• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold summer soups (sweet or savory)

jackal10

Now the weather has turned hot, what are your favourites to start a summer supper?

Any exciting ways to serve, such as with a contrasting sorbet or savoury icecream?

My all time favourite is clear iced borscht, frozen sour cream.

Others are

Vichysoisse

Gazpacho (and variants)

Cucumber

Schav (sorrel)

Lettuce

Tomato

Jellied consomme

Fruit soups: cherry, strawberry, berry

someone once made me a melon soup that was wonderful.

And a pepper soup made with creme fraiche at Upstairs at the pudding in Harvard Square.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

chilled peach and buttermilk soup. (try this with white peaches, its great)

champagne and kumquat soup. (sometimes serve this with a scoop of kumquat sorbet)

strawberry fruit soup (when I make this, I like to serve a quenelle of sour cream or creme fraiche, although lately I've been thinking of doing a quenelle of panna cotta, not sure if that will work)

Soba

I love cold soups.

gazpacho (and it many varities)

cold vegetable soups (tomato, potato, spinach, carrot, pea, etc)

pretty much anything can be served cold!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Oh I LOVE these!

Watermelon Soup (with a nice hot pepper bite to it)

Berry Soup in Saffron Broth

Champagne Infused Blackberry Soup with Sour Cream Sorbet

Chilled Coconut Lemongrass Soup with Warm Pineapple Dumpling

Melon Soup with Red Wine Granita

Roasted Peach Soup with Peach Sorbet and Butter Cookies (an Emeril recipe)

Chilled Bing Cherry Soup

Of course, I love gazpacho. I've had a few nice chilled dilled cucumber soup and a tomato basil too.

YUM :wub:

All wonderful.

Also Oinaeng-guk (Korean Chilled Cucumber Soup).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

How 'bout posting some of these lovely cool summery soup recipes into the Recipe Archive, hmmmm? I, for one, would be happy to start stealing these ideas for my own eating pleasure. They all sound delicious!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'll have to go with a very basic chilled tomato soup (see recipe below). It may be simple but it is very refreshing on a hot day.

2 ½ pounds ripe tomatoes, quartered (preferably a ripe full-flavored tomato like the oval plum)

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 onion

1 carrot

2 garlic cloves

5 sprigs of fresh thyme

5 sprigs of fresh marjoram

1 bay leaf

3 tablespoons of crème fraiche

Salt and pepper

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Chop and add the carrot and onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they begin to turn soft. Add the tomatoes, chopped garlic and herbs. Lower heat and simmer for about half-an-hour. Discard the bay leaf, strain the soups and stir in the crème fraiche. Cool and put in refrigerator to chill. Pour in the bowl of your choice, stroll into back yard to lawn chair or hammock (Careful! Hammocks can be messy!) and enjoy.

Red Pepper Soup. Made it last weekend from Peterson's Soup book (pretty much).

Six large bell peppers, a bunch of pasilla chilies, roasted and ground into a paste, a big handful of garlic, heavy cream, sour cream, broth, vinegar... pureed and strained and chilled.

My God.

Red Pepper Soup.  Made it last weekend from Peterson's Soup book (pretty much).

Six large bell peppers, a bunch of pasilla chilies, roasted and ground into a paste,  a big handful of garlic, heavy  cream, sour cream, broth, vinegar... pureed and strained and chilled.

My God.

That soup is truly awesome. I make it, and variants thereof, on a regular basis in hot weather. Try creme fraiche instead of sour cream next time, mcdowell. Nice.

how about heirloom tomato gazpacho with a shot of pepper vodka, sour cream, and cilantro?

we made a cool spring pea w. mint served in a champagne glass w. a pea shoot garnish

does anyone have a good recipe for white gazpacho?

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I, too, love cold summer soups. In fact, they are my very favorite starter during the hot months.

They are the perfect thing to take to picnics. You can keep them nice and icy cold in a thermos, and then pour into those cute little plastic cups at the picnic site. Easy and good and so refreshing.

Years ago, I had a recipe for cold cherry soup that was excellent, and really easy. You started by pouring a can of cherry pie filling into the blender, and added other stuff - one of which was orange juice. Then you served it in a cantaloupe half with a dollop of sour cream on top.

