• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gluten free eating in NYC

daisy17

Never paid much attention to the whole "gluten-free" thing, and certainly never thought I'd be starting this thread. Discovered recently that I likely have a sensitivity to gluten. Avoiding gluten for 3 weeks has resolved some lifelong stomach issues and ongoing fatigue, and while I don't have celiac disease, this sensitivity is probably going to keep me eating this way for as long as I can stand it.

Tu-Lu's Bakery in the East Village is entirely gluten free - their coffee cake is just delicious. Tu-Lu's Bakery

Babycakes on the LES

Risotteria - haven't been there in years but will be back, they have GF breadsticks and pizzas.

Hampton Chutney is my new favorite lunch place - their dosas are made from a rice batter (and are fantastic) and you can order off the menu without hesitation.

Any other recs for places that focus on gf foods?

I'm sure this comes as no surprise, but I figured I'd just throw it out there, but most asian cuisines would be ok, since they're mostly based on rice, rather than wheat. One great thing about NY is the variety of ethnic foods... I couldn't imagine being gluten free living in Wyoming...

I'm sure this comes as no surprise, but I figured I'd just throw it out there, but most asian cuisines would be ok, since they're mostly based on rice, rather than wheat. One great thing about NY is the variety of ethnic foods... I couldn't imagine being gluten free living in Wyoming...

As I've learned over the past 3 weeks, many Asian sauces including soy sauce contain wheat, which can make asian tricky (although starch/noodle wise, more appealing as you note).

I recognize that this might not be the right place for a discussion about how to negotiate gf living (although I'm happy to partake in it). I'm looking more for places that are gf-focused enough for you to eat things that normally would have gluten in them - like baked goods, pizza, etc.

I'm practically boring myself to death with this thread. Maybe I'll write up my dinner at EMP on fri night instead ...

I know that some Danny Meyer restaurants have specifically gluten free menus, like Blue Smoke.

Friedman's in Chelsea Market is completely gluten free.

Keste has gluten free pizzas on Mondays and Tuesdays. Otto will also do gluten free pastas on request. I think S'Mac or Mac Bar or perhaps both (?) do gluten free mac and cheese.

Never really liked anything you could get at Babycakes, alas. A friend who is dairy-allergic (as in the take me to the emergency room kind, not the lactose-intolerance type) really likes Lula’s Sweet Apothecary and their ice cream is gluten free.

East Asian can be tricky (especially sushi) but I'm wondering if Thai food could be more forgiving, assuming it's a place cooking traditionally and not adding in soy sauce.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I didn't know about Otto! that is huge, K - thanks!!

Thai and Vietnamese seem to be navigable with some energy and a willing waitstaff. The Vietnamese place on 13th & University has a gf menu but I haven't eaten there yet.

You can buy gluten-free soy sauce and take it with you to restaurants...that should make sushi one of the easiest Asian dishes to eat, since nigiri-sushi contains only rice, salt, sugar, rice-vinegar (just check that they haven't subbed any other type of vinegar), horseradish, and seafood.

I did a test-run on different types of gluten-free soy sauce and found the types made with sesame and several seeds/grains were tastiest, but many contain millet, which I understand some people can't tolerate.

Wasabi - I believe that it's theoretically possible to add gluten to wasabi (so that the volatile spiciness doesn't disperse so fast) but have never seen any prepared wasabi that did actually include gluten.

Nori sheets SHOULD be plain grilled nori, which is fine, but it's just possible that a restaurant could use the seasoned type, which would include soy sauce. With plain nori, you should be able to do hand-rolls, but non-traditional maki (and a few traditional types which include cooked or processed ingredients) are risky.