• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails With Champagne

slkinsey

If you love Campari and Americano's , then I hope you'll enjoy this:

ChamPino (for Pino, an Italian diplomat):

1 oz. Campari

1 oz. Sweet Vermouth

2 1/2 - 3 oz good quality Champagne

Garnish:  Lemon Twist

Glass:  chilled martini

Measure campari & sweet vermouth into a mixing glass.  Add ice,

shake (yes, shake) and strain into a chilled martini glass.  Top with

champagne.  Add lemon twist. 

Enjoy!

Audrey

This post, which appears here in this thread (it's delicious, by the way) got me thinking about cocktails that involve champagne as an ingredient but are not "champagne cocktails." This is to say, cocktails made with a mixture of liquors and then lightened with champagne rather than drinks that are fundamentally champagne with stuff added in (Bellinis, etc.). I've always enjoyed this style when I have had them away from home, but have never made one myself until trying the ChamPino.

So... any other recommendations? We've got a lot of leftover champagne bottles taking up space in the 'fridge.

--

Sam,

There's a cocktail called French 75 Cocktail, of which there must be a number of variations on the recipe, which is named for a gun used in World War I. One recipe is...

5 ounces chilled Champagne

1/4 ounce gin

1/4 ounce Cointreau

1/4 ounce lemon juice

Shake up everything but the Champagne in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Strain into a chilled Champagne flute whose rim has been dipped in sugar. Top with Champagne.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I'm so happy you enjoyed it! I've got another one for you---this one is very popular with our guests:

The Old Cuban (a champagne mojito)(Old=Anejo / Cuban=Origins)

3/4 oz. Fresh Lime Juice

1 oz. Simple syrup (1 to 1)

6-8 mint leaves

2 good dashes Angostura

1 1/2 oz. Bacardi 8 Year

2 - 3 oz. Good quality champagne

Garnish: mint flecks (you can also add a sugar-rolled vanilla bean for a more festive presentation)

Measure lime juice, simple syrup, and mint into a mixing glass. Muddle well.

Add bitters, rum, and ice. Shake well and strain into a chilled martini glass.

Top with champagne

I love mojitos, and wanted something that could stand up equally as well on New Years eve as well as throughout the summer. I used an aged rum because you lose the qualities of a white rum with the addition of champagne; it just tastes too thin. The aged rum still maintains a nice body when lengthened with the champagne, and the bitters add wonderful depth----i like them in my regular mojitos as well. I hope you enjoy!

Audrey

Sounds tasty! What are "mint flecks?" Are you talking about the little pieces of mint that break off during the muddling and make it past the strainer? Or is it something that is prepared separately?

As as aside, I often find the broken-up bits of mint distracting (in a "strain the drink through your teeth" kind of way) when I make regular mojitos.

--

Sam,

There's a cocktail called French 75 Cocktail, of which there must be a number of variations on the recipe, which is named for a gun used in World War I. One recipe is...

1/4 ounce gin

1/4 ounce Cointreau

1/4 ounce lemon juice

Shake up everything but the Champagne in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Strain into a chilled Champagne flute whose rim has been dipped in sugar. Top with Champagne.

Fascinating. The Patina Group of restaurants makes what they call a French 75 but use cognac instead of gin. Instead of a flute, they serve it in a martini glass, also dipped in sugar.

I always loved it...

Raspberry Champagne Cocktail

1 ounce Stolichnaya Razberi

1/2 ounce Cointreau

Chambord

Brut Champagne

Combine in an ice filled shaker; shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Fill near to rim with Brut champagne/sparkling wine; sink a few drops of Chambord along the side of the cocktail glass by very slowly dribbling liqueur (will go to the bottom if done correctly) and serve with skewered raspberries.

eGCI Evolving Cocktails

A twist would be a nice addition as well. The brut balances out the sweetness. I was in a berry mood when I thought up that recipe. Kinda like a dessert, one serving is fine.

This little book is an excellent resource on Champagne cocktails. It provided some inspiration. :smile:

edit: :blush: That really should read as "Combine the Stoli and Cointreau in an ice filled shaker...." How with all of that editing did boo boos leak out? :blink:

Edited by beans (log)

The Russian Spring Punch is one that uses champagne as a final fizz.

Here are two of my sparkling jobs.

Melbellini

glass: flute

1 shot fresh white peach purée

1 spoon fresh raspberry purée

1 spoon creme de framboise

top up with prosecco

Add first three ingredients to glass and stir, then top up with prosecco. Bellinis are great, and so is peach melba. How hard could it be to reach this combination? Be ready to adjust for sweetness/acidity according to how ripe your fruit is.

Solano

glass: flute

1 spoon creme de cassis

1½ shots grapefruit juice

top up with prosecco / sparkling wine

Add first two ingredients to glass and stir, then top up with prosecco. Another blackcurrant and grapefruit combo, this makes a great aperitif.

Sam,

There's a cocktail called French 75 Cocktail, of which there must be a number of variations on the recipe, which is named for a gun used in World War I.  One recipe is...

1/4 ounce gin

1/4 ounce Cointreau

1/4 ounce lemon juice

Shake up everything but the Champagne in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.  Strain into a chilled Champagne flute whose rim has been dipped in sugar.  Top with Champagne.

Fascinating. The Patina Group of restaurants makes what they call a French 75 but use cognac instead of gin. Instead of a flute, they serve it in a martini glass, also dipped in sugar.

I always loved it...

Good discussion on this in the "French" cocktails thread.

cheers

Edited by tsquare (log)

The Old Cuban (a champagne mojito)(Old=Anejo / Cuban=Origins)

3/4 oz. Fresh Lime Juice

1 oz. Simple syrup (1 to 1)

6-8 mint leaves

2 good dashes Angostura

1 1/2 oz. Bacardi 8 Year

2 - 3 oz. Good quality champagne

Garnish: mint flecks (you can also add a sugar-rolled vanilla bean for a more festive presentation)

Measure lime juice, simple syrup, and mint into a mixing glass. Muddle well.

Add bitters, rum, and ice. Shake well and strain into a chilled martini glass.

Top with champagne

Made this one last PM, and it was well recieved by all. Nice drink.

--

Much like Audrey's champagne riff on a Mojito, you could try a champagne riff on a Sazerac, which consists of rye (or sometimes bourbon) with Peychaud's bitters, a dash of absinthe-substitute (e.g., Pernod, Ricard, etc.) and a lemon twist.

Does it get more classic New Orleans than the Sazerac?

--

• 1 month later...

Eat-A-Peach from Manhattan's Mocca @ the corner of Church and Reade

I believe the recipe is this:

Zygo Energy Vodka

Peach Puree

Fresh Lime Juice

Simple Syrup

Shaken and strained into a martini glass

with a champagne float

garnished with an orange wheel

www.energyvodka.com

Not sure if this counts as a cocktail, but I had one at Franny's last night and god DAMN it was good. It was prosecco with lovage-infused sugar syrup, garnished with lime. :wub:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

• 3 weeks later...

I tried a refreshing Champagne cocktail in London. Here's the simple recipe:

1 oz vodka

two slices fresh ginger

Shake in iced shaker

Pour into a flute and top up with Lanson Brut.

Tasty!

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 3 weeks later...

Just discovered this thread... great ideas.

This past week when dining out my drink before dinner was a Primodonna (I was at Primo restaurant in Orlando :wink: ). It was simply Prosecco and passion fruit juice. However they did it, they did it just right. I'll have to do lots of experimentation at home for just the right proportions and just the right Prosecco.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I'll have to do lots of experimentation at home for just the right proportions and just the right Prosecco.

susan, if you can find it you might like to work with bel casel or zardetto.

thank you all for the good ideas. lately i've been drinking equal portions of a brut and french limonade. very refreshing but i see i am going to have to do some experimenting.... :blink:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 1 year later...

article from the Washington Post

At both IndeBleu and Topaz in Washington, the favored color for champagne cocktails is blue. IndeBleu bartender Tim Stover combines champagne with a splash of Blue Curacao and Grand Marnier to create the Bleu Sky. At Topaz, the signature Blue Nirvana cocktail has a citrus twist, thanks to flavored vodka and sour mix.  Degrees bar in Georgetown goes the red route with some cranberry juice and a whiff of Grand Marnier. At Zengo in Chinatown, the margarita gets turned on its head with some raspberry puree and a float of champagne. And at Poste Moderne Brasserie in the Penn Quarter, bartender Gina Chersevani keeps her guests healthy with champagne mixed with blueberry pomegranate juice.
Lots of cool recipes in this article ...

photo gallery of these colorful cocktails .. click on the right for a panoply of cool options ... I like the Poinsettia Fizz .... :wink:

Actually, they all sound delightful! What do you add to your champagne to make it even more festive?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What do you add to your champagne to make it even more festive?

A slug of rye, a splash of maraschino, a splash of simple syrup and a couple of dashes of Angostura bitters. Not very colorful, I suppose, but pretty durn tasty.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Lately I've been enjoying prosecco with a splash of amaro and a touch of sugar, and a slice of orange when the mood strikes (I use lime if it is made with campari). It is quite a nice drink to enjoy year round, particularly in the summer, though I did just have a few this past Christmas Eve.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."