• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Street eats

hungryscotsman

Greetings from a rainy Scotland. Am coming across to NY for a fortnight in April with the specific intention of researching (and eating!) the best street food which for these purposes I am defining as all the usual carts, wagons or holes in wall. Anything which is purchased and consumed from the sidewalk.

Evenings will focus on more conventional offerings to keep my wee lassie happy. But street food it is for breakfast/brunch/lunch/afternoon snack offers.

Ladies. Gentlemen. What are your thoughts, recommendations, must visits?

Appreciate any help that can be given

Am now away to put some more peat on my fire......

Not exactly a secret, but the midtown Halal wagon on the southwest corner of 6th Ave and 53rd St is as reliable as its long line. But at least they are fast. Maybe there's some kind of addictive substance in the white and red sauces (I always ask for both.) There's another wagon in the same vein at 6th and 55th, also good, but not quite as satisfying. I guess I just like standing on line. Whenever I visit my mom in NY--she lives right there--I always get the chicken and rice plate for an easy lunch or dinner. I find the lamb is (reliably, too) rather tough, so I avoid it. The portion is very generous, the red sauce very hot.

Worth noting that both of the halal carts on 53rd & 6th, on the SW and SE corners, are run by the same people now. SE line is usually shorter. I like the lamb/chicken combo platter, with both the red & white sauces, $6.

I also love the Schnitzel & Things truck but it's in the $10 range and therefore much less street food-like even though it's a truck.

Does Shake Shack qualify? Its outdoor location in Madison Square Park, at least? Just watch out for the aggressive squirrels.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Greetings from a rainy Scotland. Am coming across to NY for a fortnight in April with the specific intention of researching (and eating!) the best street food which for these purposes I am defining as all the usual carts, wagons or holes in wall. Anything which is purchased and consumed from the sidewalk.

Evenings will focus on more conventional offerings to keep my wee lassie happy. But street food it is for breakfast/brunch/lunch/afternoon snack offers.

Ladies. Gentlemen. What are your thoughts, recommendations, must visits?

Appreciate any help that can be given

Am now away to put some more peat on my fire......

I think the first place to start for street food carts would be to do a search online for recent nominees in the "Vendy Awards". Each year, some of the best food carts and wagons (e.g. the famous Biryani Cart, and the taco truck at 96th and B'way) compete for the title of "best" in various categories. Not all are deserving of the praise, but many are, and it's a good place to accumulate a list. Let us know if you have any trouble finding the Vendys.

If the Kwik Meal cart on 45th & 6th is still there (it's been a while for me), then that's worth a stop--excellent felafel.

There is a outdoor plaza nearby with tables you can use too, between 45th/46th just east of 6th Ave. There are also a number of other carts in that area, including Moishe's if you want to do a falafel comparisson.

hungryscotsman- if you don't want to be too literal about getting your food 'on the street', you can also include other quick bites that will give you a good feel for what the city has to offer. I'm thinking specifically about slice joint pizza, hot dogs from papaya king (or something similar), pastrami sandwiches, stuff like that. Also, certain neighborhoods can be great for casual food- Chinatown, Curry Hill, East Harlem, etc. If you can post back with an idea of where you will be visiting I'm sure we can get you more specific recommendations.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."