• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

jsmeeker

What did you buy in the liquor store today? Was it just restocking your standard stuff? Trying something new? Let us know. You can even use photos to show us all the pretty bottles.

Here is what I bought today (3/19/2011) at Pogos Wine and Spirits in Dallas

liquorstore2_small-20110319-144421.jpg

I went to this store to get Maraschino. It's the only place I know of that carries it in Dallas. I've been without it for sometime. I spied a single bottle of Luxardo (the brand I had previously) but then saw the Marasca. So, I bought that. I also spotted the Rittenhouse 100 proof. Had not seen that before in other stores, so I bought that. I was out of Campari, so I got some of that. Same with the dry vermouth. Of course, when I got home, I discovered I did NOT have sweet vermouth on hand. I thought I had some.. grrrrr......

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Well it was yesterday, but 12 bottles of red wine. A mix of Amarone's, Chateau neuf de pape's and barolos. Hey, it's a long drive into town. I only want to do it once.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

A half-bottle of B&B--one of Ms. Alex's favorites. And some wine, but I assume you're asking about non-wine items.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

A case of Rosè of Tempranillo to mainly use in making a huge batch of Vin d'Orange. I was gifted a lot of citrus in the past week and decided that it was time to try making my own aperitifs. I used clementines, a Tahitian vanilla bean, one allspice berry and one juniper berry -and infused them in grain alcohol for two days before adding 4 750ml bottles of today's wine.

I also picked up a bottle of Massenez Creme de Peche just for fun. I'll try it in a Daisy sometime in the next week or so.

A half-bottle of B&B--one of Ms. Alex's favorites. And some wine, but I assume you're asking about non-wine items.

Wine and beer certainly count, especially if you are buying it with some spirits at the same time. :smile:

Last Saturday, on the generous tip of a friendly bartender, I went "dusty hunting"...here are the spoils:

IMG_5146.jpg

I haven't been able to gauge the age of most of it...the Campari is probably only 5-6 years old (it says artificially colored), but the Bourbons are likely much older. The Old Fitz is DSP KY 16 (Stitzel-Weller, obsolete) and the Old Forester is DSP KY 414 (Brown-Forman, Shively). I can't find a good answer as to when Brown-Forman stopped importing Noilly Prat or when Noilly Prat U.S.A. was incorporated, but that would help me date the vermouth; I'm sort of afraid to open it. The Chartreuse bottle predates the neck codes that allow you to determine the bottling year. The only real clues as to its age is that it was imported by 21 Brands, not Wildman and that it does not have a government warning against the consumption of alcohol on it. There's less than nothing online about the Peach Heering.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

The quest for a good everyday scotch continues. This time I ended up with Johnnie Walker Red.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Evan Williams black label, Broker's gin, and NP dry.

KD1191, that's quite a haul! Interested to see what you think about that Old Fitzgerald. I have two very old bottles of Chartreuse that have a funky quality that really works in some things but, with citrus, say, really doesn't.

And: Peach Heering?!?!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

That was last week's purchase.

The week before that was J&B, and the week before that, Black and White.

Trying to find a source for Teacher's and White Horse, as well as a selection of Irish and Rye whiskies. Unfortunately the good liquor stores are all the way across town.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

What are you looking for in a blended Scotch, Dakki? Personally, my favourite is Bell's, so I was kind of put off when the LCBO stopped carrying it, citing rising prices from increased demand in China. I find Famous Grouse to be decent - I know it gets a lot of positive reviews around these parts - but a little pricier than I'd like. (Also slightly smokier than I'd like.) I've been thinking of trying Dewar's next, just for kicks. I like Whyte and Mackay, too. Personally, I find Teacher's to be too smoky for the types of cocktails I mix with blended Scotch.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, actually - trying to learn about something other than beer, and scotch seemed the right place to start.

At the risk of an e-lynching, I mix it with soda water and put it on ice. It's much too warm around here to drink un-iced, un-mixed liquor.

Edited by Dakki (log)

I went to the liquor store tonight. Different store from where I went earlier today. Why? I thought I had sweet vermouth. I did not. So, I bought a bottle of that. And a bottle of Plymouth Gin because I was also almost out of gin.

You'd love Tokyo!

I do love Tokyo, but what inspired this observation?

mkayahara, what sort of cocktails can you make with scotch, besides a Tom Collins? I'm afraid I'm showing my profound ignorance of mixology here but beer has been my drink of choice for decades (and it's starting to show on the waistband, unfortunately).

I think he's saying that the Japanese love their highballs. And, to a certain extent, Chris is right. Single malt (Scottish or Japanese) on the rock or in a highball is a common order. The Japanese beieve that many spirits benefit from water or ice in the same way that a painting benefits from a few long steps backward to take it in. Gives you a bit of perspective.

