• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mainstream candy bars remade with dark chocolate

JAZ

I've never been a big fan of milk chocolate, which used to mean that I was out of luck when it came to mainstream candy bars. It used to be that the only mainstream, industrial candy bar that came in dark chocolate was Mounds -- which, since I don't like coconut, didn't help me at all.

The past few years have seen more bars in dark chocolate, though. I think the first was the Milky Way, with a few more following suit. Now you can find Snickers and Reese's in dark chocolate, and even M&Ms come in dark now. The latest I've found was dark chocolate Kit Kats, which may very well be my downfall (they're really good). If Butterfingers ever expand to dark chocolate, I'll be in heaven.

Anyone else like this trend? Are there any other bars out there that have made the switch that I should know about?

I'm right with you on this, Janet ! I have a bag of dark chocolate M&Ms waiting to go into my candy dish when the TJ's S'mores chunks (also dark chocolate) are gone. I haven't seen the dark chocolate Kit Kat, but they sound marvelous. Bring on the dark chocolate, I say !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Candy bars and chocolate? What connection do those two words have?

The last time I looked at a KitKat bar or M & M bag it was some concotion of dutched cocoa powder and some kind of wierd fat or oil fobbed off as chocoalte-- no mention of cocoa mass/liquor at all.

JAZ, For a very short time Mars Bars were available in dark. My husband was in heaven but I can no longer find them.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I really like dark chocolate Milky Way bars. Especially the tiny bite sized cube types found in candy mixes. They're called Milky Way Midnight, I think, and I have never seen them in a full sized bar anywhere. I happen to be a huge fan of caramel and dark chocolate.

JAZ, For a very short time Mars Bars were available in dark. My husband was in heaven but I can no longer find them.

There was a Forever Yours bar which was available on and off, and which ultimately morphed into the dark chocolate covered Milky Way. When Forever Yours was available there were no other dark chocolate covered bars except Mounds. When I was a kid and a teenager there was a Van Houten bar, solid dark chocolate ... yummmmm!

... Shel

The area where I live seems to have been (or still is) a test market for new candy bars or special editions. You can see some of them in this thread:

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

The Dark Chocolate Twix bars were quite good but I think they were just a limited edition, whic is too bad. I hope they make it a permanent addition to their line of candy bars.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Honestly, while in general I prefer dark chocolate to milk, I don't really care for any of the "conversions" I've tried. The dark chocolate has a tendency to overwhelm the other flavors in the bars. The candy bars designed with dark in mind work well (York, Mounds) but I've never cared for the ones that were designed to use milk and then just subbed in dark with what seem to be no other changes.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org