• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Katz & Bestoff ?

AuntieEm

I'm visiting my 90 year old father, and he mentioned an old ice cream flavor from N.O. 's Katz and Bestoff........called it nectar and cream. The ice-cream might have been nectar and a soda made from it called nectar & cream... Any help with a flavor or a substitute?? He doubts that I can find anything related to Katz & Bestoff, much less a food related response, but then he doesn't believe in the internet either............Thanks for any help! Anne

I hope that some of this helps. It's questions like this that make the internet the amazing thing that it is. The last place in New Orleans after K and B closed down all of it's many purple doors and sold out to Rite Aid was Schweickharts Drugs on Carrollton Avenue near the uptown streetcar barn. The Schweickhardt's held out until the last one retired and now they too are just a humid memory on the streetcar line.

Nectar, as best I can describe it, is a red syrup (hence the name nectar) that taste like wedding cake (almond and vanilla, primarily) and there is a company that has begun making it after a several year absence. I can't find it on the web and it is Saturday night. but I will be on the job and get back to you Monday. I should be able to get you an address to order. I believe that they are calling themselves the New Orleans Nectar Company,, but I could be wrong.

Regards,

brooks

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

You can also check manufacturers of syrups for what is known as sno-balls, sno-cones, shaved ice, Hawaiian ice or other variations on that theme. (I realize there is a difference betwixt them all, but for the sake of the syrups, it's basically the same stuff)

Also check here for a description, even though the writer of that page diputes my claim that it would be the same thing. But similar may be as close as you can get.

This guy has a home snoball/shaved ice kit, and he claims to have a nectar flavor, along with the all important grape. I make no representations of the authenticity of this option. But the hand plane for shaving the ice is kind of cool.

Also, A purported recipe from an unknown person. But nectar syrup II recipe looks legit.

And I believe This may be the link that Brooks was looking for.

Whew. I need a sno-ball now. Or a shot of K&B gin. That was scary stuff...

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Or a shot of K&B gin.

Not as scary as KB Scotch. That stuff good for drinking and stripping paint out of hard to reach cracks in furniture (it was also handy for reaching hard to reach cracks in the sidewalk with your face :hmmm::laugh: )

Hey,

How do you make those links to a website? I see a few words in red, and it's a link. FistFullaRoux just had a few in his last post.

Someone tell me how to do that.

FWIW.......I know that stuff is sold in small bottles at Dorignac's, and I think Sav-a-Center. Look around athe ice cream paraphenalia like cones, dips, sauces. If someone finds it in another section, you may correct me!

You gonna eat that?

Copy the link you want to add to a post from the header in the link's website

Click on the grey box above labeled "http://"

Paste the link (starting with www.) in the first pop up

Title it in the second

Hey, Hey-you too are posting handy links for the enjoyment and amazement of others! :wink::laugh:

Nothing to it.

As a kid, we would ride our bikes to the snowball stand and order the nectar flavor with cream(canned condensed milk) on top. At the time it was a very New Orleans thing to do.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

As a kid, we would ride our bikes to the snowball stand and order the nectar flavor with cream(canned condensed milk) on top. At the time it was a very New Orleans thing to do.

And it still is. I had one this afternoon exactly like that.

Auntie Em-did you ever order any nectar?

Sorry to be so lax in responding, just got home from my visit and read all your great responses.....my father bet me that I'd never be able to find out anything about the nectar cream, but I put my money on all of you!!! Thanks for the info, I'm going to see if I can't get some nectar syrup for my father's B-day next month....what a suprise that will be! I hope it lives up to his memories! Thanks again, you guys are great!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Also, Plum St. Snowballs has a flavor called Nectar Cream (it was at the JazzFest, that's why I remember now). I'm sure your father would enjoy the snowball as well as the ice cream!

Plum Street Snowball

1300 Burdette St

New Orleans, LA 70118-4018

Phone:(504)866-7996

• 4 months later...

Nectar Update-

The Picayune had several fine articles and listings by local James Beard winning writer Pableaux Johnson concerning nectar. You can find them in the latest update of the Louisiana Media Digest.

Not as scary as KB Scotch. That stuff good for drinking and stripping paint out of hard to reach cracks in furniture (it was also handy for reaching hard to reach cracks in the sidewalk with your face :hmmm:  :laugh: )

Just found this thread. AAAAHHH! Memories.

Yeah... and the nectar snowballs, too. :wink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose