• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The state of Thai in NYC in 2011

Fat Guy

It seems to me that the overall quality of Thai food in New York City has been increasing. Just a few years ago I though most neighborhood-level places were terrible and you could only get decent Thai food at a few destination places. Now I feel like many neighborhood places are doing good food.

I've posted before about how I think Sookk, on the Upper West Side, does a great job. There are other places on the UWS that I think are quite good: Thai Market and Land chief among them. I just ate at Sea Thai in Williamsburg and thought it was terrific -- and I feel the same about its sister restaurant, Peep, in SoHo.

What are some of your neighborhood favorites, and do you agree or disagree that NYC Thai has been improving steadily?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Pretty sure Zabb Elee is owned by the same people as Sea and Peep. When we were at Sea there was a sign up, visit our other restaurants...

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Yes, and Zabb has the same sort of sign up in their foyer. The big difference is that Zabb Elee's chef is formerly of Poodam's.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Has anyone eaten at Ayada in Queens? New York magazine calls it "the city's best Thai restaurant."

How about Ploy Thai, also in Elmhurst?

This article has lots of potential revelations in it.

http://nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/2011/queens/top-twenty/index1.html

Yes to Ayada. Quite excellent.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Pretty sure Zabb Elee is owned by the same people as Sea and Peep. When we were at Sea there was a sign up, visit our other restaurants...

Just tried Zabb Elee on Monday, and was very pleasantly surprised. Nothing at all like Sea and Peep in style, even if the ownership overlaps. Flavors and levels of spice were very authentic, and the overall flavor palette was more in line with real Thai food and not the sweet American style or Chinese-ified Thai we often get. Good versions of larb, papaya salad, omelettes and a few pork dishes. It's definitely northern (Issan) style, though, so no point in looking for curries, pad thai, etc. Those looking for a Thai fix without leaving Manhattan should definitely give it a try!

Just tried Zabb Elee on Monday, and was very pleasantly surprised. Nothing at all like Sea and Peep in style, even if the ownership overlaps. Flavors and levels of spice were very authentic, and the overall flavor palette was more in line with real Thai food and not the sweet American style or Chinese-ified Thai we often get. Good versions of larb, papaya salad, omelettes and a few pork dishes. It's definitely northern (Issan) style, though, so no point in looking for curries, pad thai, etc. Those looking for a Thai fix without leaving Manhattan should definitely give it a try!

I've only been to the one in Queens, but that was my reaction as well: the salads and larb were especially satisfying, and at a pretty serious level of (balanced) spiciness. We got that after having a discussion with the server and insisting that we wanted everything at an appropriate level of heat, something vaguely like "authentic." We were told that what we got was actually "medium" spicy, which was at least as hot as I've ever gotten in an American Thai restaurant. It wasn't just handfulls of peppers for the sake of heat, obliterating all the other components, the flavors were very vibrant and clear across the spectrum. The pronounced sourness in a few dishes was as notable as the Scoville rating.

I'm sure that what we got would have been too hot for many of my friends, but it's nice to know that the restaurant will go to that level of spice if asked. I hope the Manhattan branch will do the same.

ZaabElee-CatfishLarb.jpg

Catfish Larb

ZaabElee-SausageClearSalad.jpg

Sour Sausage "Clear Salad"

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From the NYT today:

JOEY PHADUNGSIL, who cooked at the original Rhong-Tiam, is now the chef at Sura Thai Urban Kitchen, 2656 Broadway (100th Street).

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure