• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for an atomizer..

clove2873

atomizers--they have been used by the likes of blumenthal and adria, so I thought I would give them a shot. Of course, this was impulsive and not well thought out, considering the fact that I have absolutely zero idea as to what I am going to fill it with.

Suggestions? Links? comments on their general likeness? all would be appreciated :)

What you would fill an atomizer with would depend entirely on what you were serving that you thought a little aromatherapy might enhance. In other words, we can't suggest what to put in the bottle until we know what you're doing. A shot of eau de garlic during the dessert course may not go over real well...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I truly had not the faintest idea where i was going to go with it lol agreed on the garlic scent -- probably going fo conjure up any sweet memories anytime soon :) -- but if my memory serves me well I do think khymos.org did mention a garlic/coffee/chocolate flavor pairing, so you never know. :P

It has powerful potential which is why I mentioned that knowing what you're going to use it with has to come before knowing what you're going to put in it. Rob Connoley (gfron1) did an experiment a while back where he served a non-chocolate cheesecake to random people in a completely dark booth that he aromatized with chocolate and his subjects were completely convinced they were eating chocolate cheesecake. So just suggesting assorted stuff to spray around the diners without knowing what they're eating really isn't a good plan. You're looking for a twist before you've developed the plot.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have an atomizer filled with a bit of vermouth to help my martinis stay a little on the dry side. :cool::laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Ok, I killed the fun enough making my point so...

...you can load any liquid that compliments what you're serving and spray it in the air or on the food (malt vinegar with fish and/or fries is an obvious one)...

...you can make liquid versions of dishes that diners can spray in their mouth (maybe infuse some apple juice with cinnamon and nutmeg, infuse some apple brandy with graham cracker or baked pie crust then fat wash it with brown butter, add a little demerara syrup or maple syrup and a touch of lemon juice... sprayable apple pie)...

...you can load it with a flavor characteristic of whatever you're serving (such as a vanilla spray with a wine that has vanilla as part of it's profile) to bring that characteristic forward in the taste via the nose either to highlight that flavor or push it towards a particular pairing you want to do...

...and, of course, what Toliver said...

...most importantly, just have fun.

It is my understanding that atomisers are used to intensify experiences in what has been termed techno-emotional cuisine.

Similar to Heston Blumenthal's use of headphones playing ocean sounds for his sounds of the sea, it is a means of evoking an emotional connection that heightens the diner's experience.

One could imagine a forest-themed dinner (all earthy flavours; mushrooms, truffles, with game for example), presented with some pine or oak essence in an attempt to get people to have a sense of location. Accompany this with forest sounds and you'd almost have an immersive experience.

My suggestion would be to choose a theme and integrate the other senses with it. Sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell could all come into play.

In hypnosis you evoke strong memories and sense of place by having the person immerse themselves in a scene by evoking many of the senses. You are trying to do a similar thing (without the spinning watch).

One piece of advice though: if you go too far, natural cynicism could kill the mood.

Now off to try the atomiser of Noilly Prat...

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Heston seems to be coming through as a common influence here. Here's another one ...

In the Big Fat Duck Cookbook he describes using two atomisers, one of vanilla and the other of cinnamon, each sprayed while the diner is eating something cinnamonny or vanillary, respectively. I don't recall the details (and the book's a little large to bring into work every day) but I think the idea was that the vanilla thing appeared to taste of cinnamon and vice versa, or something along those lines. Heston describes it much better than that!

I like the idea of forest smells while eating game, though.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

In the Big Fat Duck Cookbook he describes using two atomisers, one of vanilla and the other of cinnamon, each sprayed while the diner is eating something cinnamonny or vanillary, respectively. I don't recall the details (and the book's a little large to bring into work every day) but I think the idea was that the vanilla thing appeared to taste of cinnamon and vice versa, or something along those lines. Heston describes it much better than that!

The way he describes it, the item the diner is eating is flavoured with both cinnamon and vanilla, so when you inhale the concentrated aroma of one or the other, you acclimatize to it, which brings the opposite flavour to the fore on a subsequent bite of the food.

And yes, Blumenthal does use atomizers a fair bit; they're mentioned at least three times in The Fat Duck Cookbook, and at least twice on the In Search of Perfection show. So that would definitely be a good place to start.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

...(and the book's a little large to bring into work every day)

haha! I am in agreement! I brought it to my anatomy class -- as I was already finished with the day's review, and I can only stare blankly at the teacher for so long -- and it blended in quite well with all of the other (LARGE) textbooks in the room hahahahah :smile:

In addition to an atomizer of Noilly Prat behind the bar, I like to have one filled with absinthe and one filled with Laphroig for misting glasses and adding that Sazerac-like rinse or a bit of smokiness to a cocktail a la Audrey's Dreamy Dorini. Keeps from doing the In-and-Out and getting a puddle at the bottom of the drink. Just enough to coat the glass and no more. Brilliant.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol