• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canneles

foodie3

i bake bread on a regular basis and will gladly post some pictures and share ideas.

i am trying my hand at canneles and this is my latest, baked in nordicware rosette pan. the recipe is from michel roux's book finest desserts, but i intent to try others as well.i7491.jpg

The look fantastic, by the way. What is that pan called?

I have had my eyes on those new line of pans ..... but still not enough savings to 'import' any yet. :wink:

It's called Mini Rose Bundt Pan. They also have 'sunflower' pans and others.

nordicware

Edited by kew (log)

very good idea!

i bake bread on a regular basis and will gladly post some pictures and share ideas.

i am trying my hand at canneles and this is my latest, baked in nordicware rosette pan. the recipe is from michel roux's book finest desserts, but i intent to try others as well.

very nice, foodie3. You might like to check out this extensive older thread on cannele if you haven't seen it already: Click. Lots of discussion of recipes and molds.

nightscotsman, i read the old thread on canneles a few times, thanks for all the info. i am planning on trying the choc version based on the recipe you posted;

what is your favorite recipe for canneles these days ?

Excellent foodie, I am anger and jealous too :biggrin: Now I want the pans too. As if I need more.

Count me in on the thread the more knowledge I have the better.

KIP Knowledge is Power!!! :laugh:

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

nightscotsman, i read the old thread on canneles a few times, thanks for all the info. i am planning on trying the choc version based on the recipe you posted;

what is your favorite recipe for canneles these days ?

I've actually had the best results with a recipe halfway between Paula Wolfert's and Nancy Silverton's. I like the crust and slight rise of Nancy's, but Paula's has a really creamy interior. So basically it's Nancy's recipe using a slightly smaller amount of cake flour instead of AP.

To get the creamy interior you simply need to mix the butter with the cake flour rather than with the milk.

The canneles in Bordeaux are blacker than the ones you made in the nordicware. I would bake them at a higher temperature so you can get that caramelized black crust which is traditional. Note the photo to the left.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Foodie3, those are beautiful.

I believe Roux's recipe uses beeswax to coat the moulds before baking. Did you have to do that?

I've seen some recipes that don't require that, and I've attempted a couple of them, but somehow I couldn't get the hard crust that I enjoy.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

lt

I personally think you have to use bee's wax if you are using copper or silicon to get a crusty exterior. I have tried baking the canneles in the nordic ware when I first started on my search but I baked t hem at 400 or 425 (I can't remember). Amazingly , I got a really nice black crust without the beeswax, but the shape wasn't traditional so I moved on to copper molds.

BTW:You can find bee's wax at farmer's markets wherever honey is sold.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

LT Wong, i only used butter.

this pan is made of heavy cast aluminum, its completely nonstick and my crust was (as our governor is so fond of saying) fantastic - very crisp and very brown. the top (which becomes the bottom) was getting a little chared after 1hr 20 mins and that is when i removed them from the oven. oh, and i placed the pan on a preheated baking stone.

Thanks for the tips - this website is great!

I've Roux's book, but have not attempted his recipe. I'm going to try Pascal Rigo's recipe one more time so that I wouldn't waste the copper moulds - they're costly!

I know what the family will be eating this weekend. :biggrin:

LT

Paula's recipe is now my recipe of choice as it came out just beautifully in the convection ovens at work, even in my silicon flex molds. I just may spring for the copper soon!

As for the beeswax mixture, it is really an integral part of the recipe, not just something with which to grease your molds. You'll never achieve the perfect, crisp/chewy/shiny crust without it. I didn't use it the first few times I baked canelés. Having now used it, I'll never not use it again! As Paula said, ask your friendly neighborhood farmers market honey person for some!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Foodie3, other than the cannele recipe, I've only tried Pascal's financier recipe. I found it quite good, but I've never eaten a financier before, so I don't really have a reference. But it was delicious, especially paired with ice cream.

But the other recipes look quite good. I was going to try the congolais, but it looks like I'll be attempting the cannele again. I stand a better chance this time round with all the tips that everyone has shared.

beans, you will like this pan.

its perfectly nonstick, i brush it with a light coat of butter (mainly for the taste), and it produces a wonderful crisp crust.

made n. silverton's canneles today in my rosette pan; after an hour and 20 mins at 400F it produced a superb crust and a rich soft interior - better results than with m. roux's recipe.