• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Farm to Table Restaurants

rickmartin

Okay, so I'm a moron. I can barely navigate my own file cabinet let alone eGullet's. I'm sure the topic has been hashed many times.

Anyway, visiting NYC in a couple of weeks and I'm seeking some of the better Farm to Table concepts to be had. It doesn't have to be upscale stuff, just real food and real growers. From the heart. Any suggestions on where to eat? Thanks!

RM

I'm not sure that this has been discussed in just one thread, but we have at times commented on what Adam Platt (perhaps lamentably) calls "Haute Barnyard." Some of my favorite Greenmarket-driven places that emphasize their relationship with farmers and seasonality (clumped in very unscientific groups from most to least expensive/upscale):

Gramercy Tavern (although the Tavern Room is not expensive, the main dining room where they take reservations is)

Blue Hill (and Blue Hill at Stone Barns if you can get up there - highly recommended)

Craft

Cookshop/Hundred Acres

Market Table

Perilla

Momofuku Ssam Bar

Savoy

Applewood (in Park Slope)

Franny's (pizza and more in Park Slope - very casual)

Jimmy's No. 43

also, I haven't been to but have heard good things:

Northern Spy Food Co.

Park Avenue Winter or Spring - not sure what it is right now

If you give us a better sense of what you want we can give you more direction.

You might want to check out the new Jean Georges place in the ABC Home building, called ABC Kitchen...ate there the week it opened, and it has potential.

daisy17's suggestions are all good - add Back Forty to that, from the same chef as Savoy.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?