I'm not saying this is correct. But after tending in Tokyo - and in the US - and seeing English/Scottish ways... I must say, I am very forgiving of localized (non-US) drinking customs that might seem heretical to other (US-driven) drinking cultures. "To each their own" has never been more appropos.

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

Completely agree with Kohai and no insult was implied to either you or the drinkers of Tokyo. I'm working on an article about Tender Bar that will talk about this very point.

Sounds like an interesting article. I'm a huge fan of eat/drink what you like the way you like it. I give experts their due respect and if they say there is a particular way something can be best enjoyed/appreciated, I will give it a shot. But if I decide I prefer it my way after all, that's what I will do and the experts can look down their nose at me all they want.

Anyway, back to the topic. Yesterday I picked up a replacement bottle of El Dorado 12 year and put in an order for St. Germains (which I missed out on when the LCBO brought the previous 300 cases in, didn't expect it to go so fast) and Fernet Branca. I was going to add the Havana Club Barrel Proof to my order as well but talked myself out of it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

mkayahara, what sort of cocktails can you make with scotch, besides a Tom Collins? I'm afraid I'm showing my profound ignorance of mixology here but beer has been my drink of choice for decades (and it's starting to show on the waistband, unfortunately).

The Scotch-based mixed drinks I got started on were Rusty Nails (Scotch and Drambuie) and Godfathers (Scotch and Amaretto). I've branched out somewhat since then to the Rob Roy, Bobbie Burns, Affinity, Blood and Sand, Mamie Taylor, Modern No. 2, Cameron's Kick and such. (Of those, the Blood and Sand and Modern No. 2 are my favourites.) Then, of course, there are a few drinks that call for single malts, often specific brands. I'm a huge fan of the Dreamy Dorini Smoking Martini, for example.

A good place to start would be this thread: pick something that sounds appealing and start collecting the ingredients. But be warned: mixology is a very slippery slope!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

KD1191, that's quite a haul! Interested to see what you think about that Old Fitzgerald.

I did a blind tasting tonight involving the Bonded Old Fitz & Forester, as well as 2 other 100 proof bourbons I had on hand (Old Heaven Hill Gold Bonded and Four Roses Single Barrel). I actually tagged the Fitz as being the Four Roses, so it clearly struck me as the most elegant/expensive of the four, but I only gave it the second highest score (the actual Four Roses edged it out by a point). As far as tasting notes, I noted caramel corn and slate on the nose with leather and bitter orange peel on the palate. After adding a few drops of water, I tasted hints of both petrol and grass as well. It had a smooth attack with a hot midpalate and finish.

And: Peach Heering?!?!

Yeah, I can't find any info on this. My notes on tasting it are here.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Completely agree with Kohai and no insult was implied to either you or the drinkers of Tokyo. I'm working on an article about Tender Bar that will talk about this very point.

None taken, I just wondered what you meant. Sorry for the confusion.

mkayahara, thanks, I'll look at that thread now.

I was in NYC yesterday so I made sure to park near Astor Wines so I could look for "interesting things" on the way home. I ended up with a bottle of Bulleit Rye (95% Rye) and an amaro I hadn't seen before -- Amaro S. Maria al Monte. I'm always on the lookout for new (to me) amari. I just sampled this one about 10 minutes ago. It starts similar to Amaro Lucano or Averna, then has a subtle hint of Fernet Branca on the finish (which is completely dry). It's going to be fun to mix with.

Dan

I was in NYC yesterday so I made sure to park near Astor Wines so I could look for "interesting things" on the way home. I ended up with a bottle of Bulleit Rye (95% Rye) and an amaro I hadn't seen before -- Amaro S. Maria al Monte. I'm always on the lookout for new (to me) amari. I just sampled this one about 10 minutes ago. It starts similar to Amaro Lucano or Averna, then has a subtle hint of Fernet Branca on the finish (which is completely dry). It's going to be fun to mix with.

Dan

The al Monte sounds great. What'd you think of the Bulleit Rye? I was excited about it, too, but I've heard from some people that, while solid, Bulleit Bourbon was so rye-heavy that it's not much of a stretch.

Roddy Rickhouse

Drinks Writer for Frontier Psychiatrist

http://frontpsych.com/

Hi Roddy. It's good. It won't replace Rittenhouse Bonded for mixing, though, (at least for me) because it's more expensive, lower proof (90), and harder for me to find.

But it's tasty. It's good for sipping and makes a decent Sazerac. I think it's better than Redemption Rye (which I thought was too harsh for sipping) but it's no competition for High West Rendezvous (which has some 16yr old in the mix -- and makes the best Sazerac I've ever had).

Always nice to see more quality ryes on the market -- and at $31/750ml it's not outrageously priced either.