• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Barren Wasteland of My Kitchen

Mjx

The Insane Kitchen Hoarding Disorders topic reminded me that we have a nearly-opposite situation: Our cabinets and refrigerators have remarkably little in them, because shopping is done a daily/project basis.

At the moment, our refrigerator contains the leftovers from Friday night’s roast chicken and etceteras (we were away for the weekend), a small array of condiments, some sandwich meat, about a centimetre or two of milk in last week’s carton, and a bottle of gin; cabinets contain a modest assortment of tea and sweeteners, instant coffee, a few condiments that don’t need refrigeration, a tin of crushed tomatoes, and some Wasa crackers (which I unearthed for breakfast, since I wasn’t really in the mood for capers straight from the jar, and the leftovers are slated for dinner).

The freezer contains a bottle of aquavit, some random perishable items, and the coffee beans (which are used daily).

Anyone else more ‘Mother Hubbard’ than ‘Mother hoarder’?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

That's funny, because even with the hoarding I exhibit, I tend to shop on a daily or at least every other day basis as well.

But my question for you goes even deeper. Gin in the fridge? Coffee beans in the freezer? You're starting to scare me/us... :shock: .

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

But my question for you goes even deeper. Gin in the fridge? Coffee beans in the freezer? You're starting to scare me/us... :shock: .

Be very afraid , Mitch. My coffee beans live in the freezer and I've been known to refrigerate gin. What kind of Society Shibboleth have we flunked? :rolleyes:

I don't think I've done a weekly shop in my life; no matter the clutter of condiments in the fridge door, my Barren Wasteland is: nothing to cook for dinner.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I gather that breakfast isn't a priority.

Coffee and a cigarette, the breakfast of champions.

With you on this. Some mornings I'll even skip the coffee.

After a couple of weeks without hitting the grocery store (as discussed in the thread linked by the OP) my fridge is starting to look a bit bare, but the pantry is still rather full of canned and dried goods. Buying mass quantities of stuff on sale/wholesale is probably my biggest kitchen vice.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

After I moved from a spacious house to a cottage I changed my ways. I threw out a lot of stuff that I somewhat regret pitching but I had no interim storage space for foodstuffs.

My fridge currently has some marinated beef for today, a bowl with 5 minute bread dough, drinks for my kid and an ice tea pitcher for me, some half & half, assorted quick pickles and a minimal amount of condiments (a hot sauce that needs refrigeration, Dijon mustard, sesame oil, wasabi paste, mayo). I do have some prepared food from the Korean market like squid, chap chae and potato salad that will get eaten over the next few days. I am pretty much a daily or every other day shopper. The freezer has containers of stock, coconut milk, shrimp, a packet of beef because I bought the bonus pack and froze some, peas/corn/artichoke hearts/serrano and habanero peppers from the garden harvest, butter, coffee, and some frozen burritos and pizzas for the kid.

My pantry is minimal. Flours and sugars and salt in the little cabinet above the fridge. Potatoes and onions are in my bedroom closet as it is the coolest spot. Soy sauce, fish sauce, a modest selection of dried spices, honey, and incidentals are on 3 small (10 x 10 inc) shelves in a closet adjacent to the sink. A total of 3 cans - tomatoes, salmon, and chickpeas. I will have to crawl over to the hoarder neighbors in the event of a disaster.

IO do have an active vegetable and herb garden.

Some of this is space dictated, but I think in large part it was a cleansing process as I made a life change. We shall see how things play out. It has been about a year and a half of this minimalism. I did cave and order the Rancho Gordo piloncillo sugar discussed here so I may be drifting into a new phase.

Be very afraid , Mitch. My coffee beans live in the freezer and I've been known to refrigerate gin. What kind of Society Shibboleth have we flunked? :rolleyes:

I don't think I've done a weekly shop in my life; no matter the clutter of condiments in the fridge door, my Barren Wasteland is: nothing to cook for dinner.

Doesn't everyone put their coffee beans in the freezer? And their gin and vodka too?

I shop every day and my fridge is still full. And I live alone.

I have almost nothing in my fridge, freezer or cupboards. I cook, but I buy very tiny amounts, always with a plan in mind. Spices and condiments get tossed frequently, and typically aren't replaced until needed. The only thing I stock up on is beef consommé, which I make (and freeze) for my elderly cat.

I gather that breakfast isn't a priority.

Coffee and a cigarette, the breakfast of champions.

Eh, not so much (just no cigarette, in my case). This morning I was reminded of the fact that there is also breakfast cereal in the flat, which I overlooked, yesterday.

When we installed our oven about a year ago, we had to reorganize the kitchen to accommodate the overflow from what had been the most convenient shelves in the kitchen, making a fairly minimalist kitchen landscape a distinct asset (trying to find something at the back of dark cabinet while crouched over and holding a flashlight would have to be even worse, if there was a lot of stuff to shuffle through).

Weinoo assures me that moving the coffee from the fridge/freezer to room temperature creates condensation (which is consistent with scientific observation, except in our kitchen between October and March, when there's virtually no difference between the two temperatures), and refrigerated gin doesn't dissolve ice effectively.

I've realized I'm going to have to shop today, since I'm sick of capers for breakfast... they're awful with coffee. The cereal doesn't look much better.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Doesn't everyone put their coffee beans in the freezer? And their gin and vodka too?

No. And no.

Weinoo assures me that moving the coffee from the fridge/freezer to room temperature creates condensation (which is consistent with scientific observation, except in our kitchen between October and March, when there's virtually no difference between the two temperatures), and refrigerated gin doesn't dissolve ice effectively.

Yes. And yes.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?