• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fernet Branca & Branca Menta Recipes

Chris Amirault

I've been tweaking away and think that I've come up with a pretty damned good variation on the Toronto Cocktail which -- my first foray into cocktail nomenclature -- I'm calling the Corktown Cocktail:

2 oz rye

1/4 oz Fernet Branca

1/4 oz Cointreau (go light)

1/4 oz demerara 1:1 syrup (go light)

dash Angostura

dash orange bitters

Stir, pour, and serve with a fat orange twist that you've squeezed over the glass.

I made the recipe above last night and it turned out mighty tasty. I didn't have any Cointreau on hand, so I used Luxardo Triplum. Overall the cocktail was well balanced and blended well. The idea of Cherry Brandy eje mentioned intrigues me. That may be tonights experiment.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 9 months later...

I realize this thread is a little long in the tooth by now, but around these parts that doesn't seem to dissuade anyone, so here goes...

Last night I tried the Fernet Branca Cocktail from DeGroff's "The Craft of the Cocktail" --

2 oz gin

1/2 oz Fernet Branca

3/4 oz sweet vermouth

Flamed lemon peel for garnish (surprise, surprise...)

Not a "beginner's" drink by any means, but by the end of it the thing was growing on me...

Edit: spelling

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I realize this thread is a little long in the tooth by now, but around these parts that doesn't seem to dissuade anyone, so here goes...

Last night I tried the Fernet Branca Cocktail from DeGroff's "The Craft of the Cocktail" --

2 oz gin

1/2 oz Fernet Branca

3/4 oz sweet vermouth

Flamed lemon peel for garnish (surprise, surprise...)

Not a "beginner's" drink by any means, but by the end of it the thing was growing on me...

Edit: spelling

a very similar drink was floating around boston throughout the fall called the "hanky panky"... i think its from the savoy cocktail book and the fernet measurement is just a couple dashes (1/4 oz.)

delish

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

a very similar drink was floating around boston throughout the fall called the "hanky panky"... i think its from the savoy cocktail book and the fernet measurement is just a couple dashes (1/4 oz.)

delish

The Hanky Panky Cocktail is commonly attributed to the head bartender who preceeded Mr. Harry Craddock at the Savoy Hotel's American Bar, Ms. Ada Coleman.

The "Savoy Cocktail Book" version of the Hanky Panky is as follows:

Hanky Panky Cocktail

2 Dashes Fernet Branca.

1/2 Italian Vermouth.

1/2 Dry Gin.

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass. Squeeze orange peel on top.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Oh and, by the bye, among the 7 cocktails in the "Savoy Cocktail Book" containing Fernet, there is a cocktail called the "Fernet Branca Cocktail":

Fernet Branca Cocktail

1/4 Fernet Branca.

1/4 Italian Vermouth.

1/2 Dry Gin.

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

Mr. Craddock (or the Savoy editors) state:

Note: One of the best "morning-after" cocktails ever invented.  Fernet-Branca, an Italian vegetable extract, is a marvelous headache cure. (No advt.)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Depends what you're after.

If your head is ringing after a night of drinking, the bitter tonic resulting from the proportions of the "Fernet Branca cocktail" might be what you need to settle your nerves.

If you're looking for a pleasant pre or post dinner libation, the "Hanky Panky" proportions might be a better choice.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Depends what you're after.

If your head is ringing after a night of drinking, the bitter tonic resulting from the proportions of the "Fernet Branca cocktail" might be what you need to settle your nerves.

If you're looking for a pleasant pre or post dinner libation, the "Hanky Panky" proportions might be a better choice.

i thought that if you used a 1/4 oz. of fernet it would come into focus most in your mouth when the drink was at its coldest... and when the cocktail warmed even slightly it would evolve and other flavors would come into focus...

i used that in my "prelude to a kiss" drink... using a pomegranite ratafia instead of the vermouth...

2 oz. gin

3/4 oz. ratafia

1/4 oz. fernet

you can use most any fun sweet thing instead of the ratafia...

bostonapothecary.com

Makes sense. Though I would make the Savoy Hanky Panky as: 1 1/4 oz Gin; 1 1/4 oz Italian Vermouth; 1/2 tsp Fernet. The Savoy measurements for the Fernet cocktail would be: 1 1/4 oz Gin; generous 1/2 oz Fernet; generous 1/2 oz Italian Vermouth.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Made myself a "Hanky Panky" tonight to (more or less) the Savoy proportions (I was killing a bottle of Plymouth, so there was a touch more gin.) Was a bit surprised (or maybe not) at how much the Fernet dominated the cocktail even at only approx 2 dashes.

Nice, all the same, if you enjoy the minty-herby flavor of Fernet Branca.

Kind of hard to imagine "enjoying" the proportions "Fernet Branca Cocktail" in any other than a tonic way. That would be a pretty bitter cup.

But, then, it is not uncommon for Fernet to be drunk straight as a shot here in San Francisco, land of the Barbary Pirates, so who knows...

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

Made the Savoy Fernet Branca Cocktail the other night:

generous 1 oz Dry Gin

generous 1/2 oz Fernet Branca

generous 1/2 oz Italian Vermouth

...and have to say, unless you are specifically looking for the therapeutic effects of Fernet Branca (or really enjoy Fernet) my advice is to stick with the Hanky Panky recipe.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

...and have to say, unless you are specifically looking for the therapeutic effects of Fernet Branca (or really enjoy Fernet) my advice is to stick with the Hanky Panky recipe.

Definitely - I find that any quantity of Fernet over a dash or two and it tends to completely dominate all of the other flavors, to the point that I was considering putting some in the dropper bottles I use for bitters and dosing it out like that.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Miller (Death & Company - NYC) made a Fernet cocktail for me that we're now calling the Second Sip. Why the second sip? Because everyone takes a second sip to try and figure it out.

2 oz Compass Box Asyla Scotch

1/2 oz Carpano Antica sweet vermouth

1/2 oz Cockburn 20 yr old Tawny Port

1/4 oz Fernet Branca

2 dashes Xocolatl Mole Bitters

Stir, strain and serve in a coupe. Please, no garnish!

Now, I know that the bitters aren't available to the general public yet (we're working on it). In the mean time, the drink still works without any bitters - or you can try a dash of Fee Brothers Aromatic, which should still work very well - just in a slightly different manner.

Avery Glasser

Bittermens, Inc. - Producers of Bittermens Bitters & Extracts

Bittermens Spirits, Inc. - Purveyors of Small Batch Bitter Liqueurs

Vendetta Spirits, LLC. - Nano-Importer of Hand-Produced Spirits

I find that any quantity of Fernet over a dash or two and it tends to completely dominate all of the other flavors, to the point that I was considering putting some in the dropper bottles I use for bitters and dosing it out like that.

Try the Corktown Cocktail, Chris. It'll sway you. Or make you sway, at any rate.

2 dashes Xocolatl Mole Bitters

Now, I know that the bitters aren't available to the general public yet (we're working on it). In the mean time, the drink still works without any bitters - or you can try a dash of Fee Brothers Aromatic, which should still work very well - just in a slightly different manner.

You are so, so mean. Don't you think that the eGullet Society membership need to do some test marketing for you?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

You are so, so mean. Don't you think that the eGullet Society membership need to do some test marketing for you?

Sorry about that - unfortunately we need to be very strict and most importantly, be able to account for every bottle and be able to justify to the ATF/TTB every person who receives a sample up until we gain regulatory approval.

Hopefully we'll receive approval soon...

Avery Glasser

• 3 months later...
I find that any quantity of Fernet over a dash or two and it tends to completely dominate all of the other flavors, to the point that I was considering putting some in the dropper bottles I use for bitters and dosing it out like that.