I've lost that recipe, and do now make cold cherry soup from scratch, but would love to have that "quicky" one back again. I've come up with some things, but it just doesn't seem to taste as good as when I had that recipe.

Does anybody have a good, quick recipe for cold cherry soup???

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 11 months later...

The warm weather has ignited my desire to eat lots of chilled soup! In the past I've made Russian beet borscht and gaspacho (though I seem to have lost the recipe). I'd like to experiment with other savoury soups that are: 1. fairly quick to make, and 2. don't include cream (or that aren't very high fat).

I know that fresh garden peas are often used in chilled soups, but beyond that my knowledge of ingredients falls away.

Your good ideas are much needed. :smile:

Very lovely article on chilled soups

and while they save on caloric intake, I make gazpacho with this in mind, in my heart of hearts I still cherish vichyssoise .... :rolleyes:

Daily Soup's wintertime menu is full of bisques, chowders and hearty stews, warm weather brings chilled options such as "Borscht," "Avocado With Shrimp," "Gazpacho With Grilled Chicken," and "Crawfish-and-Scallop Ceviche."
cold soups: They're a treat appealing mainly to more adventurous eaters. Epicurean thrill seekers will adore the unexpected combination of almond, grape and garlic in an icy bowl of white gazpacho from Malaga, Spain. Comfort-minded customers, on the other hand, should probably stick with split-pea or chicken-noodle soup

On an equally ethereal note, yet quite practical, click for recipes :biggrin:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Very lovely article on chilled soups

and while they save on caloric intake, I make gazpacho with this in mind, in my heart of hearts I still cherish vichyssoise .... :rolleyes:

Daily Soup's wintertime menu is full of bisques, chowders and hearty stews, warm weather brings chilled options such as "Borscht," "Avocado With Shrimp," "Gazpacho With Grilled Chicken," and "Crawfish-and-Scallop Ceviche."
cold soups: They're a treat appealing mainly to more adventurous eaters. Epicurean thrill seekers will adore the unexpected combination of almond, grape and garlic in an icy bowl of white gazpacho from Malaga, Spain. Comfort-minded customers, on the other hand, should probably stick with split-pea or chicken-noodle soup

On an equally ethereal note, yet quite practical, click for recipes :biggrin:

...And speaking of ethereal - white asparagus, morel and foie gras soup - oh my GOD!

A friend recently brought some chilled soup for our Memorial Day get together. It consisted of frozen strawberries pureed with fresh raspberries as the base, a kiwi lime sauce to drizzle on and some small chunks of cantaloupe as a garnish. In the interest fo minimizing caloric intake, she used Splenda as the sweetener for the base soup and used lime flavored seltzer to thin the kiwi for the sauce. If it had been sweetened to a greater extent it could have served as a good dessert soup but we had it on the tart and tangy side - very refreshing and good as the starter course.

chilled asparagus soup is awesome.

It is one of duties at one of the restaurants I work at... so here is what I do.

Sweat some shallots.

chop asparagus into pieces that are a couple of inches long.

put together with shallots in a big pot.

cover 2/3rds with cream and finish covering them with water.

cook til simmering, but do not boil...you want tender asparagus.

remove the cream and reserve.

puree the asparagus by adding cream until it reaches your desired consistency.

season to taste and chill, but keep the left over cream because it may get thicker than you want while cooling.

enjoy....

you can garnish it with mint chiffonade and pistachio oil, that's nice.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

I learned this from Kelsie Kerr, who currently cooks at Chez Panisse, when she was teaching classes in the SF Bay Area.

You must have absolutely ripe, delicious tomatoes to do it.

Concasse ripe yellow tomatoes and ripe red tomatoes - keep them separate all the way through every step of the recipe.

Puree in a blender until smooth.

Season to taste with salt, white pepper and a little EVOO.

Chill. Or serve at room temp.

Serve by pouring both into a bowl at the same time so that you end up with 1/2 of the bowl red and 1/2 yellow. I confess that I do this in a bowl that is small enough that I can use my flexible dough scraper as a divider.

You can garnish with a little drizzle of oil, or some croutons or snipped chives or an edible flower.....you get the idea.

If you don't mind rustic you can skip the concasse part, or you can puree and then strain if it works better for you that way.

This gives you remarkable bang for the buck. It's certainly reasonable, calorie-wise. And when tomatoes are in season - yummy, yummy!

Stephanie Kay