• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plating Cookies

Does anybody out there have any good ideas on how to plate cookies? I'm hoping to improve the photos on my website, and since I already plate cakes and whatnot it would be nice to be able to do this with the cookies as well. I sell traditional-style Western Canadian soft oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies, which are an unheard-of product in Ecuador, where the British definition of Biscuits rules.

Trouble is, I'm fresh out of ideas.... Help please?

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I really like the stacking idea, as well as the in-hand thing (although I'd have to find somebody with nice hands - mine are all scarred and yuggly.)

If needs be, I'll go out and buy a nice plate for the cookies - what I have are traditional Ecuadorian stoneware with brightly coloured glazes from Cuenca, which are a far cry from the stark white generally preferred for setting up plates. I find them almost too busy for the cookies, although they set off my cakes rather nicely.

I would recommend looking at Martha Stewart's annual cookie magazines. There are three of them and you can get them on eBay. She does a nice job photographing them.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I really like the stacking idea, as well as the in-hand thing (although I'd have to find somebody with nice hands - mine are all scarred and yuggly.)

I recommend finding a child: they're often :wink: willing to work for peanuts cookies!

Ha! I'm sure that Javier across the street would be thrilled at the idea..... Off I go!

You're looking to photograph the cookies to sell on your web site? Then I'd show them freshly decorated with bits of chips and a fresh egg in the background. Or, probably a better idea is to show them how beautiful they are in the packaging they'll come in....do both and you're covered for quality and beautiful presentation. After all, you really don't want to misrepresent yourself, so showcase the quality, and be careful that the package is as pretty as the picture. I hope you have great success!

Not a professional photographer, nor do I play one on TV - I love the composition but think the lighting needs a bit of work. I'm finding the shadows a bit distracting. But a good start I'd say.

I think you've done pretty well considering you didn't really know how to plate them in the beginning... all those shots have the right idea and potential, in my opinion.

A few thoughts :

The first shot, I like! If anything, maybe the plate is a bit small, feels slightly cramped to me, but it's not a big deal. What about ditching the plates altogether, at least for one or two shots...? If you have nice interesting surfaces like wood, some cookies might look great resting straight on that, or maybe on a napkin.

The second shot is the least successful, I think. The cup you've used reminds me of those clunky sets you find at function rooms with instant coffee! And the plate is quite small which means it doesn't sit nicely on the plate with the cookies. Also, the cookie on the cup feels wrong to me - I think I can see what you're trying but it doesn't quite work.

The cookies look really tasty and enticing, so why not just use two or three of them instead of a bit pile, and play around with the crockery you've used so that you can keep the coffee (i like the idea of a hot drink in the photo) without it feeling cramped. Also, I think a latte or some other kind of drink with milk foam would look more appetising, at the moment it's a very non-descript color and looks a bit icky with the floaty bubbles on just part of the surface.

The third shot is simple but effective. I've seen some photographers use half-eaten food and leave some crumbs scattered round and it looks good, so you could try that, but I suspect it might be hard to do without it looking messy. Only other suggestion is that it would be nice to somehow separate the cookies a bit cause they blur together a little since the colors are so similar throughout. Not sure how to do that though :/

The last one I really like! The idea of cookies in a bowl actually works quite well, I wonder if you can find some more "delicate" fabric, this one looks like a tea towel (?) which is ok but I think something thinner or with a finer pattern could be effective. But i do like the composition and the homely, inviting feel.

Overall I think you're doing well, and I think you'll get some other great ideas here!

OK, just MHO:

dcarch

I corrected color, and cropped a little.

Shortstack.jpg

Shortstack2.jpg

The definition of the cookies are not clear, looks like just one cookie. I delineated the cookies more.

OneBite.jpg

OneBite2.jpg

I changed the perspective. The original picture lookes like the coffee is going to spill.

WithaCuppa.jpg

WithaCuppa2.jpg

The picture is off center for no reason.

InBowl1.jpg

InBowl12.jpg

All of the serving pieces seem small. I think it is okay to have a bigger plate with more negative space around the plate. Maybe a dinner plate with a folded napkin on top with the cookies on top of that layering color and texture like you do with clothes. Be careful with the focus as well on the cookies the other elements can be slightly out of focus.

My favorite shot is the last one, the napkin brings some nice color to the shot. I would just use a different bowl, maybe something wider and shallow? Just some thoughts and ideas.

OK, here's the first stab at it - critique, please!

Shortstack2.jpg

Physical arrangement is good

Framing is good

Lighting arrangement - you've only really used one light source, and it seems to be above and a little behind the subject. That means that of the cookies in the stack, only the top one stands out - the others are in the shadow. You would have more definition in the stack if the light was coming from the left, or from more in front of the subject, even if you had only one light source. When you look at the 'stack' photo Chris posted, do you see the shadows to the left of the stack ? How many different shadows are there ? How many lights do you think were used, and from which direction(s) ? In fact, from what i can see, you had at least two light sources available - the electric light that cast the main shadow, and the reflection from the white wall in the background. Maybe you're physically restricted from moving round to shoot from a different angle so that you can use that light.

Photography tip: are you using a tripod ? That should let you eliminate blur.

WithaCuppa.jpg

Yes, the plate needs to be bigger or the cup smaller :smile:

OneBite.jpg

Again, good framing and composition.

Lighting - I like the strong light washing out the background in this shot. However, unidirectional light from above = flat pictures, so the cookies all run together visually, as dcarch says. This effect is one of the reasons photographers avoid shooting outdoors in strong sun around mid-day (overcast creates light from all directions and creates lovely pictures).

InBowl1.jpg

Again, your plating is good.

As dcarch said, this is off-centre. Kinda uncomfortably off-centre. If you always shoot things dead-centre your photos will lack tension & drama. But this far off-centre, with that large gap on the right ? Have you heard of the golden ratio / golden section ?

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

OK, just MHO:

dcarch

You, sir, have nothing to be humble about. You are a genius and I salute you. Wow! I am so liking what you can do. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I know nothing about photography at all, but I like the way you have plated your products!

Here is a link to an interesting idea - a cheapo DIY macro box that looks like it could be very helpful with lighting challenges. I keep meaning to make one for myself, but never get around to it.

Patty

I've actually got one of those, Patty! (insert me slapping my head....) Jeesh, and I'm a professional scenic designer with a major in lighting as well. (insert second head slap....) I should know better - but then again I should also probably not try to plate cookies at midnight after baking a dozen shortcakes.....

OK, here's the first stab at it - critique, please!

WithaCuppa.jpg

Yes, the plate needs to be bigger or the cup smaller :smile:

Actually, I quite like this one because it has a good sense of movement, like someone was hurrying to get their coffee and cookies. The top cookie needs to be in focus and I'd reduce the other side to only one or two. With some fill light I think it would tell a good story. A bigger plate might not work as well because it seems like there is tension in the cookies and the cup competing for space on the saucer.

... I suppose I'm anthropomorphizing a bit much :smile:

It's almost never bad to feed someone.