• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

From my trip to Niko

Eatbigapple

With the departure of Yasuda, I was eager to find out how his former second-in-command Hiro-san would fare with his own restaurant. I met Hiro-san at a discussion panel on Sushi this past August, and he invited us to sit at the bar when the restaurant opened in October. The opening ended up being delayed quite a bit, it missed my friend's birthday in October, it missed my birthday in Nov... better late than never.

I went to Niko this past Friday, with a 8pm reservation at the bar. Mr. Levy was at the door downstairs, and constantly paced up and down the stairs making sure everything ran well. We waited at the bar for our seats, then were told to go to a table? A quick comment about the error moved us to the 2 empty spots at the sushi bar in front of Hiro-san. (who had a serious black-eye but was in a jolly mood. I'm hoping it was some shoveling accident and not restaurant related)

The 2 man sushi making team was working pretty much non-stop for the entire evening, despite the restaurant being only 60% full. There's some serious wasted time with Hiro-san writing down the type of each fish for the wait staff, something that more experience and training of the staff would eliminate. Perhaps they should have hired more people with experience from sushi restaurants? I understand each waiter only picks up dishes being fired out of the kitchen for his own tables, but with hand rolls, you got to be VERY FAST or the nori would get soggy. Hiro-san was not too happy about that. Sometimes rolls would be sitting at the counter, waiting for a particular waiter.

Now the food and drinks. Stuff from both the bar (drinks) and the kitchen were both fantastic. We had a miso-cured salmon from the kitchen, and it was truly special.

Hiro-san was a pleasure to talk to, and made some hilarious jokes. His fish slices are slightly thicker than Yasuda, and his knife and hand skills are quite mesmerizing to watch. If I must nitpick about the experience, the rice is not up to the standards of Yasuda. It felt a bit too moist, and each grain not as distinct in texture. As the bucket of rice cooled and dried slightly towards the end of the meal, the texture felt a lot better. I know Hiro-san is obsessed about sushi rice, and I'm sure it'll only get better.

I had a good time, and some great food. One thing though, the wait staff has to respect the chef and his food. Hiro does not looked pleased by the waiters, and some members of the wait staff looked frustrated, or even pissed at some point. When i was at Yasuda in December, I saw chef-Yasuda lash out at the staff in Japanese for making a mistake while diners were still finishing their food. The entire restaurant respected the chef, which translates into quality and consistency. Hope to see that at Hiro soon.

I work at day, I run my start-up at night. Somewhere in between, I eat and blog about dinner - EatBigApple New York Food Blog

Hiro-san also mentioned that a lot of the more "special" fish types are currently stuck at the airport due to inclement weather, something to encourage us to make a return visit. If anyone here goes and tries something truly different, please let us know.

I had a sweet shrimp roe sushi, that was quite a surprise.

I work at day, I run my start-up at night. Somewhere in between, I eat and blog about dinner - EatBigApple New York Food Blog

With the departure of Yasuda, I was eager to find out how his former second-in-command Hiro-san would fare with his own restaurant. I met Hiro-san at a discussion panel on Sushi this past August, and he invited us to sit at the bar when the restaurant opened in October. The opening ended up being delayed quite a bit, it missed my friend's birthday in October, it missed my birthday in Nov... better late than never.

I went to Niko this past Friday, with a 8pm reservation at the bar. Mr. Levy was at the door downstairs, and constantly paced up and down the stairs making sure everything ran well. We waited at the bar for our seats, then were told to go to a table? A quick comment about the error moved us to the 2 empty spots at the sushi bar in front of Hiro-san. (who had a serious black-eye but was in a jolly mood. I'm hoping it was some shoveling accident and not restaurant related)

The 2 man sushi making team was working pretty much non-stop for the entire evening, despite the restaurant being only 60% full. There's some serious wasted time with Hiro-san writing down the type of each fish for the wait staff, something that more experience and training of the staff would eliminate. Perhaps they should have hired more people with experience from sushi restaurants? I understand each waiter only picks up dishes being fired out of the kitchen for his own tables, but with hand rolls, you got to be VERY FAST or the nori would get soggy. Hiro-san was not too happy about that. Sometimes rolls would be sitting at the counter, waiting for a particular waiter.

Now the food and drinks. Stuff from both the bar (drinks) and the kitchen were both fantastic. We had a miso-cured salmon from the kitchen, and it was truly special.

Hiro-san was a pleasure to talk to, and made some hilarious jokes. His fish slices are slightly thicker than Yasuda, and his knife and hand skills are quite mesmerizing to watch. If I must nitpick about the experience, the rice is not up to the standards of Yasuda. It felt a bit too moist, and each grain not as distinct in texture. As the bucket of rice cooled and dried slightly towards the end of the meal, the texture felt a lot better. I know Hiro-san is obsessed about sushi rice, and I'm sure it'll only get better.

I had a good time, and some great food. One thing though, the wait staff has to respect the chef and his food. Hiro does not looked pleased by the waiters, and some members of the wait staff looked frustrated, or even pissed at some point. When i was at Yasuda in December, I saw chef-Yasuda lash out at the staff in Japanese for making a mistake while diners were still finishing their food. The entire restaurant respected the chef, which translates into quality and consistency. Hope to see that at Hiro soon.

How would you compare the overall quality of product and breadth of offering here to Yasuda and to other top places in town (Ushi Wakamaru, Kuruma, 15 East, etc.)? Also, what were the prices like? Also, do you know if Trevor Corson is still involved?

How would you compare the overall quality of product and breadth of offering here to Yasuda and to other top places in town (Ushi Wakamaru, Kuruma, 15 East, etc.)? Also, what were the prices like? Also, do you know if Trevor Corson is still involved?

The quality of the sushi and sashimi was top notch. I haven't been to Kuruma, but I'd say it's as good as Ushiwakamaru, Azabu, Sasabune, etc. Not as good as Yasuda, but then again I don't think Cobi Levy is aiming for that audience.

The menu omakase is actually very cheap. I think it lists at something like $40 a person. Not sure what that involves however. Other things on the menu: about 8 appetizers and 4 hot entrees from the kitchen, plus free mochi icecream at the end regardless what you order.

Prices: for two people, 3 drinks, 2 dishes from the kitchen, and about 11 pieces of sushi plus 2 hand rolls each. The total bill was about $230 before tip. For the quality, not bad at all.

Hiro-san mentioned that Trevor was there last week. We actually first met the chef at last summer's Story of Sushi panel held by Trevor Corson, that's when I first heard about this project. However I did not ask if he was still involved, as the conversation was interrupted by another order from tables.

Edited by Eatbigapple (log)