• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smallest full-service restaurants in NYC?

WK2

On Saturday night my wife and I dined (by accident) at Grocery, a tiny restaurant on Smith Street in Brooklyn. The whole place can't have been more than a few hundred square feet - since then, we've been joking that we apparently could run a restaurant out of our living room - and yet the food (as I'm sure others know) is ambitious and well executed. The experience reminded us a little of dining at a small sole proprietor kind of place in Paris.

Anyway, it raises the question to me - what are other similarly microscopic restaurants that nonetheless are ambitious? I'd love to hear favorites.

Momofuku Ko is 12 seats.

Prune only seats 30 according to their site, and I believe that is counting the large private dining area in the basement.

Here's a list of tiny restaurants from the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/lifestyle/food/squeezed_mKQ1XvB3GLhvfPjJnSzllN

I don't think anything on that list is as ambitious as what you're thinking of, though.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Thanks for the list, which I had never seen.

Prune,yes - that's the kind of thing I was thinking of. For whatever reason, Ko seems different to me. Maybe because it is a branch of a larger empire.

Grafitti on East 10th is pretty tiny; what you see in the photo on their site is the extent to their space. They squeeze some more people in with table-sharing for small parties and by keeping customer's coats in the basement during the colder months.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Westville on West 10th is tiny with maybe 20 something seats. and i feel like I've been to a restaurant in the East Village that's named 16 seats.

I was in a restaurant last week on Avenue B named "26 seats." Unfortunately, they had a few open ones for us.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

From the list that NY Post has:

Graffiti

224 E. 10th St.; 212-464-7743

Size: 410 square feet

Seating: 4 tables, 28 diners

Nook

746 Ninth Ave.; 212-247-5500

Size: 350 square feet

Seating: 10 tables, 24 diners

Caracas Arepa Bar

93½ E. Seventh St.; 212-529-2314

Size: 700 square feet, including kitchen and bathroom