• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Herb Encrusted Potatoes - Dinosaur Eggs

loki

Herb Encrusted Potatoes - Dinosaur Eggs

I made this up after having a similar potato at the Big Rock Cafe - at the Big Rock Candy Mountain in South-central Utah. These need nothing else - and are good cold too! Almost any combination of herbs and spices could be used. I made these to sort of follow a Mexican flair. I could not resist using a few Indian spices though - like the mustard seeds and ajwain (with a flavour reminiscent of oregano).

Ingredients

2 lbs new potatoes, small to medium

2 egg whites

1 tsp balsamic vinegar

2 tsp salt

1 tsp chile powder (just ground chiles)

2 tsp thyme

1 tsp rosemary

2 tsp dill seed

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp black mustard seeds

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp ajwain seeds, optional

1/2 tsp celery seed

3 Tbs corn flour (not corn starch! you can grind corn meal in a spice/coffee grinder)

1 Tbs olive oil (a good one)

1. Scrub potatoes - you can peel if desired.

2. Mix egg whites and balsamic vinegar and beat till frothy - but not more than that.

3. Mix all herbs and spices (except the mustard seeds) and grind in a spice mill or coffee grinder till coarsely ground.

4. Mix salt, corn flour, ground herbs and spices, and mustard seeds well.

5. Coat potatoes in the egg whites - one or a few at a time, and roll and coat in spice mixture.

6. Bake the potatoes either in an outdoor grill on medium (covered) or in a 375 oven for 30 minutes.

7. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.

Servings: 6

Yield: 15 potatoes

Cooking Times

Preparation Time: 15 minutes

Cooking Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes