• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Pizza Bianca in New York City

weinoo

We recently got to explore a few of the hundreds (thousands?) of pizza places in Rome. In my mind, Roman style pizza basically comes in two forms...thin and kind of crisp or pizza bianca, which might be a little bit closer to what we know as focaccia, but generally thinner than what most of us typically call focaccia.

Over in the topic where I wrote about the pizza we tried in Rome, the question was posed about where in NYC can one find the type of sandwich pictured here...

2011_11_21 Roscioli .jpg

Sullivan Street Bakery (or whatever iteration it's in now) had always been my favorite for Roman-style pizza bianca, with their various pizze topped with any number of different, delicious goodies as well as sold plain.

And I think I've seen, but haven't purchased, pizza bianca at Eataly.

Which makes me think that the best pizza bianca sandwich to be had here in the city would be a home made one, with purchased Sullivan St. Bakery bread and a high-quality mortadella from, say, Eataly.

Any other options?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

No answer to your question...but I have a (not so minor) pizza bianca (and rosso) obsession, and I've had pretty good luck making my own using Lahey's p.b. recipe. The dough is almost liquid, and it requires a loooooong fermentation (though making it from scratch is still faster than flying to FCO). Check out the recipe for yourself---I wasn't a believer at first, as the recipe calls for a little sugar, but it baked up pretty damn close to the real thing.

I would have said Sullivan! Glad to hear it's still good. :)

We make the sandwiches at home too. fill with all kinds of things, but nothing beats mortadella. :) although I also like bitter greens and cheese or sausage a lot too.

Grand Daisy makes awesome PB, but I don't know if they make panini with theirs. I'm usually too busy scarfing down their cauliflower pizza to notice.

Sam - I've had that and it's delicious (the PB that is). Is it the operation the Jim Lahey opened after Sullivan St. Bakery?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Grand Daisy makes awesome PB, but I don't know if they make panini with theirs. I'm usually too busy scarfing down their cauliflower pizza to notice.

Sam - I've had that and it's delicious (the PB that is). Is it the operation the Jim Lahey opened after Sullivan St. Bakery?

No, I think it's the opposite. Jim Lahey and Monica Von Thun Calderon were the original partners in Sullivan Street Bakery. They split their partnership.

Calderon kept the Sullivan Street location which she renamed Grandaisy, and opened branches.

Lahey kept the Sullivan Street Bakery name and the 47th Street location.

--