down. That way there's some storage underneath. Try not to add anything to the kitchen that doesn't include storage.

This is going to be fun.

A few early thoughts:

1) I think it's helpful to divide your thinking into the practical and the cosmetic. Sometimes the two categories overlap, as with task lighting. I'm guessing there isn't task lighting installed under those cabinets, and that's certainly a top priority and economical expenditure. But in most cases cosmetic and practical can be divided.

a) The floor. Here's an example of a place where you don't actually need to do anything from a practical standpoint. Cracked ugly-ass linoleum is objectively an excellent flooring material. It's good to stand on, it's good if you drop stuff on it, and it does all the things a floor needs to do. Given that you're a real cook on a limited budget, I'd say just forget about doing anything to the floor. Instead, lay down a few brightly colored non-skid mats in the key work areas to provide extra padding when you're standing in front of the sink and stove, and walking into the room. These will draw attention away from the rest of the floor. Same strategy for the countertop: just leave it, and lay down some really nice boards -- a butcher block one and maybe also a marble one -- as semi-permanent fixtures.

b) The cabinets. I'm assuming they're not particularly nice wood, though I can't really tell from the photos. Here's a place where you can spend very little money but use some of your own labor to make a major cosmetic change. To wit, I would consider painting them white.

2) It does seem that if you're a heavy user of toaster and microwave you need to commit some of that L to it, but it would make sense to commit as little as possible. Are the toaster and microwave already owned or are they being purchased?

3) For a table I would suggest more of a counter: a long narrow table pushed up into the top right corner of the diagram and running the long way along the right-hand wall. A table but configured as a counter. Preferably you could find something with a backsplash so it could be a usable auxiliary work area for cooking, especially for rolling dough and such. You could even build such an item, which would allow you to template a curved or L-shaped top that makes the turn towards the window such that, when a couple of people are sitting at it, they're not facing the wall but are, rather, partially oriented towards that window.

4) If you did that table configuration you'd still have two bits of space. In particular I'd be interested to know the number of inches between the door and window at the top of the diagram. Maybe it's 30 or even 36 inches and you can put a workstation in there with a usable main surface and a higher shelf. Maybe that higher shelf could even hold the microwave and/or toaster. Underneath might be a good place for the KitchenAid. You'd also have some space near the bottom right of the diagram, which might be usable for something -- ceiling-wise that might be a logical place to suspend a pot rack, if you can engineer it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A little white paint will go a long way to at least making the kitchen look cheerful. I'm in agreement with Fat Guy on two points. Ignore the floor for now, and put down some nice non skid mats. As he indicates, paint the cabinets white and change the knobs. (knobs are cheap at Home Depot).

I agree that a long table down that wall would solve some of your prep area issues. I'm not sure the kitchen is big enough for an island and it will be a bit of a distance from the stove to the talbe, but you'd have a surface to work on. You could possibly put the microwave and the toaster over there, which would leave the L counter free for setting down hot sheets etc easily from the oven.

With the long table, if you are handy enough to build it yourself, you could add storage underneath it. even if it's just shelving for now. That would give you some additional space to store stuff. If it's practical to make it an L shape that seats people at the end, that's the best option, but if not, a nice little table with two chairs would fit in front of that window. (too bad you're so far away, I have a table and chairs just like that looking for a home).

Doing these things are relatively cheap, and it might allow you enough left over to replace that range with something decent. Not top of the line, but something you'll be happier cooking on. The rest can wait.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

How about something like this compact breakfast set? There’s one in the furnished apartment I’m renting now. With space at a premium in Manhattan (to say the least), it's very handy. Since it’s on casters you could move it closer to the counter for prep, and if the tile is the same as mine (ceramic), it’s suitable for hot pots, etc.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

This is probably a minor thing, but do you need that door to close off the kitchen? If not, I'd take it down, so you don't have to move it everytime you need to get to the pantry-opening it up might help you feel less claustrophobic in the kitchen.

