• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for new places in the city – medium budget

eternal

I head to NYC on a regular basis - about once a month. I've been pretty busy on my most recent trips so I've fallen into eating at the same places namely

John Dory Oyster Bar

Breslin (staying at the ACE)

Momofuku ssam

Casa mono

BLT Prime

Oh Taisho

Union Square Grill

Pulinos

Tomorrow, the lady is coming with and we're taking an extra day so I'm looking for some new places to try that won't break the budget. I'm thinking:

Totto Ramen

Xian Famous Foods

Both places I've been to before and love. Any other thoughts of where to try out? Location isn't that important. I don't want to break the bank and I'm not particularly interested in multi-course tasting menus. I like casual but don't worry, i'm willing to spend more than 7-10 dollars on dinner :)

I recently stopped by Gramercy Tavern and had a meal at the bar, but I think the seating area is a little too formal and the line can be brutal.

Would love to hear some ideas. Thanks!

> John Dory Oyster Bar

Try Pearl Oyster Bar.

> Breslin (staying at the ACE)

Spotted Pig (no reservations), Prune (reservations via phone), Fatty Cue (OpenTable).

> Momofuku ssam

Try Ma Peche (momofuku.com for reservations).

> Casa mono

Tertulia? May be a bit crowded still.

> BLT Prime

Minetta Tavern? They're on OpenTable now, or you can try to go early/late and eat at the bar.

> Oh Taisho

Yakitori Totto. Takashi (Japanese BBQ/yakinku, get there early due to long lines)?

> Union Square Grill

I think you meant Union Square Cafe? Maybe Maialino? Craft? ABC Kitchen? All 3 serve at the bar if you can't get a reservation.

> Pulinos

Motorino?

> Totto Ramen

Rockmeisha or Ippudo?

For Chinese, Sichuan at Legend, Cafe China, or Szechuan Gourmet. Sheng jian bao or soup dumplings at 456 Shanghai Cuisine or Shanghai Cafe. Roast meats at Great NY Noodletown. Cantonese seafood at South China Garden. Claypot rice and wontons at Noodle Village. Dim sum at Dim Sum Go Go or Red Egg.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I've eaten at about half of the ones you mentioned and they are all good. Thanks for the others - ABC and Pearl are good ideas. I was also thinking about Degustation.

Your recommendation of 456 Shanghai is interesting. We've always gone to Joe's. Are they as good? Are they better?

Thanks for all your recommendations.

Degustation has lost Chef Genovart to Vermont, just so you know.

456's soup dumplings are good but on the smaller side, and more delicate/less greasy, with thin skin. If you seek soup dumplings with a thicker, chewy skin, that are fattier/greasier, you'll be disappointed at 456 (as you may know, thick skins and greasy broth are usually considered bad in Asia).

456 does amazing sheng jian bao though. The soup dumplings are good, but I think Red Farm's are better -- extremely thin skin, light and delicate filling, very flavorful and not greasy soup. But Red Farm's soup dumplings are much more expensive.

See also The Best Soup Dumplings in Chinatown.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure