• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Eating

christm

Hi

My wife and I will be in New York for 7 nights in December, which will encompass Christmas Day.

So I really have 2 questions -

Firstly - where will be nice (and open!) for a Christmas Day meal? Price no concern and willing to consider any type of food but would like it to be fairly special.

Secondly - any other general recommendations for our trip? Have been a couple of times before so looking for untried places. Would like a mix of high end places to real cheap authentic ethnic places.

Many thanks for your help

Martin

You might want to consider a Christmas Eve dinner. Aquavit's Julebord (many different herrings, as well as shrimps, salmons (cured and fresh), salads, cheeses, breads, roasts, Jansson's Temptation potatoes, etc.) is an appropriate Nordic feast. All that's missing is the pinnekjott.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I just looked and saw nothing really of note. This is most likely because so many restaurants are either closed or don't open up their books this far in advance.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I would use this list as a starting point:

http://nymag.com/guides/holidays/52734/

Hotel restaurants tend to be open, so I would predict that the Breslin in the Ace Hotel and Locanda Verde in the Greenwich Hotel would also be open for dinner service on Christmas Day.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd do Locanda Verde or the Breslin or Ma Peche or Jean George (all hotel restaurants and likely to be open) over Sea Grill, which was unremarkable. Not terrible, but not noteworthy either.

Momofuku Ko is open on Christmas Day. Might be one of the few times you'll be able to get a reservation.

Edited by kathryn (log)

• 1 month later...

FWIW, Zagat is reporting that Le Bernardin will be open on 12/24 and 12/25, if you are still in need of plans.

Open 12/24:

Aquavit, Bar Breton, Bistro Ten 18, Brick Lane Curry House, Bruno Jamais, Café D’Alsace, Commerce, Esperanto, Gotham Bar & Grill, I Trulli, James, Klee Brasserie, Loreley, Marea, Osteria del Circo, Piccola Cucina, Saul, Thalassa, Trattoria Cinque, Aldea, Alto, Anthos, Aureole, both A Voce's, Bar Americain, BLT Fish, BLT Prime, BLT Steak, Braeburn, Buddakan, Café Sabarsky, Convivio, Dovetail, Gus & Gabriel, Kefi, Mesa Grill, Metrazur, SHO Shaun Hergatt and Savoy.

Open 12/25 (a lot of these are also open 12/24):

Adour, Armani Ristorante, Benoit, BLT Market, Blaue Gans, Carmine's, Cornelia Street Cafe, David Burke Townhouse, Fishtail, Kittichai, Le Bernardin, Macao Trading Co., Rouge Tomate, SD26, Tamarind