• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Small Commercial Cinnamon Grinder/Mill

webhund

We need to process about 20-40 lbs of cinnamon a week (use ground cinnamon for rubs and seasoning blends for local resale). Currently we are purchasing our cinnamon pre-ground, but would like to start milling and grinding our own. The problem is that our production quantity seems to be too big to do with home/consumer-grade equipment and too small to justify large commercial hammermills. We've budgeted a fair amount of $$$ for this, but the problem has been more one of finding an appropriate sized unit than the cost. If the machine could also handle grinding nutmeg, allspice, and similar hard spices, that would be a huge plus!

Any suggestions?

A friend who owns a local bakery and small café has a Waring commercial spice mill. He grinds his spices daily. Unfortunately he is off on his annual fishing trip to Florida and his sister, who is running the place while he is away, has no idea how much it cost but is sure it was under $200. - purchased at Star Restaurant supply.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I just bought a Waring commercial spice mill for use in my home. It was about $130 or so. I don't really think it would be up to processing 20-40 lbs of cinnamon a week. It's not big enough, for one thing (i.e., it doesn't hold enough at one time).

Very interesting machine! Unfortunately, I've come across a couple of variations of these while googling around the web. The basic idea seems to be a somewhat popular appliance in India and surrounding areas. This is more of a mini-grist mill than a hammer-type mill which cinnamon and hard spices generally require. Cinnamon requires more impact through a hammermill action than a slow, constant grind, which is better suited to grains.

Thanks though, as the other lengthy thread you linked to has got my little brain spinning on other ideas!

Cooks Illustrated claims that the technique used to grind has a significant impact on the end result and that cryogenic grinding is meant to produce the best results. I don't know about you but I might be inclined to leave this up to the professionals and find a source that can deliver you high quality, fresh ground cinnamon at a good price.

PS: I am a guy.

• 1 year later...

I just saw your post today. Are you still looking for the commercial grinder / mill for hard spices? How much do you want to grind in a batch? Do you want a stainless steel hammer mill or can you use mild steel hammer mill?

If you can send us the information, we can suggest a cost effective option less than $1000 (including s&H in continental USA)