In your place, I'd do a coat of paint, but I wouldn't worry about the flooring, unless it's SO cracked that it's difficult to clean. And I agree with everyone that the key is finding a multipurpose workspace/seating area. It's tough, but you may need to pare down your batterie de cuisine & store stuff you don't want to get rid of in other rooms (& have a list somewhere of where you put things).

I feel your pain--your kitchen is a lot like mine. At least your dishwasher is built in , and you don't have to roll it across the floor and tie up the sink for an hour.

Can you buy one of those vent/microwaves that hang above the stove? That would free up some space. The toaster could sit on the breakfast table, if you have a plug handy.

I have a slab of marble next to the stove to set hot pots on--bought it at the monument place for $20.

sparrowgrass

I've done two kitchens recently (actually one and a half; I'm not done with the current one yet).

And, my new kitchen is vastly smaller than my old one. Great for cooking, bad for storage.

The wall paper is the easiest and cheapest thing to take care of. Get it off, paint the walls white. Hopefully, the kitchen has that vinyly wallpaper that is easy to pull off. A pail of hot water, a putty knife, and washing with TSP.

Gadget storage. When I was at Ikea recently, they had magnetic bars. I have attached a few to the wall for gadgets, and have a magnetic knife rack on the wall. I simply couldn't give up what limited counterspace I have to a knife block.

Think seriously about an over-the-stove microwave. I didn't have that option (there is no wall behind my stove), so put one above the sink.

Store all of that stuff you don't use very often elsewhere. The cookie cutters, the roaster, etc. Keep everything you store elsewhere in the same place so you don't have to hunt for it.

The floor. I do plan on replacing the flooring this winter. But, in the meantime, I live with really ugly harvest gold sheet vinyl. Full of nicks, dents, cigarette burns, as well as all of the dimples that were part of the "look". I got down on my hands and knees and gave the thing a really good scrubbing and waxed it. It helped. It looks better. The wax sort of filled in some of the dings and dimples so it is easier to clean. Any idea what's under the vinyl? A friend just pulled her's up, intending to lay down CVT, and found hardwood underneath! Your floor is kind of large for looking for a remant of something, but you may want to keep your eyes open.

If the dishwasher is one of the old Kitchenaids that was made by Hobart, it will last for a long time. We had one in our old house, and the thing was built to last. I recall a part failing once (timer as I recall). The part of easy to find, cheap and super easy to install.

Save your money for the stove.

The two doors are kind of a pain and really chew up space. And, it looks like you'll need to use them both so can't put a bookshelf in front of one of them. Is there an area that you could put up a shelf high up for stuff like pots, pans, or serving pieces?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

This is going to be fun.

1) I think it's helpful to divide your thinking into the practical and the cosmetic. Sometimes the two categories overlap, as with task lighting. I'm guessing there isn't task lighting installed under those cabinets, and that's certainly a top priority and economical expenditure.

I could not agree with Steve more about the task lighting. It's very cheap, can be done quickly and easily, and it makes a world of difference. Varying the type of lighting can also add dimension to the work space, and make your work easier. :smile:

Everyone's comments are really helpful. I have answers for all the questions, but no time to write them down. Things are moving very fast -- I'm off to paint the cabinets now (excellent and cheap suggestion), and need to meet the cable guy in an hour. I'll be back later -- with interim pictures.

Thanks, everyone.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Visit Ikea and find one of those half round white formica w/wood edge tables that attaches to the wall, has a hinged spine and also a swinging support arm. It will drop down flush against the all on weekends when you need extra space. It's at or well under $100. They have some decent little folding wooden chairs at about $25 each (skip the $12 - $15 chairs - I have them for emergencies but they're not comfy enough for daily sitting.

Now look around at building supply "outlet stores" (here in the Northeast the one I see most often is Mr. Second's Bargain Outlet or Grossman's Bargain Outlet). They should have a good sized kitchen cart with a cutting block work surface and some shelves/drawers/rack space underneath. It's on locking casters and can be moved around. Should be under $250 (you can buy similar carts of higher quality from John Boos or Ikea but all of their models are pricey).

