• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "My New Orleans" by John Besh

Melissa

I love the book. So far I've only made a few of the dishes but they have all been good. I love the way it is laid out by occasions. I can recomend the stuffing. pumpkin soup with crab meat, jambalaya, and blueberry cream pie. I think I've tried a couple of others as well but I don't have the book in front of me.

Here is the jambalaya

SNB17410.jpg

Blueberry Cream Pie

SNB17421.jpg

Clark

I've had this book for a little over a year. When I first got it, I thought "what a *gorgeous* book....but I'll never cook from it !"

The recipes just seemed too long and involved and "restaurant like" for someone cooking usually for one, like I am.

But I have to say, I've made about 5 or 6 dishes from it (grillades, jambalaya, red beans and rice, gumbo, fig cake, and maybe a couple of others I can't remember), and they all were wonderful. The gumbo was one of the best I've had, let alone made, and I usually make Paul Prudhomme's gumbos from his cookbook. The red beans and rice were different from others that I've had, but still very very good. As was the grillades. Unexpectedly, it has become a book I actually COOK from, rather than just having it look nice on my bookshelf.

I made his gumbo during My Blog, and loved it. I have 2 containers of it in the freezer, and can't wait to eat it again.

Its a beautifully designed, beautifully photographed, well written book that is surprisingly easy to cook from.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

anyone else find his take on making his roux interesting? i have switched to his version exculsively since first trying it...

OHH-RAH!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

anyone else find his take on making his roux interesting? i have switched to his version exculsively since first trying it...

OHH-RAH!!

Yes, Suzi, I agree. It's so much less scary than the ultra-high heat that Prudhomme uses. Although his technique *is* quicker, it's just way too easy to scorch the roux. And it can go from "nice and toasty brown" to "burned and ruined" in an instant.

Besh's is the only way I make roux on the stovetop now.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

• 1 month later...

I was notified last night that I won a copy of this cookbook. Can't wait to get it and try some of these recipes.

Margarita

Congratulations! Who ran the contest, if I may ask?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 1 month later...

I recently made the Rilletes from his cookbook and it says they keep for six months. I assume this is in the fridge (he doesn't say). How long will they keep at room temp before I'm running a risk of issues?

I've made two recipes out of this book, the red beans and rice and BBQ shrimp (which aren't really BBQ'd). I would defined make both again. Sorry but no pictures :(

Can't wait to try more..

The BBQ shrimp have been an absolute show stopper for me. Everyone I've cooked them for just goes on and on about them. I usually try to hide the reason they are so good though (i.e. that the recipe is 90% butter and cream).

OHH-RAH!!

It's how I was taught to make roux as a kid, I thought thats how everyone did it :laugh:

The gumbo was one of the best I've had, let alone made, and I usually make Paul Prudhomme's gumbos from his cookbook.

Based in large part upon this comment, I bought the book, and eagerly looked in the index to find the gumbo.

But there must be a half-dozen recipes for "gumbo."

Which one did you make?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The gumbo was one of the best I've had, let alone made, and I usually make Paul Prudhomme's gumbos from his cookbook.

Based in large part upon this comment, I bought the book, and eagerly looked in the index to find the gumbo.

But there must be a half-dozen recipes for "gumbo."

Which one did you make?

'Twas "Drew's Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo" and it was goooooood. About time for me to pull a container from the freezer and revisit the deliciousness.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend I made the Red Beans and Rice but I substituted the Tasso ham from Ruhlman\Powlcin's "Charcuterie" for the ham hocks. It was quite frankly the best red beans and rice I have ever had (and it's one of my all time favorite dishes so I've had it a lot). The depth of flavor provided by the allspice and marjoram in the tasso was really great.

Anybody who owns both books and has the means to make the tasso should do so immediately. They are truly a match made in heaven.

Anybody who owns both books and has the means to make the tasso should do so immediately. They are truly a match made in heaven.

I absolutely LOVE tasso so I'm sure that was delicious. For anyone who doesnt have both books you can just order tassso cheaply over the web, savoies is definitely the local favorite brand in louisiana!

http://www.cajungrocer.com/savoies-tasso-pork-p-364.html