• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best NYC diners 2011

Fat Guy

The Diner Food at Home topic got me thinking that we're due for a NYC diner topic. So, what do you think are the best diners in New York City?

For the city overall I've got to nominate Tom's in Brooklyn. In Manhattan I think EJ's does a terrific job.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...

The Diner Food at Home topic got me thinking that we're due for a NYC diner topic. So, what do you think are the best diners in New York City?

For the city overall I've got to nominate Tom's in Brooklyn. In Manhattan I think EJ's does a terrific job.

Was hoping more people would chime in on this one, as many of the diners I liked as a kid are long gone, and I feel like it's been ages since I've had a really good diner meal. Sure, I've had a bunch of acceptable ones, but nothing really great.

This one at 77th/Broadway is decent and used to be open 24 hours. 77th/Bway Diner

I've always been a fan of the Cosmic Diner, which used to be just off Columbus Circle until the neighborhood exploded with TWC, etc. They moved a little downtown to the 50's. Cosmic Diner Link

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child