I have a slab of marble next to the stove to set hot pots on--bought it at the monument place for $20.

I put cork on the underside of ceramic tiles and made a "counter top" beside my stove to take the hot pots and pans. It's a stop gap until we can afford to put all ceramic tile counters in place.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a small kitchen, too-it's pretty, but was designed for a single guy who never cooked. Making it larger would be cost-prohibitive. It is the most functional kitchen I have ever cooked in, and it started out being depressing. (The Wolf range was not there, nor was the pantry.)

This is how we solved the problem: a 30-inch by 60-inch work table w/ a chopping block surface. I'd post a picture, but I can't find my eGullet photo album, so here's a link to a thread where the picture is: (it's post 105) http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=kitchen&st=100

I love this table-I use it for prep, use it to plate food, use it to stack dirty dishes. This particular one was from Williams-Sonoma, and the company is no longer in business, but I've seen other similar ones. It cost a little over $1000 (delivered up stairs) 7 years ago. It's very heavy-duty-that's the key.

I once owned a stove like that. It takes forever to heat up, but those hobs get really hot. You will be able to stir-fry on it.

I agree w/ Fat Guy. Get some colorful rugs, paint the cabinets white. Hang a great poster in the dining area. Get a pot rack. I've had great success taking off the upper cabinet doors in several dreary kitchens-once painted, once plain wood. Arrange some colorful dishes and glasses and no one will even notice the base cabinets. I'd also take off the door to the kitchen and take off the doors to those pantry shelves-make it look like a real working kitchen. Here's a link to the thread that has a picture of my pantry (the former laundry room) http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...5086&hl=kitchen Any chance you have a laundry room next to your kitchen? It really is amazing how much stuff fits in there! You could also put up shelves along the wall w/ that wallpaper-you have to be neat, but chances are you have enough good-looking stuff to put out on display. An open kitchen isn't for everyone, but if you put enough stuff out on display, no one will notice your cabinets.

My personal priority would be to get rid of that wallpaper border. My next investment would not be a stove, but some better lighting. I'd invest in new appliances one at a time. Considering the age of your appliances, I'd probably keep $500. or so in a savings account, assuming they were going to blow when I could least afford to replace them. I'd assume that you are going to new a new DW, stove, and fridge any day. Only when I'd saved the cost of two appliances would I replace the one I hated most.

Edited by marie-louise (log)

Yeah, some sort of baker's rack or multi-level workstation would be ideal. That's a total yard-sale item too -- no need to buy a new one.

I'll cast a vote against the over-the-stove microwave. You want a cheap-ass microwave from Costco that you can treat as disposable and replace when necessary.

Be sure to do some testing on those cabinets when you paint. You may need to rough up the surface and apply a primer-sealer, or whatever. And remove the doors to pain them, of course.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'll cast a vote against the over-the-stove microwave. You want a cheap-ass microwave from Costco that you can treat as disposable and replace when necessary.

I couldn't agree more - I've got an over-the-stove microwave in the kitchen here and it's useless. It's an awful microwave and a worse vent-hood.

I was thinking a baker's rack on that long wall would be good microwave & toaster placement area, freeing up the countertop.

I have another suggestion: let go of the idea of eating in there. If you don't have a dining room, then use part of the living room as a dining area. If you use that empty area for shelving and a work table, you'll have a VERY functional space-with a lot of storage. It will look like a cook's kitchen!

I seem to remember that Ikea has yet to move into Atlanta, and that's a crying shame. They carry all sorts of minitables, carts, cool extra storage and Things on Wheels in general.

I'm glad you're painting the cabinets white--that's a great first move. But I'm against leaving the doors off anything! I tried it once, and it's easier to wipe grease from a flat painted surface than it is from the stuff on the top shelves.

I see red knobs. Dunno why, but I do. And I've always yearned for red and white checkerboard tile on the floor.

Hmmm. Let us know about the stove. From this distance, I'm dubious.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I couldn't agree more - I've got an over-the-stove microwave in the kitchen here and it's useless.  It's an awful microwave and a worse vent-hood.

We just mounted a cheap ass microwave over the sink, using some strapping. I didn't have room for a baker's rack for microwave and toaster.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Do you have a Lowe's in Atlanta? If so, check out their kitchen work tables and accessories.

They have several, different sizes, different storage configurations, some with an integral wine rack. They are very reasonably priced and very sturdy.

They even have one with a granite top that is perfect for baking prep.

see them here.

My store has several additional ones, including a large butcher block topped table for which you can get unfinished stools that will slide right under it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Lowe's does have some cool stuff for very reasonable prices. The butcher block islands with storage are quite nice.

I'm very interested in following the discussion on cooktops. As my house is built on a concrete slab with no gas line to the kitchen, it would be too expensive to add gas for a stove.

I would love to hear the recommendations for the best (or most favored) electric stove -- whether glass-top or traditional burners, I don't care.

Gas just isn't a viable option.

TIA and sorry if I'm hijacking a thread. Should I post a separate thread? Want to be PC!

Two quick thoughts. eBay has a very wide range of cheap stuff -- task lighting, knobs for cabinets, knife magnets -- for way less than Lowe's or Home Depot. They also have quirky stuff that you can't find at those big stores, which buy lots of the same old basic stuff in massive bulk.

Now look around at building supply "outlet stores" (here in the Northeast the one I see most often is Mr. Second's Bargain Outlet or Grossman's Bargain Outlet). They should have a good sized kitchen cart with a cutting block work surface and some shelves/drawers/rack space underneath. It's on locking casters and can be moved around. Should be under $250  (you can buy similar carts of higher quality from John Boos or Ikea but all of their models are pricey).

I think that the moving island is a great idea. I use mine literally every night several times, to cut things up, for mise en place, to place serving dishes, to dry wine glasses, and on and on. While I think it's an essential part of our kitchen, I think spending a quarter of your budget on one right now doesn't make sense to me. Here's an idea that requires a bit more time but may be worth it for you.

We live in a 1930 house that we're trying slowly to restore to midcentury modern, and we have a similarly small kitchen. We temporarily used a supremely cheap rolling cart that we dumpster-dived until we found our dream item: a section of original 1930s cabinetry (from the lower east side of NYC no less) at a yard sale. It cost us $20, and it is the centerpiece of the room now. The formica top slides out, and there are two flatware drawers, a kitchen towel drawer, and two large doors that open into the main storage area below. We attached a towel bar on each side, and we keep two cutting board areas plus our big marble slab on it.

To adapt it, all we had to do was secure two boards along the base and attach four heavy-duty casters. It is not only a great functional moving island but it is also higher than cabinet height (we're both tall). While this may sound idiosyncratic, there's more of this stuff around than you think, because it's nearly impossible to insert cabinetry into any given kitchen.

Hope that's helpful! Do keep us posted!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'm negative on anything on casters or anything that swings up or out. If you're a high-impact cook those types of things just aren't stable. People will swear up and down that they are -- they have this special kind of locking caster or this one is really much more stable than the norm -- but if you pound and hammer like a restaurant cook you'll wreck those pieces pretty quickly.

I also concur that doors on cabinets are good. If you cook in such a way as to generate a lot of smoke and vaporized grease, you want everything in the kitchen covered or enclosed to the greatest extent possible.

Great lighting is expensive. It requires specialized fixtures and a lot of knowledge about positioning and aesthetics, not to mention all the wiring work you have to do, which could also include the need for additional power. What I'd focus on are simple issues of quantity and quality of light. Install task lighting under every cabinet -- every single one and as much as you can cram in there. And replace all the bulbs on the ceiling -- especially the fluorescent ones -- with state-of-the-art warm, natural light bulbs. You will be amazed at how much better the premium fluorescent bulbs are than standard-issue Sylvania or GE, and it's just not a big expense.