• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If It Were Your Last Meal on Earth

Much as I love posh food. I wouldn't feel comfortable about meeting my makers with my tripes galvanized by the culinary vanguard.

For me it would have to be the British soul food:

Roast rib of Angus, deep pink and well, well hung (like Shiva).

My Gran's dear departed Yorkshires.

Roast potatoes & parsnips, crispy mind.

Brussels sprouts (I'm going to hell, so who cares about wind).

Elsenham's horseradish.

And a lot of gravy made from the rest of the steer.

To finish perhaps an apple crumble, with a good egg custard (also know as creme Anglaise [Plitonki are reading this?])

If my goalers permitted it I'd wash the whole lot down with two or three botts of Absinthe.

Much as I love posh food. I wouldn't feel comfortable about meeting my makers with my tripes galvanized by the culinary vanguard.

If my goalers permitted it I'd wash the whole lot down with two or three botts of Absinthe.

What is posh food ?  As in Port-off-starboard-home food ?

three botts of Absinthe  :shock:  :shock: and you want to do this at dawn  :shock:

anil

• 5 months later...

Oh, this is really easy!

Yuke (not sure of the exact romanization) a korean dish of raw beef with a sesame oil and soy marinade, topped with a raw egg

and

Raw oysters with grated daikon and a kind of ponzu sauce

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Since the daturatoxin of fugu is identical to that used in the creation of zombies I think this approaches execution in bad faith.

Of course should you choose to exist as a revenant....

But I refer you to the current avatar of one Jason Perlow.

Wilma squawks no more

• 2 weeks later...

An article in today's NYTimes describes the last meal of a 5,300 year old preserved human (he was found in a glacier in the Alps). Sounds quite good. This chap (before he died of arrow wounds) had red deer, preceded by ibex, grains and plants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/17/science/17OBSE.html

But back to last meals in jail.

Has to be a white mealy pudding, deep fried with chips. Has to be warm though. If they brought it to my cell cold or tepid, I'd scream. What a death sentence.

Edit: I meant to add that I wouldn'd order posh food for my last meal either. Does this have serious implications? (In terms of posh food's importance, overall. Ho.)

A nice slab of rare prime rib sounds lovely, but are you sure you don't mean your dear departed Gran's Yorkshire's? After all, how long has she been gone? Surely long enough for the Yorkshires to lose their appeal, no? Even if it was only yesterday. :smile:

Beyond that, except for a few bottle of good Burgundy, who cares? After all, veg and salads assume next-day excretion, and would that matter? NAAH.

I suspect my appetite would be spoilt, but I would try to force down a few oysters, a slice of pate with a fresh baguette, some boudin noir with fried apples, perhaps some grilled sole, a roast grouse, pommes allumettes, a nice offal entree - probably tripe - followed by cheddar, stilton and a piece of raw milk camembert. Burgundies, of course, and a bottle of Calvados to follow. I suppose it's a bit posh.