• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fairway Cafe UWS in Danger of Closing

LilianNY

Thought I would get this out there:

Some of the best pancakes I have ever had may be history if Fairway pushes through with plans to replace the cafe w more room for organic food. Some cafe fans have started a website to try and stop this. There has been no official announcement to my knowledge but an employee there strongly believes this is in the works.

I can understand the thinking. The organic produce department is very cramped, and the layout upstairs makes the cafe the logical space to expand into. But what a shame that would be -- it's my favorite hidden gem, my go-to place before Lincoln Center. I suppose the empty afternoon hours don't bring adequate return per square foot.

Looking for the next delicious new taste...