Try the Corktown Cocktail, Chris. It'll sway you. Or make you sway, at any rate.

Well, finally getting around to taking your advice, Chris (though I have to admit that I don't really need swaying: I kinda like Fernet). I made myself a Corktown this evening and as you say, mighty tasty. I used a Jim Beam rye, which I generally don't much care for because it has a very sweet overtone, but it works pretty well with the Fernet. Nice cocktail, though I may have to have a few more to confirm these comments... :wink:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

When I was at Bourbon and Branch they made a nice drink for me call the

Green Hornet

2 rye

.5 Fernet B

.5 Green Chartruese

I found it quite lovely. I came home and promply switched the rye out for Junipero gin and found it even a more satisfying drink. Sometimes one really gets interesting results putting two tyrants like Green Chrt. and Fernet B. in the same room.

Last night Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli at Eastern Standard in Boston made a fantastic little nightcap...

1 part Thomas Handy

1 part Chartreuse Yellow VEP

1 part Fernet Branca

Dash orange bitters

Stir and serve in a crushed-ice filled rocks glass with an orange twist.

Avery Glasser

Last night Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli at Eastern Standard in Boston made a fantastic little nightcap...

1 part Thomas Handy

1 part Fernet Branca

Dash orange bitters

Just made that with Sazerac 18 year, a verrrry old bottle of yellow Chartreuse (has the RI state liquor label on it), FB, and 5 drops each of homemade clementine bitters and Fee's barrel-aged bitters. It's freaking great -- but for serious Fernet fans only, I think. Make that baby, put on "Dark Side of the Moon," and you've got a nice transition to sleepytime.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

1 part Thomas Handy

1 part Fernet Branca

Dash orange bitters

A damn fine cocktail indeed, if I do say. A perfect end to the evening.

I'm generally *not* a big Fernet fan, and I actually quite enjoyed this. Given the insane alcohol content of the Handy and the VEP (125 and 110 proof respectively), I think the overall body of this drink does a lot to tame the Fernet.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

• 4 weeks later...

Inspired by Erik's revisiting the Porteño, I made it according to the original formula:

Gary Regan wrote a column which featured Murray Stenson's Porteño:

Drink a Porteño and soon you'll be humming about Argentina

Ingredients:

3/4 oz Bourbon

1/2 oz Fernet Branca

1/2 oz Cherry Brandy

1/2 oz Fresh Lime

1/2 oz Falernum (or simple syrup)

It's freaking fantastic. Truly. Make it now, Fernet fans.

• Like 1

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

• 2 months later...

I had a great night at the Eastern Standard bar with BittermensAG (y JG!) Monday night while Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli made fantastic drinks, including the one that Avery mentioned above:

1 part Thomas Handy

1 part Fernet Branca

Dash orange bitters

Tom said the name of the cocktail is Goodnight, Chris, and who am I to argue with that?

Tom also made a terrific Toronto Cocktail at night's end. Ok, he said goodnight to me twice. Sue me.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

I had a great night at the Eastern Standard bar with BittermensAG (y JG!) Monday night while Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli made fantastic drinks, including the one that Avery mentioned above:
  1 part Thomas Handy

1 part Fernet Branca

Dash orange bitters

Tom said the name of the cocktail is Goodnight, Chris, and who am I to argue with that?

Tom also made a terrific Toronto Cocktail at night's end. Ok, he said goodnight to me twice. Sue me.

i had something avery inspired like that tonight at no. 9 after work...

it was like a toronto but with batavia arrack in a snifter with burnt absinthe and VEP green chartreuse... it was pretty cool and smelled gorgeous, but i just can't drink things that sweet...

i was really into the...

2 oz. cynar

1 oz. lemon juice

.5 oz. simple syrup

egg white.

low alcohol but delicious... hopefully i got the proportions correct... i will make this again...

bostonapothecary.com