• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Park Ave. and 65th moderately priced

Mano

I know the Upper E side is expensive but I'm looking for a good restaurant with +/- $25 entree's within a mile of 65th of the east side.

Open to any cuisine.

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

A radius of a mile takes in a massive swathe of midtown and uptown Manhattan - 20 short blocks = 1 mile. And 5 long blocks = 1 mile. Still, as you point out, one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city.

So in that radius, off the top of my head:

J.G. Melon - Excellent burgers & fries in a preppy pub environment - E. 74 and Third Ave.

Katsu-Hama - Japanese grill - Berkshire pork cutlets, pumpkin, cabbage, burdock salad - E. 47 between Fifth and Madison

Viand - Classic NYC Greek coffee shop, tiny, orders executed uberfast & with precision, look for Bill Weld lunching there - E. 61 and Madison

Lusardi's - Excellent northern Italian, pushing the upper range of your price, pastas are $22-24, rabbit is $25 - a real sleeper of a restaurant, E. 78 and Second Ave.

If you can stretch another quarter-mile south, there are two superb Sichuan restaurants on W. 39 between Fifth and Sixth:

Szechuan Gourmet - 21 W. 39

Lan Sheng Restaurant - 60 W. 39

Obviously if you go there, make sure to order only from the Sichuan sections of the menu. They feel compelled to offer the full range of American Chinese dishes that tourists want to order.

Hope these ideas help!

I know the Upper E side is expensive but I'm looking for a good restaurant with +/- $25 entree's within a mile of 65th of the east side.

Open to any cuisine.

With that mile radius, there are a number of good places you can go to, especially if you like Japanese food. I'd suggest Aburiya Kinnosuke, Tsukushi, Sakagura or Soba Totto, although most of them aren't traditional app/entree kind of places. Your total bill should be in the same range as the kind of place you suggested. Also, Pampano is pretty good on a good day (Modern Mexican, with a seafood focus). For really cheap, Cascabel Taqueria is pretty decent. If you're into Indian, Tulsi is good, and Dawat wasn't bad last time I checked.

• 2 weeks later...