• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

December New York Dinners

andrewjhow

My wife and I are heading to NYC in December from Florida (a long way away I know, but it is a surprise for her for Christmas and first time we have gone alone in a few years since kids). We always try new places, and this time we decided we were going to go to some of our old favorites. We have 2-3 big dinners to eat and lots of time to plan.

I have eaten at Per Se, Momofuku Ko, Jean Georges, EMP, Daniel, Le Bernardin, Gordon Ramsay, Adour, Gramercy Tavern, Joel Robuchon, Corton, Craft, and others. Some of them it has been a number of years. Including new places what would be the top 2-3 places to go and it can be from that list, or new places. Budget and neighborhoods are not big concerns because it is 2-3 nights. We really are open to eating any type of food, we just want a very memorable trip. Thanks so much for your help in advance.

I cannot stress enough how you and your wife must visit SHO Shaun Hergatt for dinner while you are in New York. Granted, it is in the Financial District, not the most accessible place in the city, but the food and service are excellent, on par with EMP and Marea. Speaking of, any of the Michael White/Chris Cannon collaborations will also do, especially Marea.

• 3 months later...

Current plan is WD-50, Lincoln, and EMP.

Still thinking about Gramercy Tavern, SHO, and Marea.

If anyone has any other ideas let me know. Also I had the best kobe beef I have ever had at Joel Robuchon and was planning to go, but now I see it is no longer on the menu.

I would agree with your choice of LIncoln. . WHy did you choose to return to EMP. There are much better meals to be had in the city

Presuming he liked EMP the first time (as he apparently did), a return makes a lot of sense given the rather dramatic (and, in general, favorably reviewed) changes to the menu.

Current plan is WD-50, Lincoln, and EMP.

Still thinking about Gramercy Tavern, SHO, and Marea.

If anyone has any other ideas let me know. Also I had the best kobe beef I have ever had at Joel Robuchon and was planning to go, but now I see it is no longer on the menu.

Of the ones you're still "thinking about", I'd suggest SHO (I'm sure there's a "fo' sho" joke in there that needs to be avoided) and Marea over Gramercy Tavern these days. While Meyer maintains a high level at all of his places, I think Gramercy has lost a little bit of luster of late. If you want to include a new Colicchio place, people seem to be saying good things about Riverpark.

Edited by LPShanet (log)

Took friends celebrating their anniversary for the tasting menu at Morimoto and it was extraordinary in every way.

This is an underappreciated but really special meal option in NYC. Many people are unaware of the difference between sitting at the "omakase bar" and simply ordering the omakase menu in the regular dining space. The latter can be quite pleasant, but is a standard dining experience, but sitting at the omakase bar is a really special (and unique/personalized) experience. If you do that, you basically get the Iron Chef experience, in which Morimoto himself of one of his trusted lieutenants creates a custom meal based on what is great from the markets that day. You set a price point, and they simply create for you. Make sure to request omakase bar when you reserve, as there are only a few seats, and be prepared to shell out 200+ per person for the food.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an underappreciated but really special meal option in NYC. Many people are unaware of the difference between sitting at the "omakase bar" and simply ordering the omakase menu in the regular dining space. The latter can be quite pleasant, but is a standard dining experience, but sitting at the omakase bar is a really special (and unique/personalized) experience. If you do that, you basically get the Iron Chef experience, in which Morimoto himself of one of his trusted lieutenants creates a custom meal based on what is great from the markets that day. You set a price point, and they simply create for you. Make sure to request omakase bar when you reserve, as there are only a few seats, and be prepared to shell out 200+ per person for the food.

Thanks for the great tip. I've had the omakase at a regular table a couple of times at Morimoto in NYC, and once in Philly, but had not realized that it could be different (and better) at the bar. Looks like I have another thing to add to my dining list for December when I go to NYC...

Jake

Thanks for the great tip. I've had the omakase at a regular table a couple of times at Morimoto in NYC, and once in Philly, but had not realized that it could be different (and better) at the bar. Looks like I have another thing to add to my dining list for December when I go to NYC...

Jake

Glad to help. It really is a totally different experience at the Omakase Bar (not to be confused with the sushi bar or any of the other "bars" in the place), not just a better version of the same. Think of it as a separate restaurant within the restaurant. The regular omakase on the menu is a standardized set meal that changes occasionally, but is based on items on the regular menu. The omakase bar is totally free-form and takes advantage of special ingredients ordered only for that area. Way different, way better, and priced to match. If you have any way of finding out whether Morimoto is in the house that day, he may even do all the cooking himself. One caveat: it's been a couple of years since I did it, so you may want to make sure they still offer it, and definitely reserve it specifically in advance, as there are only a few seats (6-8, I think).

We did it a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. Very few seats. I recall ankimo, fugu three ways, a whole Dungeness crab to share, a few ounces of Wagyu steak & half a lobster tail being on my menu. It was far too much food for one person -- but sadly the worst course was the nigiri sushi. It was done as a flight and I watched it being assembled ahead of time and then left on the counter for us for several minutes. And the texture of the rice was off. Too loose and a little dry.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

We did it a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. Very few seats. I recall ankimo, fugu three ways, a whole Dungeness crab to share, a few ounces of Wagyu steak & half a lobster tail being on my menu. It was far too much food for one person -- but sadly the worst course was the nigiri sushi. It was done as a flight and I watched it being assembled ahead of time and then left on the counter for us for several minutes. And the texture of the rice was off. Too loose and a little dry.

Major shame about the sushi. When I went, it was done piece by piece, as it should be at that level.

Sethd you convinced me on another thread to nix EMP.

We are doing Jean Georges (repeating a fave, but have never done the tasting there), Lincoln (loved Per Se, and don't care about the negative reviews I have lots of confidence in this place.), and WD-50 (always wanted to try it and it is something different.) I will update how it is.