• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner in Brooklyn

davidbdesilva

Coming in from Philly to see Macbeth at the Brooklyn Academy of Music on April 17th at 3pm. Would like to have dinner afterward some place that has very good food. Am open to any cuisine at all. I've looked in the surrounding area and these looked interesting to me: Bacchus, Chez Lola, Chez Oskar, Miriam, Belleville Bistro, Kif, and Scopello. Within walking distance would be ideal (but will take a cab if needed) and I'll be dining solo. Please let me know what your opinions are of those I've listed as well as any others you like. Thank you all very much!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Seconding Franny's. Super close and really, really good.

If you're willing to take a fairly short cab ride I think it's worth it to check out Frankies 457. Great food and cocktails, and if you're dining solo you could probably get a seat at the bar without too much trouble.

If you're willing to take a fairly short cab ride I think it's worth it to check out Frankies 457. Great food and cocktails, and if you're dining solo you could probably get a seat at the bar without too much trouble.

As Sneakeater mentions above, it'll be hard to get a cab. I think there's a big difference between the food at Franny's vs. the food at Frankies 457; that is, the food at Franny's is on a whole different level.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

And then go to the Chocolate Room on 5th ave. for dessert--it's not far down from Franny's. Though as I recall the desserts at Franny's are good. Hell, if I were just there for one day, I would do both, but I am piggy that way.

Edited by Moopheus (log)

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Just to be clear on the cab issue, it's usually pretty easy to get a cab back to Manhattan from BAM. But it can be hard to convince cab drivers there to take you deeper into Brooklyn. It's illegal for them to refuse -- but that doesn't stop them.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Just to be clear on the cab issue, it's usually pretty easy to get a cab back to Manhattan from BAM. But it can be hard to convince cab drivers there to take you deeper into Brooklyn. It's illegal for them to refuse -- but that doesn't stop them.

As an ex-cab driver, I can only agree. I also think we agree on Franny's vs. Frankies.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

As has already been well-established here, the correct answer is Franny's. I've done that walk many times, it's not only pretty short, but pretty much a straight line, so you'd have to be working pretty hard to get lost. I love the pizza at Franny's, but everything else I've had has been great too, especially cocktails. Do not miss the chocolate sorbet for dessert, even if you're heading to the chocolate room later. Sit out back if it's nice weather.

www.frannysbrooklyn.com

If the 5 or 6 block walk seems too daunting, you could stop at Bark Hotdogs for sustenance along the way...

barkhotdogs.com

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the good advice here, I had a great dinner at Franny's and a 10 minute walk to BAM on Saturday pre-King Lear. Very glad I'd planned on the walk, since the subway was undependable due to planned construction all weekend and Flatbush Avenue was a parking lot at the time I finished dinner.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard