• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Infiniment"

tan319

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone received a copy of Infiniment? My order was returned as undeliverable from Amazon.fr and while I can probably order it again from Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.ca the three reviews on Amazon.fr are quite disappointing. I was just curious if any recipes were included in the book that relate to his pastry work. Cheers

why would any of the "Infinement" recipes be crappy?

You & I have seen at least 1 of them.

Can someone explain or guide me to the sub forum of the sub forum "Herme' books that suck", please?

Thankx!

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

• 2 months later...

I'm really disappointed by this book, and agree with the bad reviews on amazon.fr.

I just don't get the sense behind publishing it, the only thing that comes to mind is that Herme had to fulfill a contract and didn't want to put much effort on it.

The recipes are in the limbo between the professional world and the homecook world. Nothing complicated or innovative like on PH10, almost everything is too complicated for the average homecook, so I just don't understand who is the target of this book. As I don't understand the graphics of it: there are almost no photos, and half pages are simple colored pages with the title of the recipe (and here the graphics resemble more a children book than a professional book). Plus there are some "new" versions of the Hispahan concept: ok chef, we will always be grateful to you for giving us that masterpiece, but now it's enough, please stop before making a Hispahan risotto, a Hispahan cigarette and a Hispahan car.

Overall it's a mediocre book, nothing really useful for the professional or for the homecook, most pages are wasted (it's ok for me to have few text, but then I want great photos). Considering that the author is Pierre Herme, this is just a huge disappointment. If PH10 was a Ferrari, then this is a Fiat Duna.

Teo

Teo

I agree. After looking over the recipes most include "professional" versions of the filling then they do not have the finishing steps...so you get many recipes that just say to finish with rosettes of the filling. Quite disappointing. I hope he makes another professional book sometime in the future.